Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grudge

• 22-06-2004 3:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

All the rage now in America - taking a perfectly good Japanese horror and churning out a 'american-ised' remake of it.

I actually really like the Gore Verbinski's remake of Ringu - The Ring (i think i'm the only one who enjoyed it more than the Japanese original - which in my opinion was a tad boring!)

With a sequel to The Ring planned for release later this year, with the director of the original Ringu Hideo Nakata directing, Hollywood have jumped on the bandwagon.

While i'm on the subject, another of Hideo Nakata's films, Honogurai mizu no soko kara (released over here as Dark Water), has been remade with Jennifer Connelly. Planned for release late this year.

Another Japanese horror film released last year was very successful, Ju-on: The Grudge, has also been remade and is currently set to be released again at the end of the year with Sarah Michelle Geller in the starring role.

The trailer for this remake (while it looks similar to the trailer for the Japanese original i've seen) is actually not bad!

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/thegrudge.html

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ju On: The Grudge is due for release her the 2nd of July. I saw the ad last night and it looks good fun - including everyone's favourite Battle Royale/Kill Bill school-girl psycho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

i assume its the remake thats being released soon//?

was the original released here ever?
    where could i get it??

..im suspicious of anything containing smg,
    im suspicious of foreign filmakers going to the states and alot of the time trying to please the american audience, and im suspicious of remakes..

but hopefully my scepticism is misplaced :dunno:

Originally posted by Chad ghostal
    i assume its the remake thats being released soon//?

was the original released here ever?
    where could i get it??
    No it's Ju-On that's being released on July 2nd :) Chiaki Kuriyama is in the trailer (Gogo Yubari from "Kill Bill: Volume I" and Takako Chigusa in "Battle Royale") and the cast is most definetely not American and certainly not SMG.
    Also the American remake isn't due for release here until approximately next year so enjoy the original! I'm assuming since UGC showed the trailer they'll be showing the movie too. Looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

damN your ugc conveniences!:)
    it better make its way down south,
    or else!. .ill have to go to dublin:(

been hearing so much abot this film for ages, that i thought it was out years ago....
    how the monkeys did it take so long??

still though.. J'attend avec impatience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by ixoy
    No it's Ju-On that's being released on July 2nd :) Chiaki Kuriyama is in the trailer

That isn't Ju-On: The Grudge then, it's Ju-On: The Curse. Which came before it... Chiaki Kuriyama is only in The Curse.

Jo-On: The Grudge was shown in the IFI last October and while it's good and definitely scary, it's not a great film. Very like Dark Water in that regard, the end pretty much sucks balls. Both films are very effective horrors though, and well worth seeing on a big screen if you can.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bedlam
    I do believe this is the trailer they were showing at UGC
    That's the one! And look, 39 seconds in, you can see Chiaki Kuriyama and the film is defintetely called "The Grudge".
    According to IMDB though the movie is, as Lodgepople says, Ju-On: The Curse. Maybe the remake is based on this movie, rather than Ju-On: The Grudge?

Lodgepole, or thers, which is better: Ju-On: The Curse, or Ju-On: The Grudge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by ixoy
    That's the one! And look, 39 seconds in, you can see Chiaki Kuriyama and the film is defintetely called "The Grudge".
    According to IMDB though the movie is, as Lodgepople says, Ju-On: The Curse. Maybe the remake is based on this movie, rather than Ju-On: The Grudge?

Lodgepole, or thers, which is better: Ju-On: The Curse, or Ju-On: The Grudge?

I've only seen The Grudge, but Chiaki Kuriyama is definitely not in it. As far as I know the first two films (of which The Curse is one) were made for TV. Apparently the US remake is based mainly on The Grudge but takes elements from all four films and adds a few of its own.

edit - That trailer is for Ju-On: The Grudge, not The Curse. The clip with Chiaki didn't appear in the theatrical version that I saw, you can even tell the quality of the picture is different. Perhaps it was added to give audiences a familiar face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Oh, my, god. Sarah Michelle Gellar in the role of the nurse? Er... yeah, didn't see who directed it... Why would he want to do an American version of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I've seen Ju-On: The Curse and also Ju-On: The Grudge 2. Ju-On: The Curse (both 1 & 2) were made for tv so I doubt it's that one that's been shown here. I'll be interested in seeing the Japanese theatre re-make. It's supposed to be exactly the same story more or less and Lodgepole if you didn't like the end of The Grudge you probably won't like the end of The Curse. It's one of those that ends suddenly leaving you going "huh?".

I saw The Curse by myself in my bedroom with the lights off and I can honestly say no film has made me look over my shoulder since I was a kid until this one. I'm expecting stupid story with sh!tloads of atmosphere.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

I managed to get the 4 Ju On DVD's from ebay:

Ju On: The Curse - First "Stright-to-tv-movie". Good flick, very freaky. But it does seem unfinished. Has Chiaki Kuriyama in it as the girlfriend of one of the kids living in the haunted house.

Ju On 2: The Curse 2 - Second "Stright-to-tv-movie". Huge disappointment. Only 40-50 minutes long and the first 25 minutes deals with covering everything that happened in the first movie. And not just re-shot scenes, they lifted everything from the first one, edited it and pieced it togther. The remaing scenes deal with the remaing characters from the first movie. Those scenes were great though.

Ju On: The Grudge: First theatrical movie. Not a remake of the tv movies, which was nice. Just a continuation of the house. More people move in, come in contact and...well... I wont ruin it! But sure as sh*t, no sign of Chiaki Kuriyama! This is the one that is gonna be released on July 2nd.

Ju On: The Grudge 2: Second theatrical flick. Havent watched this one yet. Waiting to see the first one in the cinema, then gonna watch it. The summary describes it as a local tv show hears about goings on in the house, so they send cameras into investigate.....I think you can see where this is going. but you can get this movie from CD Wow HK - http://www2.cd-wow.com.hk/detail_results_2.php?product_code=11451

Overall, very entertaining movies. They can be confusing at times, but always freaky as hell and you can always work out whats happening by the end! Definitely worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I got ju on the grudge 1 and ju on 2 on dvd the other day. I watched the first one and then went to look at the second one and it looked like it was done on a camcorder and it didnt look like a sequel. Only found out on the net later about the 2 tv versions and 2 cinema versions and the differences. Bit confusing

Does anyone know if the first tv ju-on and the second cinema ju-on are worth getting now??

Advertisement