Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sweden - Denmark Before/During/After!

• 21-06-2004 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see Denmark win this but I suspect the Swedish forward line will too much for them.

Sweden 3 1 Denmark

Useless factiod - These two have played each other 97 times (!) but only 2 were in competition.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

i seen your man that anchors the jimmy hill breakfast show on sky sports sunday.s
    (he looks a bit like colin montgomery) on a danish footie tv show, He tore the f@@k
    out of the whole danish team especially jesper gronkjaer ,he more or less said he ran with his head stuck up his arse and couldn,t cross the road.
    very funny

Denmark 3 Sweden 2 i hope,i have to live with the drippy fookers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

Sweden all the way. beating Denmark, then taking on Germany in the quarters, then England (or Portugal) in the semis... then France (or Czech Republic or Italy) in the final, bring it on!!!

^
    one of my nice dreams lately... :D

but seriously i honestly think Sweden will win tomorrow, i can't see them going for a 2-2 draw to help Denmark out or even play for a 0-0 or 1-1 draw even as it's not in the Swedish mentality to play unfair and put another team (Italy) out of the competition. Ibrahimovic is planning to move to an Italian club i hear and he reportedly said he is going to do his best to ensure Italy go through with Sweden. if he didn't say that he wouldn't have too many Italian fans were he to play in Italy next season i guess...

but, Denmark are a tough side also and they could beat Sweden, who knows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I hope we win too (Sweden that is).

Think we have a good chance, our strikers are world class right now (Zlatan + Henke). Midfield is pretty solid, def might not be the best but I cannot see the Swedish defence having the same troubles against the danes as they did against the Italians..

I'm going to guess on 2-0 to Sweden... fingers crossed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

SWEDEN___2 1 1 0 (6 1) 4
    DENMARK__2 1 1 0 (2 0) 4
    ITALY_____2 0 2 0 (1 1) 2

tight.
    a sweden-denmark draw and a 2 goal italian win are realistic,
    and means denmark and italy could be completely level on group results
    1. head-to-head
    2. goal difference
    3. goals scored

...it then goes down to qualifying results for euro 04 and world cup 02
    and i just checked them out and Italy will bag 2nd place if it comes down to that.

thought you might like to keep that in mind as the games develop

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

This gonna be tough for all sets of fans, be great fun for naiktris as he really really cares about the results.

Still want Danes and italy to go tru ,if Italy play for full 90 like they did for most part vs Sweden and raise their game they will blow Bul away and hopefully that will rule out any sort of GD ,and danes to win 1 -0 :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

It it ends in a tie then The results against Bulgaria are discounted.

Draw in Den-Swe
    Italy win

Leaves all with 5 points and 0 Goal Difference(all beat Bulgaria and drew with each other)

Therefore goes to goals scored
    2-2 puts
    Sweden Top Scored 3
    Denmark 2nd Scored 2
    Italy 3rd Scored 1

1-1 puts
    Sweden Top Scored 2
    Italy and Dmk 2nd Scored 1
    Then depends on whether Italy score more than 2 vs Bulgaria

0-0
    Italy and Sweden Top Scored 1 - Group winners depends on if Italy beat Bulgaria by more than 5
    Dmk 3rd scored 0

All clear really
    Sweden only need a draw - Denamrk need a high scoring draw

Rules

Uefa Site

1 Greater number of points in the matches between the teams in question
    2 Goal difference from matches between the teams in question
    3 Greater number of goals scored in matches between the teams in question *
    4 Goal difference resulting from all three group games
    5 Greater number of goals scored in all group games
    6 Coefficient derived from UEFA EURO 2004™ and FIFA 2002 World Cup qualifiers
    (points obtained divided by number of matches played)
    7 Fair Play ranking
    8 Drawing of lots by the Committee for the European Championship only
    applicable if more than two teams are level

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

im probably going to be very wrong but take latvia against germany i think bulgaria possibly could upset the masses. I dont want Italy to play enough games for totti to return, he doesnt deserve to be aloud play in this tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Sweden 2 Denmark 2 :D

Why in hell are ITV and RTE showing Italy v Bulgaria?

TV3 it is then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

Yea, fair play to TV3 for showing the match that seems to be the most interesting.

Wow, you'd wanna be well up on the soccer rules to figure out who goes thru and who's sent home. I guess all I can do is hope that the Danes beat the rivals from Sweden :)

Anyway, hopefully this will be a good match, the last one between Denmark and Bulgaria was not a pretty one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Harry2001
    Why in hell are ITV and RTE showing Italy v Bulgaria?

TV3 it is then

Oh hell! Thats it I'll have to set up a radio beside the telly and hope I get enough "signal leak" to listen to Five Live!

Mike.

• Advertisement

heading down to my local to watch the game (no TV3 at home).

so if you live down in Cork, are in a particular pub and see some foreign guy in a Swedish jersey fixated to the TV screen then that's probably me, lol

fook not on BBC.

Watch start of italy game then flick suppose its the best way with sound of 5 live as they will cover both.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I think this is one of hardest matches to call. But i will go for Sweden to win 2-1.
    It will be a tight match but Sweden will win by the odd goal. But to play it safe, dont be surprised if you see a fixed.............i mean a 2-2 draw.

I also have Larrson for a hat-trick at 40/1.

1 - 0 Denmark, although I don't think this is a fair score. Denmark started out great, but the last 20min has been all Sweden..

Bulgaria is up 1 - 0 against Italy, so maybe it won't make a difference.. but I still think Sweden deserved a goal in the first half, and I really hope they get atleast one in the second!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

1-0 Denmark, 1-0 Bulgaria. If it stays like this, Denmark win the group and Sweden come second.

Brilliant, just briliiant...

Excellent game, 2 - 2 draw well deserved... I was really laughing hard when they said that Italy scored against bulgaria, just seconds after Sweden scored.

2-2 with Sweden and Denmark, 2-1 to Italy in the other game. Sweden win the group and Denmark come second. The Danish and Swedish fans deserve joint fans of the tournament award.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

HAHA! Did you see Cassano after he scored his goal? He was ecstatic until he realised it didn't make a difference anyway! :D

I might be evil but it is great to see Italy go out. They have been sh1te for years now and they still held themselves favourites. What a lovely kick in the ass!

I ended up watching the Italy game but flicked over the check what was happening with Sweden/Denmark.

What a climax and sadly one that the Italians will jump on to excuse thier wetched form. Liam Brady has just suggested its a fix having not, by his own admission, seen the game. He spent too long in Italy (home of cynical football)

Mike.

There isn't even a remote chance that it was a setup. Italy are out because they weren't good enough to continue... Nordic victory, bye bye Italy!!

• Advertisement

Italy deserve to be out after that ****e tonight

Classic finish to the games though :D:D:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Amazing game, wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm that was in no way a fix. Sweden were lucky to get a draw.

Anyone else notice that TV3's coverage was staggered by a minute and a half, kinda ruined my flicking between channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

fix or not at least the bookies took a good rogering:confused:

Originally posted by gandalf
    Hmm that was in no way a fix. Sweden were lucky to get a draw.

Anyone else notice that TV3's coverage was staggered by a minute and a half, kinda ruined my flicking between channels.

Matches kicked off a minute apart ,but continued to be a minute and a half in the 2nd half :confused:
    Very strange that.

kdjac

I said a 2-2 draw, but my no means it was a fix. Once Liam Brady and Dunphy watch the game they will know that it wasnt. Denmark were still trying to win the game after they got the second goal.
    I'm delighted for Sweden, i think they are a good side and if they meet Germany in the Quater-finals then i could see them getting into the semis.
    Italy dont deserve to be there, they put in a poor desplay against Denmark for the 0-0, they were going great for 70 minutes against Sweden winning 1-0 but then the manager made stupid subs and Sweden came back for 1-1. And italy were really poor in the first half against Bulgaria but better in the second but it was too little to late.
    I had Sweden and Denmark for a 2-2 but only got odds of 9/2 i also had Sweden to win and Larrson let me down for the Hat-trick.

I noticed the same thing yesterday...

Mike.

just back from the pub. actually ended up meeting 7 or 8 other Swedes at my pub who i never met before, a good few of us with Swedish jerseys on, great atmosphere altogether!!!

about the match:

Sweden had much more proper shots on goal then Denmark and it should have been 2-1 to Sweden at half-time. also the penalty shouldn't have been a penalty to Sweden, but i am glad it was to make up for all Sweden's saved shots on goal. also Denmark's 2nd goal was shocking defending by Sweden, Tomasson's 1st goal was class though, great shot! Sweden's 2nd goal was always going to come no matter how well Denmark defended and had everyone back to help out, Sweden don't give up until the final whistle as has been the case against both Italy and Denmark now.

2-2 is a fair result imo, Denmark were more organised and passed the ball better, Sweden were more threatening up front with all their goal chances. fair game all-round and definitely not a fix as some locals were shouting in the pub i was in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by pogcica

No they didn't, Liam Brady mentioned that a 2-2 draw is normally about 16-1, but for this game it mysteriously became 7/2. :ninja:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    No they didn't, Liam Brady mentioned that a 2-2 draw is normally about 16-1, but for this game it mysteriously became 7/2. :ninja:

Thats because the bookies new a 2-2 was going to be good for both teams and if they left it at 16/1 for Sweden and Denmark to draw 2-2 then they would be broke so they had to cut the price.

Originally posted by pogcica
    I think the bookies would have made a decent profit. I know a few people who had Italy to win the championship. Others would have had Vieri to get top scorer, Italy to win the group, etc, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I dont think it was a fix, but players who know 2-2 can unconciously move towards such as result. The Danish keeper was weak for the last goal and just flapped at it, the defence were also "lax".

But did you see what happened once 2-2 was reached. Neither team wanted to play the ball and it was way over-obvious. The Danes stayed in their half and the Swedes played keep ball in theirs. I think Uefa would be right to say something to stamp that behaviour out. Teams should always play to win up until the end to make it fair, although I realise that the Itaians would be the first ones to do things unjustly.

Vieri and Del Piero were poor. I'm fine with them being out but its a pity for Uefa that they won the match and the only score they didnt want happened: ie a 2-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Vieri and Del Piero were poor
    Del piero has been poor for the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Yea Del Piero has had his time. For ages he was great, like totally brilliant. Now he is very very average. Maybe he will get back into it but at this late stage I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Del piero isn't even 30 yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Originally posted by redspider

But did you see what happened once 2-2 was reached. Neither team wanted to play the ball and it was way over-obvious. The Danes stayed in their half and the Swedes played keep ball in theirs. I think Uefa would be right to say something to stamp that behaviour out. Teams should always play to win up until the end to make it fair, although I realise that the Itaians would be the first ones to do things unjustly.

How quickly people forget, not remember Italia 90 RedSpider, Ireland and Holland came to an agreement on the pitch after Ireland equalised and this actually was admitted by players involved. Should Ireland have been kicked out of Italia 90 or sanctions been taken against them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

Well deserved for both Denmark and Sweden to go though. Can't see how to match could have been fixed, and it would not be in mentality of those teams to fix a game anyway.... the match certainly didn't show any sign of a fix.

Decided to watch the match at home last nite - 10 mins into 2nd half what happens? Power goes in 1/2 this bl**dy town. Ended up in the pub anyway to catch the last few minutes of the game. Missed the 2nd Danish goal, still hadn't reached the pub at that stage.

Thanks very much to ESB :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I had money on Italy to win the championship, as usual whoever I bet on gets the kiss of death. Anyway, Italy were awful last night, Del Piero and Vieri were terrible and both need to be chucked out of the Italian team permanently, Del Piero has totally lost it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

The match wasn't fixed but they done themsleves no favours with the behavior after the score went to 2-2. ITs lucky for them that it happened so late in the game, had it happened with 15-20 mins to go I wonder what Uefa would have done.

Originally posted by talla
    How quickly people forget, not remember Italia 90 RedSpider, Ireland and Holland came to an agreement on the pitch after Ireland equalised and this actually was admitted by players involved. Should Ireland have been kicked out of Italia 90 or sanctions been taken against them??

Yes, I do remember that. Gullit started jogging around. Its been well documented since and the analysts brought it up last night. But two wrongs dont make a right. Teams do it on occasion, and I think that Ireland and Holland did it much more subtely to "get away" with it.

But I think that Kida and I agree that the way they did it last night was just too too obvious. Luckily it was only a couple of minutes. I realise that both teams tried to win the match and went for it, it was not a fix, but they were both so relieved to reach the 2-2 scoreline that when they both decided not to play they "cheated" poorly.

The Italians do have a case to say something to Uefa and Fifa about it. I'm not asking for the two teams to be thrown out. But the lack of effort should be highlighted by Uefa, perhaps fine the associations, etc. They should do something or the problem will get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Theres nothing UEFA could do about it. 2-2 was a win-win situation for both teams. How could anyone realistically expect them to keep playing for a win after that scoreline was reached.

At least its nowhere near as bad as what went on years ago. What about Argentina in 1978 knowing exactly how much to beat Peru by. Peru just rolled over after allegedly receiving bribes.

Italy are the masters of time wasting, diving, killing games, conning refs and feigning injury. It was great to see them get their comuppence last night. All they did was complain about the Bulgarians tactics when they did the same at 1-0 up against Sweden but got bit in the ass.

In truth they just werent good enough and havent been for a number of years. They have no creativity in midfield and their strikers are so overrated its not funny. Apart from Milan in 2003, Italian clubs have done nothing in Europe for 6 or 7 years so why should they be expected to challenge at this level. Personally I never thought they would do well. Boring to watch so good riddance. Hopefully Germany will follow them out tonight.

Watching them last night I cant imagine why I thought they'd win the tornament. On the Sweden/Denmark game I understood the Danes had a late chance to get a 3rd, no?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Club_Med

I dont think the game was fixed beforehand, but I believe there was a "silence mutual agreement within the players".

...and the fans knew that! :)

dueadue.jpg

TIFOSI.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

There definitley wasn't a conspiracy against the Italians. The Italians were just found out. It's a pity that the Italians scored the second goal because if they hadn't all the talk would have been about how bad they were in their 3 games and not this nonsense about conspiracies!!

B.

p.s. anybody think that the Italians were mad to play Mickey Joe Harte in goal??

Buffon

Can anybody tell me how to upload more than 1 pic at a time in a single thread?

And also, how do you make the image visible in the thread rather than having to click on the file to view it?

Cheers,

B.

the img code is switched off on this board, dunno why.

Mike.

But I think that Kida and I agree that the way they did it last night was just too too obvious. Luckily it was only a couple of minutes. I realise that both teams tried to win the match and went for it, it was not a fix, but they were both so relieved to reach the 2-2 scoreline that when they both decided not to play they "cheated" poorly.

We were at 90min when 2 - 2 was reached and the ball was in play again.
    If it was 5+ min left, I'd agree that it'd be horrible behaviour, but playing out 2min of injurytime that way was more obvious and resonable than trying to score and ending up with a goal in your back.

Great game, well played by both teams, and I am really annoyed that the Italians cannot see that they are out because they aren't as good as they think they are. Instead, they are destroying the happy moments for Sweden/Denmark with their false allegations about corruptions... hopefully one day they will realize that the rest of the world isn't as corrupted as themselves.

The only thing that makes me happy is that no matter what they do, Italy are out... and oh my god is that deserved... they could hardly beat bulgaria, a team that was trashed by Sweden and beaten comfortably by Denmark...

Hopefully we will see a new Italian team in the WorldCup, with a new manager and players who actually try to play football.

Originally posted by mike65
    Watching them last night I cant imagine why I thought they'd win the tornament. On the Sweden/Denmark game I understood the Danes had a late chance to get a 3rd, no?

Mike.

No, they didnt. It was embarassing for football to watch the last couple of mins.
    It was a great game up to then and its a pity it didnt finish 2-1 or any other score other than 2-2. When I had another look at the Swedish goal (you can see it on the virtual replay at BBC.co.uk).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/virtualreplay/euro2004/index.shtml?22089

Sorensen looks as if he is not trying 100%, a bit like the Croat keeper against England (did he throw the game?). Stranger things have happened in football.

Originally posted by redspider
    Sorensen looks as if he is not trying 100%, a bit like the Croat keeper against England (did he throw the game?). Stranger things have happened in football.

Sorensen did make a balls of it alright but that happens, the way Denmark went after a third goal when it was 2-1 last night should put a stop to any of the rubbish about a conspiracy coming from the Italians

• Advertisement
Advertisement