Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going home!

• 22-06-2004 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

So, after 8 years outside Sweden, last 2 years in Ireland, I am finally moving back home. My last workingday is Friday, and I believe I will leave Ireland on Tuesday/Wednesday next week.

Currently I am on the Eircom 2MBit line, uncapped, for 204Euros a month.
    I am moving to Stockholm, and these are my alternatives:

All lines are uncapped unless stated otherwise.

www.telia.se
    Telia 512K = 35Euros a month
    Telia 2Mbit = 45Euros a month
    Telia 8Mbit = 50Euros a month
    Telia 10Mbit = 50Euros a month

www.bonet.se
    Bonet 1Mbit = 35Euros
    Bonet 26Mbit = 45Euros

www.bredbandsbolaget.se
    BBB 10Mbit = 45Euros a month
    BBB 24Mbit = 50Euros a month

BredBandsBolaget also offer fiberconnections in some areas (coveres a large potion of Stockholm). If I am in such an area, these options are also available. The difference between the fiber and the DSL lines is that fiber is bi-directional (so the 100Mbit fiber means 100Mbit up and down).

BBB 10Mbit = 35Euros a month
    BBB 100Mbit = 100Euros a month, DL cap 300Gigs / month. Additional 100Gigs can be bought for 25Euros.

Ireland was nice, and so were the other countries I lived in, but its going to be real nice moving back home!

When will Ireland have connections matching there? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

When Sweden invade Ireland again. Launch the longboats lads. This time we will welcome you. Only dont steal all our nice looking women like ye did the last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I'd let them if they gave me 10mbit/s for €35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭GavinKeller

Originally posted by kmick
    When Sweden invade Ireland again. Launch the longboats lads. This time we will welcome you. Only dont steal all our nice looking women like ye did the last time.

We could do an exchange! I wouldn't mind a few Swedish women to keep me company while waiting for our broadband to get upgraded :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

FFS! 100mb for 100 euro, you cant even get 1mb for 100 over here. Ive also heard that everyone in sweden can get normal adsl, maybe not the fibre-optic stuff. But for me 512K still looks delicious, compared to the 36K im connecting to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    FFS! 100mb for 100 euro, you cant even get 1mb for 100 over here. Ive also heard that everyone in sweden can get normal adsl, maybe not the fibre-optic stuff. But for me 512K still looks delicious, compared to the 36K im connecting to now.

The situation in Sweden is alot better than here :)

Yes, almost everyone in the country can get the standard 512 connection. It should be noted though that this is largely thanks to the government working on different solutions to provide broadband in remote areas, not because of our phonecompany.

I'm sure over 90% of the population is covered by now, as last time I checked (over a year ago) we had an 85% coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mouse_busy

ireland is no good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭istep

dammit now I'm really depressed..... just as I was getting over last weeks sunday times article. Discussed all of the above and also did anybody know that in france for the equivalent of stg 35 you get 2mbit broadband. 70 tv channels and you also get to phone any where in france at any time for any duration at no call cost......!
    All that and sun as well....it's just not godamned fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Firstly I hate you ;), secondly can you explain the same prices for the two services below, why would you go for 8Mb when you can get 10Mb????
    Originally posted by muffen
    Telia 8Mbit = 50Euros a month
    Telia 10Mbit = 50Euros a month

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Firstly I hate you ;), secondly can you explain the same prices for the two services below, why would you go for 8Mb when you can get 10Mb????

Hehe, I'm really looking forward to going home, although just now I found out that I got a job in the states (LA), so now its all up in the air again. I still think I'd like to go home though, been doing this moving-around thing for too long now... never thought I'd say this, but I feel tired in some strange way ... and everytime I imagine myself being back home in Sweden, I feel a little less tired (hard to explain, best way I can put it).
    You'd think that after 8 years you wouldn't be homesick anymore, but let me tell you, the place where you grew up will always be home, no matter how many countries you live in or years you spend away from it... but then again.. LA .. hmm.. hate having to decide things.. :-/ ... ah well.. I don't have to decide for another 3 days, so no point thinking about it right now... :)

The 8 and 10 MBit is really the same connection, just depends on where you live (some places will have 10, others will have 8).
    This is because the technology is dependent on distance from basestation.

It is advertised as two different connections though, which is why I put both there...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

BBB 100Mbit = 100Euros a month, DL cap 300Gigs / month. Additional 100Gigs can be bought for 25Euros.

I honestly dont think we'll actually see home dsl in ireland similar to above in any of our lifetimes. Its taken us over 5 years to get 512k to a fraction of the countrys exchanges. Unless Eircom is suddenly taken over by BT or a swedish phone company we have no chance,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Originally posted by muffen

www.bonet.se
    Bonet 1Mbit = 35Euros
    Bonet 26Mbit = 45Euros

/me drools....

Final decision is Stockholm.

Also been looking at apartments around central Stockholm, looks like it won't be too hard to get one that has fiber connection (means 35euros a month for uncapped bi-directional 10MBit with no need to get a phoneline at all). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭istep

Man you lucky git! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If I was living in Sweden, I wouldnt leave my house!

Advertisement