Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supporting England in Euro 2004

• 22-06-2004 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Whats everyones thoughts of supporting England in Euro 2004? Is everyone on the board supporting England, and hoping that they can win or is there still a bit of hatred of the 'old enemy' ? Perhaps its indifference?

Are you supporting England in Euro 2004? 50 votes

Yes - Im hoping that they can go on to win the tournament
    0% 0 votes
    No - Im not supporting england and hope they loose and loose badly
    36% 18 votes
    Neutral - Neither care that they do really well and win or loose their next match
    42% 21 votes
    Indifferent/Dont know/Dont Care/Other
    22% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Good thread, I'm interested in seeing the results myself. I'm not supporting England BTW and most of that is down to jealousy TBH.:( I can't even watch Sky Sports news anymore without thinking we could be there. As soon as England are out there won't be half as much talk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Yes, I'll be supporting England, not just because I've money on Rooney to get top scorer either :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Orginally I was supporting England, hoped they would do well since I follow the priemership and champions league. But I have got sickened with them winning and hope the portugese beat them in the quarter finals TBH. Then the tabloids can start with the mud throwing :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

No, I for one wont be supporting England but I like most people am obviously interested in seeing how they get on. The France victory over them was so sweet, added to by the way that it happened, etc. Where I was watching, the crowd nearly felt as if it was Ireland that had won, such are the feelings! So of course we are rivals and we have a history.

I dont criticise England just for the sake of it though. I treat them the same as I try to treat any team and that is with a fair unbiased brush. And so far England are doing quite well it has to be said. They will get tougher games from now on, as in games that they must win. So it remains to be seen what they will do. They could get to the semi, they could get to the final. But it is a fact that if they win it there will be a lot of blather to listen to, thas for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Naturally I'm supporting England but fear we'll never hear the end of it if "we" win or if "we" lose on penalites in the final!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by mike65
    but fear we'll never hear the end of it if "we" win or if "we" lose on penalites in the final!

Who will you never hear the end of it from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I said "Yes" but its partially cos' I have a €5 on them to win (at 8-1) ..

Still would not be too pi$$ed off if they got beaten in similar veign to the France Games result ... proper kick in the balls

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    Who will you never hear the end of it from?

The meeja!

Mike.

I'm suprised that Irish people actually have England on to win the championship. Not because its a suprise to see an Irish person suporting them, but because we get to see all their matches and from what i've seen over the past few years they haven't a hope of winning it. Whoever gets to see all Holland's matches (other than the Dutch obviously) wouldn't bet on them because they know they're not the best team.

I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong but I really doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I think they could win it if they play like they did early on against France ...

I really hate the way the english go on ,mainly the media , and the way they either hype the team out of all proportion or slag them off and demonise them ...

I find myself cringing at some of the comments from the commentators especially Motty ...he is probably the most biased commentator around

I put a few bets on and England was one of them , also went for Germany (18-1) and Spain (doh) ... I'll probably lose all 3 ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I hope they do well.. Why would I wish the England squad to play bad when every week I will on Stevie G, Carragher and Own to win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

I'm supporting Rooney all the way and have been cheering his goals like I would an Everton goal. But like most, I just want to see a good game of football
    - i was cheering his run when he won the penalty against France but cheered Zidanes double in injury time.

Overall, I'm glad England made it through the group and am proud of Rooney.
    Looking forward to England-Portugal, would be happy to see either team make the semi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I am pretty unbiased and for alot of reasons I would like to see England do well.
    But sadly these reasons are outweighed by the need for failure.
    The English media is the most pathetic ,vainest group around.
    The English team is average at best.
    If they win a match by whatever means,despite the fact they may play very poor football they are the best team in the world.
    It is sad that so much false hope is placed on the English players.
    The pressure to satisfy an unsatisfiable nation is impossible.
    England may win the tournament but that does not mean they are the best team in Europe.
    Sky news had an exclusive interview with Wayne Rooneys grandmother today.
    Makes you want England to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

England may win the tournament but are not the best team in Europe?
    I don't understand?
    They will have beaten all the best teams in Europe to get there?

I really don't think the english team is average at all.
    I think their midfield is one of the best in the world, just lacking a left back.
    Their defense is one of the best in the world, and with Ferdinand back to organise the defense for set pieces it will be very very very hard to score againist.

Obviously their keeper is average, but no team is perfect.

Their attack is of a fairly high quality, Owen hasn't had a great tourney but he still is a top player.
    Rooney is obviously going to be very good.

They do have a world class team, however I think their manager is crap tbh :/

Originally posted by PHB
    Their defense is one of the best in the world
    I strongly disagree and I think the defence is the main reason they'll find it hard to win the championship. Each individual defender is one of the best in the world but their defence as a whole isn't. Ireland's defenders would be classed as average on the world stage but we have 12 clean sheets since 2002, England have 5. Bare in mind, the midfielders have a part to play in conceding too.

Lampard has been having a below par championship and is invisible at times because he's played out of position. The same goes for Scholes. One or the other will have to be dropped and put a player in that is more suited to the left. Maybe even drop Owen and play with 5 in midfield but I don't think Sven has the bottle to drop any of the current players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

I'm supporting England in Euro 2004, primarily since I feel that England always manage to underperform in major competitions. They really deserve the rub of the green, so I'll root for them.

I do not, however, support the extensive use of "loose" in place of "lose" on the web. Argh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I strongly disagree and I think the defence is the main reason they'll find it hard to win the championship. Each individual defender is one of the best in the world but their defence as a whole isn't. Ireland's defenders would be classed as average on the world stage but we have 12 clean sheets since 2002, England have 5. Bare in mind, the midfielders have a part to play in conceding too.

Lampard has been having a below par championship and is invisible at times because he's played out of position. The same goes for Scholes. One or the other will have to be dropped and put a player in that is more suited to the left. Maybe even drop Owen and play with 5 in midfield but I don't think Sven has the bottle to drop any of the current players.

While I cant argue with the clean sheet stats, you must bear in mind Ireland play pretty much all of their friendlies at home and against at times against very mediocre sides.

And I dont think they should change the line up at all, the interchanging between the midfielders is great. They are hardly doing that bad considering 3 out of the 4 have already scored.

I will be following their games, and giving them gentle support, but I couldnt help but laigh if we had another France incident in the final or semi.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm happy to see England doing well as I like players such as Cole, Campbell, King, and Lampard, but I don't want them to win it, as the media's jizzfest over Rooney is unbearable as it is. Sweden and France are my favourite teams in this tournament.

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    While I cant argue with the clean sheet stats, you must bear in mind Ireland play pretty much all of their friendlies at home and against at times against very mediocre sides.
    Ireland
    home: played - 11; clean - 5
    away: played - 9; clean - 6
    neutral: played - 2; clean - 1

total: played - 22; clean 12

England
    home: played - 11; clean - 2 (Turkey, Leichtenstein)
    away: played - 7; clean - 2 (Leichtenstein, Turkey)
    neutral: played 3; clean - 1 (Switzerland)

total: played - 21; clean - 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

At the end of the day England under Sven have only lost 2 competetive fixtures against Brazil and France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I always support England, unless they're playing Ireland - even bought the new England jersey. Mind you, my Dad's English and I lived there for a while as a kid so that has a lot to do with it.

However, I think I'd still support them or at least the Liverpool players, even if I didn't have ties. I always like to see Reds do well for their countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

No I wont be supporting England.

Eirebhoys comment on Lampard being below par? I think its a step to much for him. a couple of points:

With Lampard playing - and not Butt or another defensive midfielder. Gerrard doesn’t get the chance to play the football he should be... <with Hamann playing that cover midfielder role at Liverpool - we have seen Gerrard excel in a central midfield role>

Lampard playing - Scholes is also affected. he is shipped out the left hand side and any time he attacks we see Gerrard covering for him.

ROFL!

The solution if Sven wont drop anyone is to play Scholes down the middle with Gerrard on the left. But really Wayne Bridge should be down the left and Gerrard allowed to run at the opposition.

Mike.

I'd be more inclined to play Bridge at LB and Cole at LM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I hope the limey bastards get stuffed, im being honest, meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I wont be supporting England. I like Scholes,Butt, Lampard,Terry but when ever they win a game they belive they can win the tourament.

Before Euro 2004 i watched Japan v. England and it was a 1-1 draw and the english media said England wont be winning anything. then a few days later they beat Iceland 6-1 and its all England can win this tourament.

Also the english pundits are saying the English are the best side in Euro 2004.......Have they been watching the games. Thet beat a 10 man Swiss side and a crap Croatia side who were a sixes and sevens for most of the game and conceded 2 goals from set pieces against them.

But the media is saying.........Go all the way England.

While France who have been winning but playing poorly are getting from the media is they will need to play better to win it.

Also the England midfeild is all wrong, you need a holding Midfeilder like Butt, so Gerrard or Scholes can getting into the box But they are playing Scholes out of Position and Lampard and Gerrard dont like the holding role.
    Plus Sven wanted to use the dimond formation and the players said no so he didnt use it............Try saying that to Fergie or Wenger and see what there responce will be.

But i hope Portugal will beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I've no problems with England at all. I supported them in Euro 96 and WC98, but I do want to see them being knocked out as soon as possible this year. I detest the arrogance of the British media and the TV commentators. Especially Clive Tyldesley who keeps proclaiming that England will beat France in the final without a hint of a joke. A couple of the things I've heard him say:

"This is the stadium which hosted the England France game a few days ago, and the one which will host the England France final in 2 weeks time"

Andy Townsend commented that Mike Riley wouldn't be refereeing the final after his poor performance, and Tyldesley said "He won't be refereeing it anyway, because England will be there"

On both occasions, he wasn't even joking. He just said them so matter of factly, as if it was a foregone conclusion. And that's the way the British media act - every year it's England's year, despite them not winning a thing since 66. Gary Lineker (or maybe Ian Wright) proclaimed them to be the best team in the tournament last night.

That's why I want to see them fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Where's the option in the poll for "I hope England do ok because I support Liverpool and I want Owen, Gerrard and Carragher to score goals and play well, but ultimitely I want England to get hammered in the semis or final." ???

;)

Originally posted by Exit
    I've no problems with England at all. I supported them in Euro 96 and WC98, but I do want to see them being knocked out as soon as possible this year. I detest the arrogance of the British media and the TV commentators. Especially Clive Tyldesley who keeps proclaiming that England will beat France in the final without a hint of a joke. A couple of the things I've heard him say:

"This is the stadium which hosted the England France game a few days ago, and the one which will host the England France final in 2 weeks time"

Andy Townsend commented that Mike Riley wouldn't be refereeing the final after his poor performance, and Tyldesley said "He won't be refereeing it anyway, because England will be there"

On both occasions, he wasn't even joking. He just said them so matter of factly, as if it was a foregone conclusion. And that's the way the British media act - every year it's England's year, despite them not winning a thing since 66. Gary Lineker (or maybe Ian Wright) proclaimed them to be the best team in the tournament last night.

That's why I want to see them fail.

English humour is often dry, tongue in cheek and deadpan, just look at Jack Dee.

My apologies on behalf of Clive if you don't get it.

• Advertisement

And I agree that they are looking the best team in the tournament so far. Why else have their odds plumeted?

English humour is sometimes lost on the foreigners esp the ill educated (yanks)and the young (most here) but Clive Tyldesley is'nt joking I fear.

Mike.

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    At the end of the day England under Sven have only lost 2 competetive fixtures against Brazil and France.
    I think the English media make too much out of that. His first competitive match was in March 2001. Ireland have only lost 4 competive matches since 1999 (Iran, Switzerland x2 and Russia). The reason I went back to 99 was because Ireland's last qualifying campaign was a joke and I can't see it happening again in the forseable future. The Swizz match was the first time Ireland lost at home in competition since Mick McCarthy took over in 96. Most Irish people wouldn't even know that.
    And I agree that they are looking the best team in the tournament so far.
    Sit back against the French after they scored and the 2nd best team in the Swizz match for an hour until Haas got sent off. They would be lost without Rooney. Czech Republic, Sweden and Denmark have all looked better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I am supporting them and I would have no problems at all in them winning it. However eventhough their defense has some of the best defenders in the premiership & Gary Neville I do think that it hasn't gelled as a unit and could be exposed badly. I would expect them to account for Portugal easily on Thursday.

Gandalf.

(on saying this I did put my money on France to win with Henry to be top scorer :p)

Originally posted by gandalf
    even though their defense has some of the best defenders in the premiership & Gary Neville
    ROFL :D .
    As people have said, bring Nicky Butt in and drop someone like Lampard and they wouldn't concede half the goals they have been. Even the Brazilian's have to play with a holding midfielder. I haven't noticed any of the English players playing the holding midfield role which is the reason they won't be going far. Every team has to have one.

Nicky Butt is injured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

with Nicky Butt is injured.. they dont have much depth in the squad - if need to defend a lead - as we seen against france... <Sven bought in Hargreaves> or if they need to get a goal. <Heskey?>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Lampard has had a great run for club but I don't think he is preforming well at this level.

What I'd like to see happen is for Scholes and Gerrard to switch places, and if possible for Lampard to be replaced by Butt.

I don't think you can have two attacking midfielders in the centre and I think of the three Lampard is the worst, thus he gets dropped.
    Gerrard has shown he is better on the left than Scholes is and the only reason he ain't being played there is because Scholes doesn't defend much :)

Nicky Butt is injured
    Oh, I forgot about that. The only other player that could play that role then is Ledley King. I'm really suprised at England's lack of defensive midfielders. Its amazing to think that Englands two problems positions are the positions we have more than enough. DM (Keane, Holland, Delap, Kinsella) ML (Duff, Reid, Kilbane). Our problem position is the right of midfield and England are spoilt for choice their too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I'd be more inclined to play Bridge at LB and Cole at LM

The problem with that is , that Cole drifts inside , which is the problem England already have , playing a right footed player on the left .

Where as Bridge hits in many crosses when he plays for Chelsea and in my opinion is definetly more of a natural left sided , player going down the wing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I can't wait to see the English get stuffed by Portugal. This is primarily because their fans are scum. They boo the hell out of opponents national anthems which is a disgrace. Anything to shut up Ian Wright and Clive "that night in Barcelona" Tyldesley too.

• Advertisement

I really can't understand why people keep saying that the reason that they want England to lose is because of the way the English media go on. Why the hell are you watching the "English" media then?? Of course they are gonna get behind their team and think that they can win. What's the point in qualifying for a tournament if you don't think that you can win?

England do have a team that is good enough to win a major championship, well they have the individuals to do it, but unfortunatley for them they just don't seem to do it as a team. (Sven's fault methinks, he changes the team too much!)
    I really think that they could win it this time around, but it'll be really up against them if they beat Portugal because they would meet the Czech's in the semi's, if of course they beat Denmark, but I'd say that would be a dead cert (well as much as you can get in football!)

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

The big problem is all the English media that is available here, but as you say no one forces people to watch it, it is very easy to avoid if you want too.

It reminds me of the Man Utd media overkill we get here, it used to piss me off big time but now I just switch it off or turn the page.

I though it was the winner of France/Greece and Czech's/Denmark q/f's that meet in the semi's BaZmO?

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    This is primarily because their fans are scum.

All of us ??

Originally posted by Harry2001
    I though it was the winner of France/Greece and Czech's/Denmark q/f's that meet in the semi's BaZmO?

It is!! Sorry about that. I had one of those excel spreadsheets that normally does the rounds for every tournament and it had the wrong semi's line-up!! :rolleyes:

So sorry!

B.

No worries, France v Czech Republic would be a cracker :D

I think the Czech's could be the team to take the French

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    their fans are scum.

And all Irish people are drunken terrorists?

Can we have less of the insulting generalisations please.

As for the Media, anyone who is that bothered by it read an Irish Newspaper and watch Irish TV, you should be fine then.

We have every right to get behind out team....that's not patriotism. Go to Italy, Spain, German, hell most european countries and their media will come out with similar attitudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Darey Devil, less of the generalizations please.

And all Irish people are drunken terrorists?

We are! But that's besides the point! :D

I can understand if somebody just comes out and says that they hate England and that's that, end of!! Well probably not understand it, but respect it more than the silly excuses that most people give.

A big part of it imo is the fact that a lot are affected by peer pressure, "sheep" if you will.
    It's like,

"Why are you booing England?"

"Eh, because everybody else is"

I just can't understand not supporting a collection of all the players that you see plying their trade week in week out in the Premiership. I know a bit about football but when it comes international football, apart from Ireland, the English team is the only team that I could name the full squad and their positions and I'd say that most Irish people are the same but unfortunately most Irish are "sheep" and just follow the crowd when it comes to booing England.

B.

I'm sure everyone has someone in football they like to see fail for no obvious reason. What has van Nistelrooy done to deserve the stick he gets? What do the German's do, etc. A lot of people start supporting teams at an early age because their father, brother or any other role model do. That is the same in my case. I have been growing up listening to people wishing England to lose and so on. It is now stuck in my head and no matter how little sense it makes I will still always want England to lose.

That is the only theory I can came up with anyway because there is no other obvious reason I can think of for wishing England to fail. If you're Irish and would also support England when they play, maybe your family and people around you couldn't care less how England do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I'm up for England - I mean, the premiership is the league we all watch season in season out (except for the SPL which is hardly competitive)... we know all the players, many of us sing their names and their praises for their clubs - why not their countries? I have arsenal mates who are supporting torn between France and England cos they want to see their club players playing well - personally i support City so I'd like to see David James keeping some clean sheets...

Also, the coverage is far better with England still in it. Sure the tabloids will always talk crap, but the soccer coverage in the broadsheets is great. The excitment generated by england winning games really keeps things going. Come the final, I think it'd be great for the game to see England actually beat France like they should have in the first game...

I think Englands tactics have been organised if a bit negative. I'd play Gerrard on the left and switch Scholes inside, which I think would give cole more of a chance to get forward.

A lot of people have been saying Lampard has been a bit off? Two goals and 2 assists? What tournament are you guys watching?

I saw an interview after the France game and they interviewed Beckham, Lampard, Terry, Campbell, G Neville, Owen, James, Gerrard and wonder shrek himself Rooney. Apart from the last, ALL these players are either club captains or very senior and respected pro's. Guys who take a big responsibility about their own and the teams performance. They all spoke intelligently about the game and I gotta say I think England could go and win this.

However, with €20 on Larsson top scorer and Sweden to win at a mad 125-1, I'll be cheering Sweden if the two teams meet!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement