Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sweden - Denmark Before/During/After!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

UEFA's reaction, news just in

UEFA has revealed that it is considering taking disciplinary action against Italian federation president Franco Carraro and goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon. The pair had suggested that the result of last night's 2-2 draw between Sweden and Denmark in Group C of Euro 2004 was fixed in advance. A UEFA spokesman said today that the organisation was satisfied the match was not fixed. He added that disciplinary action could be taken once UEFA had studied press clippings of Carraro's and Buffon's comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

Did you guys see the saves Sørensen had in the 1st half? I think that kinda proves he was not planning to let any ball in. He kept the Danish goal clear in the first two matches and I think he was trying to keep it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I dont think the game was fixed. I guess what I am saying is that as the game was coming to its conclusion, it was 2-1, the last minute, it had been a great battle, both sides went for the win, etc ...

It can be a case therefore that a few key players in the Danish team unconciously "allowed" the Swedes to score knowing in the back of their minds that a 2-2 was also ok. A lapse in quality defending and Sorensen making a bit of a mess of it - in those few moments they just didnt seem to be playing for their lives.

I agree totally that Sorenson played a blinder for 99% of the match and saved them on several occasions. It was a good match and I fully agree that both teams tried to win it. I do not agree with the Italian hypothesis that it was fixed from the start (although we all know that Italian clubs could have faked it like that!).

But lets put on our psychological hats for a minute.

Goalies have ultimate power in letting goals in, Grobelaar is a testament to that and they can do it so easily that not even they can tell if they did it on purpose - a Freudian slip in footalling terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Why would the Danes allow Sweden to score? If the match finished 2-1 Denmark would have topped the group. If Denmark won the group they would have had a much easier path to the final. Now that they conceded late they have to play the Czech Republic (who are the best team in group D, 2 wins and a draw from their last 3 matches against Holland). If they beat the Czech's they will most likely be playing France. I think Sweden will be delighted to have avoided that side of the draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

If Denmark won the group they would have had a much easier path to the final.

Exactly eirebhoy, I think that is that most credible "evidence" that the match was not fixed :)

-jayo

Advertisement