Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embarrassment and You

Options
  • 22-06-2004 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Embarrassment, we’ve all been there. I unfortunately have been there more times than I would like. See I have one major problem, I am a very very strange man, who used to be a very very strange boy who once was a very very strange child. When I first meet a person they generally think im mad (Im not and I have papers to prove it!) and I try and prove that im not by “acting normal”, and this never goes well. I once actually said to women I had just met “I might be a bit of an oddball but I can assure you im not dangerous”. And there is this little voice in my head that says “Gerard you fool!” but by this point iv already spoken so I try to recover by saying “im just joking, I actually am dangerous” she looks at me. Then I say “No im not really” she continues to look at me. Then I say “Im really not” Then I do what I always do in this situation. I apologias walk away and die a little inside. Is it any wonder im single? So I put it to you gentle board user. Make me feel better by proving im not the only one who makes a fool out of himself on a regular basis, share you Embarrassing horror stories so we may all be cleansed and get on with our lives.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

I think you should add starting this thread to your list of embarrassment....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trent_derby

A really hot girl onced used my drums, at the end of the gig she said "thanks for letting me use your drums" to which i stupidly repied "oh its ok, thanks for playing them" ?!

How stupid was that?!

Oh, and once i had my hair dyed blue and i dived into a swiming pool, and because it had not dried properly it ran down my face and everybody pointed and laughed at me.

I cried for days like a little scholl girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

ahem we school grils dont cry half as muchas some would like to think...

ok... walking though parnell square (this is a coupla years ago but anyway, people remind me of it, then point&laugh, to this day, so it merits noting...) and yeah, was a nice day, talking to my mates, y'know, havin the craic, (completely sober before anyone questions..) then all of a sudden, im on the ground, on a traffic island, face to the dirt, and my shoes are off around 10 feet behind me, side by side in tyhe middle of the road.

to this day i have nooooooooo idea what happened.

if you ever say something completely idiotic to someone, and you know you cant fix it, and they're like 'what?', just get offended, and apologise sarcastically for expressing yourself, then storm off, treading the moral highground. at least that way, dignity is left (fairly) intact, and there's no danger of you falling as you run away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭snowy (REAL)

i was in marley park in the play ground and i was standing on a swing, swinging back and forth with my hands on the just above the chain rope thing the swing is attached to.
    when i jumped off the swing kicking the swing forward and my hands were still above the chains.. mean while the swing goes over my head hits me in the back of the legs and the chain is wrapped tightly round my wrists.
    i scream out in pain and everyone in the playground looks at me all the parents and the little children and i'm standing in the middle of the playground tied up in a swing.
    that was a few days ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Sh*t, that sounds really painful! :eek:
    xm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bheansidhe

Perhaps I am just lucky but I've no moments of "blushing" shame - at least not yet :) Okay there was one; I was in mexico on a really rough area of beach, and I foolishly allowed myself to get talked-in to going in the water - I'm a little afraid of oceans and depths that I can't see to the bottom of. Within minutes of being tossed about by the to and fro of the waves, I decided that I had had enough and began to make my way to the beach - Bad f*cking idea! Almost home free (water just knee deep) an in-coming wave came up behind me and knocked me to the ground (head first and yeah, ouch) and sucked me back out into the waves - head over feet! After much swallowed water and slightly more than dissorientated, the sea spat me back out onto the well populated beach "sans" the top of my bikini ;)

Hey, I guess that does count as a "blush" moment!

Thus I am normal :)

Ps* I never did get the top of my bikini back and lost my sunglasses as well, but all isn't so bad when I managed to walk away with my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 smearacake

well today i walked up to a dude and told him i had no friends and asked if i could stand beside him...he soon moved away....i kept seeing him..and i may have been talking to myself....damn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Laine

Embarressing moments? I have these probably two/three times a day. I regularly feel like a complete twit. Even those moments that come out of nowhere. You know, like a shop assistant says something and you make (what you think is) a whitty comment back, only to get a blank motionless face. Cringe. Seriously, Im lucky to just get through everyday without completely disgracing myself, nevermind trying to keep a 'rep' at the same time. I think Ive come to embrace it recently, though. (The Two Pete's have responsibility for that)

wasn't that painful i was just really embarrassed cause all the parents and little kids
    were laughing at me:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Im one of those people lacking any form of co-ordination whatsoever so i always end up making a complete tit of myself in sports.

Exhibit A:

I cannot play badminton to save my life. If I hit it and it flops into the net im doing well. One time in a match I was serving, as usual i missed the shuttle, but not only that i managed to let go of the racket, let it fly up into the air and then proceed to arrive in a clatter upon my head.

Exhibit B:

I once missed an open goal, less than half a metre away from me. all the hot girls from french college were watching :(

I could go on but the amazing fact that I've scored more own goals than proper goals in my life really goes to show the true kind of sportsman that I am.

Ahh Phys Ed.....I dont miss it a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Jack Frost

Oh no, bad memories, bad bad memories! Not telling you anything. Not telling you anything!!!

Lets just say i'm not exactly very welcome in Paris anymore....ahem, bad memories!!

- Jack Frost

when i was younger back in the old days when i was about 12 in Primary school, i was forced into singing in a choir. long story short we were singing in some schools thing which was stupid cause i couldn't sing. so i was sitting there and this person beside me who i had some how pissed off starts poking me.
    i tell them to go away and they do but when we stand up the peson who i pissed off grabs me and throws me forward ( the seats were at a slant and i was at the back) i ended up in the middle pf the seats with all the lights shining on me, everyone could see i had just been thrown from the top, i had to walk up to the back again red faced with all the parents watching me twas a horrible experience :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Steve Conway

OK, here's one of my (many) foot-in-mouth episodes.

It happened in a work location, about 8 or 9 years ago.

This new woman had joined the team, but she was quite prickly. And she was always going on and on about people treating her like a sex object, and would take offence easily, and would also constantly accuse co-workers of staring at her chest.

Now, the one thing I didn't know, is that she was paranoid about the fact that she had what she considered to be a very small ahem "chest area", so her remarks were probably over-compensation.

So there we are one day . . .

HER: (sounding accusatory)
    "I suppose you're just like the other men here - you only talk to my breasts"

ME (trying to show that I viewed her as a work colleague, and that her being male or female made no difference)
    " I'm sorry, I didn't even notice you had any . . ."

Boy did I pay for that one!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

personally I maintain that if it were not for beer-loving I'd be super suave, but that would imply I've been drunk perpetually all my life so I guess I can't hold alcohol responsible.

Had been talking to a chap I just met who fabulously enough had heard of ppl like Douglas Adams and seemed capable of conversation that made me want to maintain consciousness. So we were all heading back to an appartment in a large group and was walking along atop a wall doing my best to be gracefull and free spirited (failing I suspect) When it came for my dismount he offered his hand and advised me to be careful not to fall. I scoffed at him but naturally enough landed closer to the groud than I would have like!!! (for 'closer to' please read 'on') Really hurt my knee, limped for a week! Just a day in the life..... 'sigh' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭monkey lover

I was in a school chor too when i was younger in primary school, and we were singing a really high song and while i as singing it my voice kinda jumped and broke, my friend looked at me and I stook my tongue out at him. All this time, the conductor was watching me and he made me stand up in fromt of OVER 600 PEOPLE and sing the highest bit of the song :eek:

I managed to do it though:) ...............kinda:(

I hope all thses are making you feel better ger!

Advertisement