Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish National TKD Squad in Cork June 26th

• 22-06-2004 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

The Irish National Taekwon Do squad will be in Cork Saturday next, June 26th, to perform a TKD demonstration.

This team of black-belts are the current World Champions in the Team Pattern Event and Team Power Event (this consists of board breaking, requiring both accuracy and strength), and were also European Champions in 2003. In the European Championships 2004, the team brought home an unprecendented 8 medals, 2 silver and 6 bronze.

The standard of TKD is very high in Ireland, and this demonstration will give Cork club members and interested parties a chance to see the World Champions in action.

The demonstration takes place in Ballyphehane Community Centre at 12.30 pm (for approx 1/2 hour). It will be followed by a one hour training session with the squad which is limited to Cork members. Anyone interested is more than welcome to come and watch.

Check out http://www.inta.ie for information on TKD in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Originally posted by dudara
    It will be followed by a one hour training session with the squad which is limited to Cork members.

Good luck with that. Seriously. We had a seminar with them in DIT and I thought I was going to die. :) It was a great class though.

Have Fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As it's only supposed to be an hour and will have kids etc involved as well, I hope that it won't be too heavy. I don't want to spend Sunday creaking around the place like a geriatric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Can't believe i overlooked this thread.

So, how did this go? Would love to have gone and seen this. How physical was the actual training session?

Am I correct in saying that this is the Irish olympic team? My trainer Ruari O'Brien from Cobh is there coach! He's a 4th dan, and sh!t hot at TKD.

This would explain why he was absent from training that weekend, and had another guy take over his class.

memphis:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No, it wasn't the olympic team. WTF is the chosen form of TKD for the olympics. This training session was with the ITF squad.

However, it was very impressive. They performed the team patterns which won them gold. Very intelligent choreographing turned the patterns into very visual displays. Some individual patterns followed, which though good, didn't have the impact of the team patterns. A team of 5 men all reverse turning kicking in time is very engaging.

This was then followed by board breaking and flying kicks, and then the training session began. It was an hours workout, nice and light, but concentrating on fixing small problems here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 irishphat

Some great traditional artists in the INTA.

obv. great at disruction as well - well done lads on what was by all accounts a great demo

• Advertisement
Advertisement