Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half/Full Duplex?

• 22-06-2004 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Should my network card be set to Half or Full Duplex mode?

I'm on IOLBB Plus package.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

assuming you are connecting via ethernet, and you are referring to an ethernet card, i assume you should be on full duplex. But, considaring you probably have it hooked up to xDSL, its possible halfduplex is the correct setting.

Either way, you won't notice any difference in performance, not at the speeds your broadband connects with. If you were talking 10mbps and higher, it owuld make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Yeah, it's an ethernet card.

Been having a lot of problems the last few days. Trying to rule out different things before I look for help here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by HelterSkelter
    Should my network card be set to Half or Full Duplex mode?

I'm on IOLBB Plus package.
    Your ethernet card should normally be set to Full Duplex mode. It doesn't make any difference what DSL package you're on, because your ethernet card isn't connected directly to the DSL line, it's connected to a router that will "translate" the packets anyway, and handle any "duplex" issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

You need to match what the Modem is set to.
    If the modem is not set to auto but is fixed at 10/100MB Full Duplex then you fix yours at 10/100Full to match.
    I'd imagine your Cable modem would come set to Auto as default.
    So set your PC's network card to Auto and it should be fine.
    The problem is that the auto detect only works when both are set to auto.

Advertisement