Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wow...

Options
  • 21-06-2004 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Not only is Liz O'Donnell very nyom nyom, but she's appears to be capable of independant thought.

She's just said on Questions And Answers that she has serious problems with GWB's policies in the Middle East/Iraq and she supports the rights of Irish people tobprotest (peacefully) at Dubya's visit to this country...

I know it has little impact on events, but its good to hear. I wonder what Mary Mary Quite Contrary and Herr Flick have to say?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gaelic cowboy

Do you think she was wrong to not go for the PD nomination for the EU seat probally was the right decision in hindsight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I think she'd have made an excellent MEP, and she'd have made the Dublin poll a lot more interesting...

You'd have to think she'd have taken FF and FG votes, Mitchell may not have got in on the 1st count and Ryan's vote would have been down as well.

She's wasted sitting on the backbench for the PDs.

I think she fancies herself for possible leadership of the PD'S what do you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Originally posted by gaelic cowboy
    I think she fancies herself for possible leadership of the PD'S what do you think.

She is far to meek to led any party. Let alone the PDs. If there was any party in the Dail her personality would suit it would be the Greens...

Liz is basically what the PDs were ment to be when they started out. Liberial Minded, Left of Centre Socialy... like the Liberial Democrats or any european liberial party. But now they have just turned into a Right wing tycoon party... too bad. Liz missed the boat. She should run for president. That woud make it interesting :)))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

she saying that this week when it will be popular idea, not that she's ever going to do about it....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by gom
    She is far to meek to led any party. Let alone the PDs. If there was any party in the Dail her personality would suit it would be the Greens...

Liz is basically what the PDs were ment to be when they started out. Liberial Minded, Left of Centre Socialy... like the Liberial Democrats or any european liberial party. But now they have just turned into a Right wing tycoon party... too bad. Liz missed the boat. She should run for president. That woud make it interesting :)))

PD's have always been the party of big business don't be fooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Not only is Liz O'Donnell very nyom nyom, but she's appears to be capable of independant thought.

Aye - I have to concur. I spluttered a mouthful of coffee when I heard her opinions on Bush/Middle East/Septic Foreign Policy in General.

She knows that Mati Harney wants out and that very few people outside the PD organisation see McDowell as leader quality - rather they see him as a charisma vacuum. Admittedly an evil oxygen thieving charisma vacuum, but still hardly the kind of person you'd want looking down on you from every lamppost come general election time.

La O'Donnell on t'other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Originally posted by gom
    Liz is basically what the PDs were ment to be when they started out. Liberial Minded, Left of Centre Socialy... like the Liberial Democrats or any european liberial party.
    This is completely wrong. The raison d'etre for the PDs foundation was as a response to the punitive tax rates on Irish workers. They espoused lowering taxation, to increase enterprise and thereby boost the country's (at the time) dire economy. These policies were eventually adopted by other parties and the rest is history. They were NEVER a left of centre party. They believed (and still do) in the right of the individual to take enterprising risks and be rewarded for those risks.

Advertisement