Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6600 Isp Gprs/wap 2.0 Meteor OR Vodafone?

Options
  • 22-06-2004 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi

I bought a 6600 recently, tried to get the gprs working with vodafone, no joy, got a free meteor sim, still no joy, rang o2 they said yeah we support it i told them that meteor and vodafone dont support it and asked him to check it out , he said "WE SUPPORT IT", went to o2 shop and was told "no, we were told we cant suport it because its wap2.0"

i read here that some people have got it workin on o2

so does anyone have the 6600 working with wap 2 or gprs internet ? I spent 280 euro on this damned phone and still cant use the internet features on it apart from mms on meteor

searched for aages for the settings , got them sent from meteor and vodafone and the nokia site, have deleted all 5 bloody gprs profiles now , except the Meteor ISP and Meteor MMS

someone please post the settings for WAP 2.0 GPRS ISP on Meteor

forgot to mention i'm on Meteor and vodafone , pay as you go, if anyone has it workin on o2 i'll buy an o2 sim

Got MMS working , no wap as of yet .. meteor :), they said tehy'd send the ISP settings out to me hope it works .....someone please post the settings for WAP 2.0 GPRS ISP on Meteor

ok i got some setting for wap, but still no internet , gonna try copy them in soon

cool !

Thanks BrianG

looks like i'll be switching over to o2 today so :)

damned bloody wap 2 gprs crap arrgh!!!!
    =====================================

Here are the settings i got for meteor for GPRS WAP: Note these arn't for ISP just plain wap :( i want ISP settings, works on 6600

Conection Name: *This can be anything you want
    New WAP GPRS service

Data Bearer:
    GPRS

Access Point Name:
    wap.mymeteor.ie

User name:
    my

Prompt password:
    no

Password:
    *** (i think its wap)

Authentication:
    Secure

Homepage:
    http://wap.mymeteor.ie

Connection security:
    Off

Session mode:
    Permanent

Now enter advanced settings ....
    Options, Joystick down, press
    Advanced settings

Phone IP address:
    Automatic or blank or 0.0.0.0

Primary name server:

Second. name server:

Proxy server address:
    none or blank or 0.0.0.0

Proxy port number

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Meteor and Vodafone don't offer GPRS ISP (Internet) to pre-pay users (just WAP and MMS), at least the last time I asked, it was for post-pay customers only

No one has posted Vodafone's WAP 2.0 settings and they haven't released them (yet)

Meteor support WAP and MMS for this handset so they should be able to get you sorted for these services

O2 support pre-pay GPRS ISP (Internet) though if you are after that?

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭dermoto

Originally posted by DubWireless

O2 support pre-pay GPRS ISP (Internet) though if you are after that?

BrianG

are u sure? if so exactly what are the settings, and plz dont refer me to that 7650 thread, them settings dont work on a 6600.

has ANYONE got, say opera (hence an Internet Access point) working on the 6600??

Ive rang o2 and they said it was all setup for my acc

help.

ps: my o2 pp gprs is free for some reason :-) shhhh!

Originally posted by dermoto
    are u sure?

pp.internet is the access point

BrianG

doesn't work :-(

do i put in the proxy in the advanced settings?
    also, if so, is the port 8080, or the normal http port, 80.

and the username and pwd: are they gprs, cos it doesn't work for me, and ive tried several different combinations

hi, can you try it with no proxy details just auto IP and enter the DNS

yeah you can use gprs as the username and password (or anything really)

and that 1740 have specifically set up (provisioned) your account for the pp.internet access point (not just MMS and WAP)

post back how you get on...

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 madden

Hi
    Finally got GPRS ISP Internet working , only on o2 tho, opera works great :)

settings ...

Connection name:
    o2 internet prepaid

Data bearer:
    GPRS

Access Point name:
    pp.internet

username, prompt password and password
    Blank or ****

Auth:
    normal

homepage:
    http://www.o2.ie

Phone IP:
    auto

Primary NS:

Secondary NS:

Proxy:
    blank

Proxy Port:

in Opera make sure the right access point is in use by default (name at top)
    also make sure that it is not trying to use a proxy

press number 8 when opera is loaded up

scroll across to general then select 2 Default connection: o2 internet prepaid

scroll accross to advanced then down to number 4 Enable proxy : Off
    it dont matter if the proxy is entered or not so long as its set to off

Ok, just been on to 1740 and they assured me that my account is provisioned for pp.internet. was also onto 1747 earlier today and a (very very helpful) girl told me it was provisioned and sent me settings for email prepaid, which used pp.internet as the access point and also had all DNS addresses setup.
    Still no luck :-(

whats happening, exactly, in Opera is I Open opera, it asks me what AP i want to use, I select an the internet one (as setup above) and it begins to connect. The "G" in the square begins to flash in the corner for about 3 seconds, then it just switches straight back to the mast icon (regular GSM signal icon) Opera stays a blank white (not crashed or anything)

I dont understand. ive tried everything. Even the settings that have been posted above. The only thing i can think of is that my acccount ISNT provisioned, even though 3 people (another cust care person a few days ago) told me it was, after i clarified myself several times and refered to the access point as "full internet", pp.internet and "not WAP, the actual internet, it uses a different access point" (seemed kinda cocky telling them how their network worked, but i wanted to be clear!)

The main reasons I want an internet APN is for IM and a weather program. and maybe a small bit of opera for checking cinema listings etc..
    While on the subject do www.filminfo.net have a WAP site??
    More to the point thou, anyone have any ideas on the internet thing?
    My settings MUST be right so I can only imagine its 1 of 2 things:

MY SIM card is outdated.
    if so, ill get a sim upgrade on saturday in waterford.

My account isn't really provisioned
    In which case o2 helplines are full of liars. :-(

at 1:40pm today it started working. out of nowhere.
    Id say the email i sent last nite to o2 had something to do with it. funnily enuf though, the reply from o2 said it was not possible to use the web or email on "that phone model". I emailed them back from the phone and thanked them for their "help" :-)

btw, anyone using Opera, be careful, it will eat thru euros of credit within seconds!
    Switch images off, and at offpeak times, ur prob better off using CSD connection. slower, but much cheaper. (u cud look up xtravision top 10 fro example in 90seconds in CSD connection, costing bout 16cent on speakeasy, but in GPRS, unless the xtravision page is only 5kb - HA! itsa gonna cost u a lot more, prob around 1.60eurwith images OFF)

I mainly want it for a weather program i have.

thanks for your help guys.

good to hear you got set up in the end (it can sometimes take a bit of persistence ;))

look up the likes of http://www.pdaportal.com to build a bookmark list of sites designed for mobile devices (more text based / less (and usually optimised) graphics

p.s. for irish weather info on a mobile device check out http://www.weather.ie/mobile

BrianG

Advertisement