Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunburn - Any remedies?

• 22-06-2004 9:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I was out on sea fishing on a boat all day yesterday and I got burnt to a cinder (Face/next only). Only cures or remedies out there? I've been dowsing myself with my girlfriends moisturiser since I came home.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

natural yogurt/after sun and drink plenty of water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

cut a tomato in half and rub on skin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

lots and lots of aloe vera - nice skin cooling effect

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

To speed healing take the following supplements for a few days after getting burned: 1,000 mg of vitamin C, 400 I.U. of vitamin E, 15 mg of beta carotene, and 1-2 tablespoons (or about 3 capsules per teaspoon) of flaxseed oil, an essential fatty acid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Natural yoghurt works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

use the aloe vera with menthol, i heard that sour milk (the stuff that floats to the top) is pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Drink as much water as possible. Calomine Lotion is good for treating the burn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

rub honey all over your back and leave it there for about an hour and when you remove it the sunburn is gone.So you can either do this or acknoledge that im bull****ing and sit through the pain which will leave you with lovely tan.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

lay in a bath of milk.....

Trust me, it work's....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭yankinlk

hot shower - as hot as you can take it, right after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Thanks for all the reply's folks. I'm feeling better today after dowsing myself constantly with Alo Vera yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you're stuck for all that fancy stuff, as someone said above the tomato thing works a treat, takes the sting right out.

three and a half years in tenerife and it was the best thing i ever found for getting rid of the burning, despite trying just about everything.

although not as good as sitting inside an air conditioned bar al day drinking prevents all sorts of sun related problems, including getting a suntan. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

hot shower - as hot as you can take it, right after

dont you mean cold water?--i was always told that anyway.....?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

no a hot shower is the best thing for it. it only works it its pipng hot tho, as in kettle hot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You sadist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Have a bath to make sure all your pores are open then coat your self with after sun, yougart would be good too but how much of it do you need for your whole body!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

yea..aloe vera is the business. natural healing and antieptic qualities.
    lived in espana for a little while and ate drank and lived on the stuff. (used to chop leaves of plants growing in the garden and just rub all over)

(not that me burns....)

edit: is very good for general scar tissue or damaged skin (old burns)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Apparentley, the tongue of a South American llama provides great relief for sun burn. So if you have one handy, make it lick you where it hurts. And if you could get one for the whole evening, some candles, soft music, a bottle of Chateau Coufran...oops... sorry, I drifted off there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Can't beat the good old reliable 'Aftersun' cream..... stay away from the Gel though, that **** stings!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

I burned my legs so bad last summer I was unable to walk or sleep in a bed for two weeks, by the end my legs where uoozing water :ninja:

The pain was unbearable (1 pack of painkillers/day)

Anyway I used alovera gel, gave me relieve for about 10 minutes then back to the prickly heat....

Sun block, sun block, Sun block, sun block, Sun block, sun block, Sun block, sun block, Sun block, sun block.

Thanks JoePC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

My brother was out playing football, and he got burned so bad! He was lobster red, but refused aftersun, saying he was too "manly" (kids:rolleyes: ) Halfway through the night, he gave in, and lathered on the aftersun. Woke up next morning, and he was bright orange! Aftersun had bronzer in it! And he goes to an all boys school, ripped the sh*t out of him! Had the loveliest ring of white around his face though...
    Just goes to show, always read the labels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

Originally posted by Flashling
    My brother was out playing football, and he got burned so bad! He was lobster red, but refused aftersun, saying he was too "manly" (kids:rolleyes: ) Halfway through the night, he gave in, and lathered on the aftersun. Woke up next morning, and he was bright orange! Aftersun had bronzer in it! And he goes to an all boys school, ripped the sh*t out of him! Had the loveliest ring of white around his face though...
    Just goes to show, always read the labels!

lol.. say he preferred the pain then.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Sunburn - Any remedies?

Personally i like to have a couple of Pint bottles of bulmers lots of ice- and get wasted so you forgett about the pain. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

vinegar :)

Advertisement