Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supporting England in Euro 2004

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    If you're Irish and would also support England when they play, maybe your family and people around you couldn't care less how England do.

Not true in my case. All my family and most of my mates would want England to lose.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

england have 1 problem, one thing that will prevent them from winning anything- their attitude.

their far too cocky and full of themselves and love all the media and hype around them. rooney is no pele as some idiot suggested (turnip head himself). beckham is not a captain and for god's sake, get a decent keeper, not one that flaps at crosses and cant hold a ball even if he'd glue on his gloves.

england will not win euro2004 and anyone who thinks they will is just caught up in all the skysports coverage or tabloid propaganda. their an average side with far too many big heads to be successful and worthy of winning anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    I really can't understand why people keep saying that the reason that they want England to lose is because of the way the English media go on. Why the hell are you watching the "English" media then?? Of course they are gonna get behind their team and think that they can win. What's the point in qualifying for a tournament if you don't think that you can win?

You hit it on the head BaZmO,
    The next time Ireland are in any competition have a good read and listen to our own media and you will hear the same thing. Wait a few week for the Olympics and you are guaranteed to hear them (the Irish media) going on and on about some runner, rower, show jumper or whatever that will not win a gold, but will be hailed as a hero of some sort...., just like O' Sullivan in 2000 was after loosing her race. We love to celebrate mediocrity.

The thing is that England has actually won something (I am aware that it was almost 40 years ago) so ever since then the pressure has been on to repeat that sort of victory. And they are a large football nation so they should expect to be successful

Originally posted by smemon
    england have 1 problem, one thing that will prevent them from winning anything- their attitude.

their far too cocky and full of themselves and love all the media and hype around them. rooney is no pele as some idiot suggested (turnip head himself). beckham is not a captain and for god's sake, get a decent keeper, not one that flaps at crosses and cant hold a ball even if he'd glue on his gloves.

england will not win euro2004 and anyone who thinks they will is just caught up in all the skysports coverage or tabloid propaganda. their an average side with far too many big heads to be successful and worthy of winning anything.

You are an absolute hypocrite smemon. I remember quite well that in any of the previous Roy Keane, Man U, or in particular the Irish threads talking about Ireland having a chance to win the World Cup you constantly kept spouting Roy Keane's mantra about having to believe in yourself and be confident enough to believe that you can win, blah blah blah. Which I believe to be true.
    However, you can't just pick and choose your "Keane-isms" to suit your argument at the time. How's about a bit of consistency? :rolleyes:

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Not all of the fans are scum but judging by the booing going on during the French national anthem there was probably only a handful of fans who were not booing. That in my opinion makes the majority of fans who travel to the game scum.

First time I started to hate them was when John Barnes used to get booed off the pitch by his own fans at Wembley and I'm not even a Liverpool supporter. Any fans who boo a player like that have no respect from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A big part of it imo is the fact that a lot are affected by peer pressure, "sheep" if you will.
    It's like,

"Why are you booing England?"

"Eh, because everybody else is"
    The thing is, people don't just decide to start wishing England lose at the age of 25 (unless of course they are someone with little or no interest in football and just want to join in the fun down in their local ie. my mother). They more or less start it around the same time they start supporting a football team at a young age. Therefore, asking someone to stop cheering on England's opposition is like asking someone to stop supporting their club. It's unfair to call people bigots for doing so because, in my case anyway, it's unpossible to try and get me to change my views.

We probably are sheep but every 10 year old is TBH. If you start supporting a team (or the opposite in this case) at that age, you probably will for life.

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    Not all of the fans are scum but judging by the booing going on during the French national anthem there was probably only a handful of fans who were not booing. That in my opinion makes the majority of fans who travel to the game scum.
    Before someone says most Irish people must be scum for booing a Rangers player, I was at the Ireland-USA match and the booing was started by a minority, the rest (including myself) thought we were booing a player for a rash tackle or something of that nature.

Booing the Ranger's players is not on but at least they were on the other team, Barnes used to get lashed out of it by his OWN fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

The UK National Anthem is not played at Lansdowne before Internationals involving any of the home nations....

Now why do you think that is?

• Advertisement

Oh,

Eireboy....if a child grows up from the age of 10 calling black people **** and thinking they smell....does that make it ok?

Boo Who, they play it at the rugby games and there is no problem apart from ignorant England captains who won't stand in the right place.

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    Eireboy....if a child grows up from the age of 10 calling black people **** and thinking they smell....does that make it ok?
    If a person is calling black people n****rs since the age of 10, they will most likely do it for the rest of their life whether you tell them its wrong or right. The same applies to wanting England to lose since an early age except in this case, it is not a sin to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

I really can't understand why people keep saying that the reason that they want England to lose is because of the way the English media go on. Why the hell are you watching the "English" media then?? Of course they are gonna get behind their team and think that they can win. What's the point in qualifying for a tournament if you don't think that you can win?

i agree 100%. its the english football team playing. not the english media / commentators.

Yes but we are talking about football here. Why don't they play God Save the Queen at Lansdowne?

Last time the English football team were at Landsdowne their scum fans trashed the place, do they deserve their national anthem to be played?

• Advertisement

I'm sure if one of the UK nations played in Lansdowne tomorrow God Save the Queen would be played. Where did you hear it wasn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Yes but we are talking about football here. Why don't they play God Save the Queen at Lansdowne?

cos the national anthem of england is land of hope on glory..

Isn't it only England and N.Ireland who use God Save The Queen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    Isn't it only England and N.Ireland who use God Save The Queen?
    yes

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    cos the national anthem of england is land of hope on glory..

No it is not...

there is in fact no such piece of music called "Land of Hope and Glory" you are probably getting confused with Elgar's "Pomp and Cirumstance"

The English National Anthem, and that of Wale, Scotland and N.Ireland is "God Save the Queen"

• Advertisement

The English National Anthem, and that of Wale, Scotland and N.Ireland is "God Save the Queen"

Eh, think you're wrong there buddy.

Welsh National Anthem is "Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" "The Land Of My Fathers"

The Scottish National Anthem is "Flower Of Scotland"

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

thread closed before some bannings are handed out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement