Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to use 2 x DSL modems at the same time?

• 22-06-2004 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it's possible to use 2 x DSL modems at the same time? I have wireless at home but it doesn't reach the far end of my garden and I was wondering if I can plug in another DSL wireless modem router at the other end of my house. My current wireless router doesn't support WDS so I can't wireless bridge another access point.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i suppose it might be possible if you plugged one router into the other one (if you know what i mean). But i couldn't guarentee that.

Basically your setup would be like this: wirelesscomputer>wirelessrouter>normalrouter>internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

The problem is that the two routers are too far apart. I'm considering investing in the Apple Airport Express if I can plug in two ADSL modems at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Why not just get a beefier aerial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Sounds like a non-runner to me. Are you wondering because you already have a phone connection at the far end of the network? I don't think you could add a second adsl signal onto an existing line. Seems like you're options are a better wifi antenna (can be homemade - http://www.wireless.org.au/~jhecker/ ) or lay some cat 5 down your garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Buy a wireless access point, and connect it using ethernet to your existing dsl wireless modem router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

and buy a long cable.

A really long cable.

/me doesn't like all this hype about wireless voodoo magick

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I really don't want to buy another cable i.e. the whole point of wireless. I might just move my existing wireless router modem to a more central location in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

As mentioned above - get a wireless access point - I thought this is exactly what they're for???

Unfortunately my Wireless router doesn't support WDS so I can't get another wireless access point to extend my current wireless network.

Advertisement