Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Mayor Election

Options
  • 22-06-2004 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the exact details of the recent Dublin mayor elections ? I thought I saw on RTE a new mayor .. FG being elected.

The previous guy didnt get a second term, I forget his name, but cant blame anyone for not re -electing him, he had a bit of a mouth on him. RTE said something along the lines of "... he dare to be different but sadly it didnt work out for him"

Does anyone know the full story? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Royston, we hardly knew ya. So long!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The previous guy couldn't have been elcted again even if they'd wanted him as he didn't run for the council.

As for who the new guy is, here's RTE's report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

The Labour Party's Michael Conaghan has been elected as the new Lord Mayor of Dublin. Mr Conaghan was voted into office last night following a pact between Labour, Fine Gael and the Green Party. The same combination also elected Labour's Catherine Connolly as the Mayor of Galway, while a Fianna Fail-Fine Gael-Labour coalition elected Sean Martin, the brother of Health Minister Micheal Martin, as the Mayor of Cork. Elsewhere, Michael Hourigan was elected as Fine Gael's first Mayor of Limerick for 14 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

The previous guy couldn't have been elcted again even if they'd wanted him as he didn't run for the council.

oh, i thought it was because Royston was ripping the piss out of everyone all the time and didnt exactly look like a mayor:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    oh, i thought it was because Royston was ripping the piss out of everyone all the time and didnt exactly look like a mayor:D
    Ken Livingstone isn't quite Dick Whittington either:) (though even the most ardent doomsayers would concede that he hasn't done an entirely disastrous job)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats more Ken got elected by the public, crazy ideas those city slickers have! Ho hum....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I do like the fact that the new mayor is taking part in the march on Friday in his official capacity. What a way to start a new job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

In Ireland, a mayors term is usually just one year. And it then moves on to someone else in the controlling party, or parties.
    It's nothing really to get excited about, unless you're thing is bright shinny things.

Advertisement