Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

missing or corrupted file line 38 HELP!

Options
  • 21-06-2004 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hoping someone can help me! Every time i turn on my PC i get this message.
    missing or corrupted file line 38.
    Everything seems to work all right but the odd time it goes into safe mode.
    I am completly computer iliterate so i was hoping i could get some help !!!
    I have tried to look it up but all i could understand was i need a disk ?My brother
    Gave me this pc when he was moving to Spain and i have no disks etc.
    All i do know is that its Windows 98
    Hoping to hear from someone with some idea!
    Thanks Lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

does it say which file? maybe in the title bar...a screenshot would be good too (print screen and then paste into an image editor)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Is this in windows or before windows loads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Ah Len.

You could try running msconfig and disabling the different applications, one by one, in the Startup section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

Its before Windows loads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

did it by any chance say CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT (or WIN.INI or SYSTEM.INI ) ??

Press F8 at startup - step by step and note which line gives the error.

If a.b or c.s are more than 38 lines then probably loads of other junk on the PC.

On win 95/ 98 try going into safe mode (F5) and then ok the message and after it settles down - then restart - some settings don't settle down until a good clean reboot and safe mode has less junk in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Thats when the config.sys has been reset and any device drivers you may have aint on it anymore.

So it errors, solution boot with a floppy it will use the config.sys on that load fine when it shuts down it will correct the file and problem will be gone.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

So what i should do is restart my PC with a blank floppy disk inserted?!

sorry lads but im thick as shi*t when it comes to this sort of stuff!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You need a boot disk , as you on a pc now go to www.bootdisk.com and get a windows 98 bootdisk download it run it and insert a floppy into your PC.

It will make a boot disk insert the boot disk into your buggered pc and start it up.
    You will get options
    Boot With CDROM SUPPORT|
    Boot From HD
    Boot from somfin else < this the one you choose.
    When you get to the A prompt looks like this A:/ type " C:\win.com" or C:\windows\win.com" hehe been a while cant remember where the file is....LOL its one of those without the "" part.

Or you could insert your Cd and when presented with the option to boot from Cd choose it ,Windows will start and when you reboot it will be fine.

Or When you get to the A:\ Promt you can type "Copy A:\config.sys C:\" without the ""

kdjac

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget the win98 cd is bootable - on it (usually - there are about 5 different win 98 CD's) is a utility called ERU run it (and do CFGBACK too)

Don't fix things unless you have to and don't break something unless you are sure you don't need it and backup first if you can. - don't overwrite files unless you have to - also can make that boot disk in add/remove programs in control panel

Win98 has a half life - sorta decays gradually over time

so when it says "Starting Windows 95" on the black screen Press F8 within ONE SECOND (or is it 3 - be quick)

choose step by step and WRITE DOWN any error messages.

If you have uninstalled any programs recently, remember the uninstall routine is the least tested one - I despise many comercial installers 'cos I am so sick of how they don't tidy up after themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Capt'n Midnight, that's the most accurate description of Win 9x I've ever seen...
    Win98 has a half life - sorta decays gradually over time

brought a smile to my face!

• Advertisement

I thought that too when I saw someone else post here it before.

Advertisement