Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

17inch alloys on Mitsubishi Colt

Options
  • 22-06-2004 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭

im looking to put 17 inch Wolfrace Mantis's put on my Colt but Im getting a lot of conflicting info from every garage/motorshop I ask about it....

Im being told absolutely not by one place, no problem whatsoever by another and also that i might have to **** about with the arches and that it could affect the handling negatively.

just wondering if anyone here has done it? or knows for definate or can give me a view at all.... will it much hassle getting them on? will it negatively impact the handling?!

also id have no problem with 16 inch ones, but there seems to be a very limited amount of 16" alloys about in the style im looking for... does anyone know where i could find a 16" set similiar to the Mantis's (5 skinny spokes, for lack of a better description!) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

I had this problem before, different places giving different answers. I basically went to the place that said they would fit, and they put em on. Sure enough, they fitted perfectly.
    Some garages are more strict about fitting than others. Yes they might fit, but if you put 2/3 people in the back, they are gonna rub, therefore, some places say no they won't fit.
    Yeah 16's are tougher to get cause there isn't a lot of demand for them. Sizes usually go from 15s to 17s. Wolfrace (who do the mantis) only do the Voodoo II in 16s (I think they're the only Wolfrace models in 16s)....

Voodoo_2.jpg

The mantis are nice, but I think they look terrible on motors with tiny discs and/or drums. The discs look really crappy as the slender spokes on the mantis show everything behind the wheel (especially in the bigger size wheels)

Mantis...

Mantis_Shadow_Chrome.jpg

Hope this helps,

DC.

Just found these Wolfrace options for 16 inchers (5 spoke): -

wr%20excite%20r%2001_small1.jpg

and

wr%20excitr04_small1.jpg

Both are €799 including tyres on http://www.pro-parts.net

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Jays they're nice might get some myself!

Ive got the original alloys that were on the car when it was ordered in 1999 - they're not great at all - there's huge space between the top of the tyre and the car - needs lowering to look good I suppose.

Yeah, are those the Colts that come with tiny 13" alloys with huge profile tyres? :D
    It's a shame, because there are some nice arches on the Colts.

DC.

yeah - they're the one's - they're impossible to keep clean too, when I bought the car they were covered with oil/dirt around the rims - still find it hard to keep me up to scratch.

They really ruin the car!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you will have to get appropriate tyres to fit the 17" rims so that your speedo continues to read properly.
    Using the tyre calc on www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html and assuming you have 195/65 on 13" you would need about a 215/40 tyre - play about with the combinations yourself. Just to let you know that tyres in these sizes are €150-200 each (I paid €160 for two 235/55/17" Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres recently)!
    Given the increase in diameter you will also be widening the rim which could cause problems with the arches and it is not cheap to have them rolled!
    You may also experience handling problems if you aren't using the correct offset. You may also experience a harsher ride because there would be less tyre absorbing the bumps.
    AFAIK many places don't do this kind of sale anymore (or disuade you from it) because of potential legal issues if you crash.
    Lastly and as already mentioned, your braking system will look quite small behind many styles of wheel.

Actually, just out of curiosity, does a change like this need to be recorded with your insurance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Anything that makes your car more attractive to thieves has to be disclosed to your insurance company - the basis of the original risk assessment has changed and you are obliged to inform them of the change.

Yeah that's the case...but I wonder how many people actually go running to the insurance company when they slap a set of alloys on??? :)

DC.

Originally posted by trotter_inc
    yeah - they're the one's - they're impossible to keep clean too, when I bought the car they were covered with oil/dirt around the rims - still find it hard to keep me up to scratch.

Yeah I think it's something very few people think of when they buy wheels. Some people buy a nice set with loads of tiny spokes, crevases and studs, and forget that they will be a nightmare to keep clean.
    Personally, I go for wheels with nice clean lines, and as smooth as possible (e.g. the Voodoo IIs). That way, they look brand new again when you wash them and they don't have all that "too hard to get at without a toothbrush" dirt still on them :)

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Firstly its people with Colts with 17's you need to be talking to not 'garage/motorshop' monkey types. The majority are talking through their backsides and know little or nothing about your situation they'd like to think they do.

If I was to go into most of these shops and ask about putting 17's on my Corsa most would say its imposible , it would take alot of work or it would cause problems. I have had 2 sets of 17's on my car the first set going on over 3 years ago. I have had no problems with the car that could have been caused by the wheels. My car is lowered 50mm with a full sports suspension kit and the wheels dont rub. This is down to proper Offset/Wheel dims/tyres.

Best bet for a Colt would be a 7 inch (wide) rim with 205/40/17 tyres. I would recommend Nankang's they are cheap and the side wall slopes in more then most most tyres thus making it less likely to rub. You can pick up Nankang's for €80 in a place behind Sam Hire on the Red Cow Roundabout. I have never had any problems with these tyres.

• Advertisement

80 euro?? Thats a brilliant price!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by trotter_inc
    80 euro?? Thats a brilliant price!!
    I believe that you get what you pay for and given that tyres are the only thing going to help you stop skidding into the car in front, I would not trust them one little bit.
    Judging by reviews I have read (see http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15118 for example) they are alright in the dry but crap in the wet.
    If I were you i would avoid at all costs!
    (christ look at their website)

have a look at www.eiretyres.com for some other tyres.

cheers kbannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I had decided on these..

rvo.jpg

Team Dynamics - RVO, as they come in 16"s but its now three months on and I still cant find anyone willing to sell me them, online or around here. Antan stock them, but not the 16", only 15 and then 17, which defies the point cos if im going to get 17"s I'll get one of the ones I originally wanted.

So at this stage I think Im just going to bite the bullet and get 17"s on and put up with the slighter worse handling and slower speed...

Anyway that brings me to the point, I havent great understanding of the measurements/sizes with tyres and tyres the 17"s im buying come with are 205/40/17, but on the website guide for the wheels it recommends 215/40/17 - would I get away with 205s on it? Or would I be better off getting 4 new ones the 215 size (im going to have to buy 2 new tyres either way even if I stick with the 205 size).
    Is there that much difference between the two? (bearing in mind the rubbing risk with 17" wheels on a colt as it is).
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

(ps: or if anyone knows a place that might have those Team Dynamics in 16" for a reasonable price, dont be shy - nice one)

Advertisement