Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Eircom rip off

Options
  • 22-06-2004 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

If you use a non Eircom account to access internet your FTP to your Eircom ISP website doesn't work. In the name of "security" but actually to stop you using other numbers to dail up.

Allegedly, and Esat believes it, Eircom 1891 and 1892 numbers are "Exclusive", only charged by Eircom.

Except for the two years I had Chorus, the SAME 1891 number (eircom ISP account) was charged by time by Chorus.

Nowhere on Esat T&C does it say that Eircom will continue to charge, the implication of reading EVERYTHING, is that it will be charged at a different basis to Local/International on Advantage Plus, just as Mobile calls are.

And if the Eircom ISP/Exchange randomly "hangs" up esp. often just after dialing, each 1/2 second can be a 3 minute charge... From Eircom Phone company, not Esat.

Also does Eircom.net still deliver tinet.ie mail because they know its spam that will rack up the phone charges?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by watty
    ...Allegedly, and Esat believes it, Eircom 1891 and 1892 numbers are "Exclusive", only charged by Eircom....

Same with UTVipXL. If I find I'm getting a crap connection and I wanna test it by calling a 1891 number for another ISP, I get charged on my Eircom bill, not on my UTV bill. Check if it mentions anything about premium rates, etc. The T&C for UTVip does.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Delphi91,

I use UTVipXL, and sometimes get a constantly engaged tone, but then I click on the UTV Dialler on my desktop and it rings the XL number once, if it gets an engaged tone, the dialler then rings another number automatically which normally gets me straight online.

Have you got the UTV Internet dialler which you can download from their FAQ page. If not I recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Delphi91,

I use UTVipXL, and sometimes get a constantly engaged tone, but then I click on the UTV Dialler on my desktop and it rings the XL number once, if it gets an engaged tone, the dialler then rings another number automatically which normally gets me straight online.

Have you got the UTV Internet dialler which you can download from their FAQ page. If not I recommend it.

Oh I know all about that. I use the UTV dialer and it has the fallback number built in.

I have had some crappy connection speeds before, and I always used to use another ISP to see if it was unique to UTV or was it a line issue. That's how I know that Eircom charge for these calls.

Mike

Advertisement