Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayaking for beginners?

Options
  • 22-06-2004 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good beginners kayak (for an adult)? Hopefully <500 euro!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Time Man

I can't really recommend one but you should take a look for a second hand one. THeres a board downstairs in Great Outdoors where you usually find an ad or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

are you in a club? are you a total beginner?
    For learning you should be able to use club boats, after a few months you should know what you like (river running etc) & have sat in a few other peoples boats to try them out.

Personally I like the Perception Dancer which is around 500 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You guys in a club here in Dublin? I need to get back on the water..

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Time Man

I have a dagger myself but need to get a new boat soon due to a knee injury and the angle I sit in the dagger at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Trojan
    You guys in a club here in Dublin? I need to get back on the water..

Al.

I'm going to join Silverbridge club in Drogheda : http://www.sbkc.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't suppose anyone here would have a contact number for anyone in Silverbridge kayak club? I've mailed them about 3 times in the past 2 weeks to try and find out about the beginners kayaking course but i've had no reply and I really want to go on the course :(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

There's no one "beginners boat" that's best. As the previous posters have mentioned it depends on what you plan on doing with it.

A sea touring kayak probably isn't the best option on a fast river :)

If you're doing a beginners course, talk to your instructor and (if you're at the right school) he should be happy to let you try a few different boats. Some are more stable in the water, some are more agile, some are perfect for straight line speed and cruising around bays, some are purely for fun in the surf. You can get good all-rounders once you have an idea what you'd like to do, or even where you plan on taking it.

You can always try the Irish Canoe Union for your nearest school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

This is something I really must try out. Anyone in the Galway area kayaking? Any club tips for the Galway region?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Blessington Adventure Centre are doing an introductory course this weekend - $150 for 2 days (Sat. & Sun.)

045-865092

Advertisement