Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Box 2 Backward Compatability.

Options
  • 22-06-2004 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭

It looks like it wont be happening this may be a poor move as one feature of the sonys consoles is that they will play games from the previous generation of their console

Article pasted from www.theregister.co.uk
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/22/ms_xbox2_backwards_compat/
    By Tony Smith
    Published Tuesday 22nd June 2004 13:04 GMT

Microsoft's Xbox 2 console will not be backwardly compatible with the current version, sources close to the company have claimed.

Backwards compatibility has been arguably so crucial to Sony's success in the console arena that it was always assumed that Xbox 2 would play Xbox 1 titles. That assumption was challenged when it emerged that the second-generation Xbox would be based on PowerPC rather than x86 technology, but Microsoft's acquisition of x86-on-PowerPC emulation software Virtual PC was thought to provide the software giant with a way to embrace an entirely new - and theoretically less hackable - hardware architecture while retaining that oh-so-important Xbox 1 software base.

Well, it's not as important as all that it seems. According to a GamesIndustry.biz report citing sources close to the Xbox 2 development project, the new console will not support old Xbox games.

Said sources reveal that Microsoft's own research indicates that in the end only ten per cent of PlayStation 2 buyers factored backward compatibility into their purchasing decision. That's a percentage MS apparently feels it can risk alienating, so Xbox 1 support has been crossed off the spec. sheet.

It's certainly brave of Microsoft to take such a risk, if indeed that's what it has chosen to do. Traditionally successor consoles have always been incompatible with their predecessors, but Sony's decision to allow PS2s to play PS1 games is now viewed as the key to its success.

And observers coming to consoles from the PC market, where compatibility with older code is largely taken for granted, even though it doesn't always work, have naturally assumed that the same dynamic applies here and have reinforced the broader belief in the foundation of Sony's success.

Yet the PS1 was highly successful, and it had no predecessor user-base to build on, just good games, a cool look and Sony's undeniably weighty brandname. All these factors are as likely to have favoured PS2 as much as if not more than backwards compatibility.

The question is, has Sony's move with PS2 changed the console market's dynamics? MS presumably believes it hasn't, but it's telling that Nintendo's upcoming Nintendo DS handheld will support old GameBoy Advance titles. Its next-generation console, 'Revolution', may likewise support GameCube games. And Sony has said PS3 will play PS2 and PS1 titles. Right or wrong, backwards compatibility is a bandwagon everyone else is jumping on. ®

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

that sucks ass!! I think that will be a vital factor for anybody not sure about getting an xbox 2... especially people who are picking between a ps3 and xb2, and have games for the ps2 and xb already....

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

so they slap a few 970fx cores into it and suddenly it's "less hackable"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭huge

at least the next nintendo console will have backwards compatilaty so i can sell my gamecube and still play all the games i have for it ive only ever been able to do that with my gameboy never had a ps1 (coz the N64 ruled) but i can sell my ps2 for ps3 but theres one problem gamespot are stating that the ps3 will cost $500 so im not gonna spend all that money on a console if you want a link here it is http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/21/news_6101035.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

How many of us still play PSOne games on our PS2s? I may have played a handful in the first year or so, but I'd imagine I'd be the exception rather than the rule. It's only the quirky novelty titles people will go back to, games like Vib Ribbon and whatnot - and these are predominantly played by the 'hardcore', who'll buy the console, backwards-compatible or not. Most people don't spend €500 on a new console to play games they already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I dont see the big deal..... Why do you buy a next generation machine fopr 500 quid?? To play next generation games with next generation playability, graphics and sound. Playing classic retro games is good, 5 year old PS games is a gimic.

I used to think that being able to play PS games on the PS2 was great, but thinking back I only used the feature for about 5 minutes.

Also, why would you want to sell a 4 year old console for about 10% of the value you paid for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Buy a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I dont see the big deal..... Why do you buy a next generation machine fopr 500 quid?? To play next generation games with next generation playability, graphics and sound. Playing classic retro games is good, 5 year old PS games is a gimic.

I used to think that being able to play PS games on the PS2 was great, but thinking back I only used the feature for about 5 minutes.

Also, why would you want to sell a 4 year old console for about 10% of the value you paid for it?

I agree, I just dont see the point in offering "compatibility" (emulation) when those interested in playing old games already have a superior option: the existing hardware. I mean when the XB2 is out, do people just throw away their previous consoles? Besides, Nintendo and Sega never offered compatibility between platforms, its a purely Sony deal designed in no small part to boost the specs on early paper launches (supports 1000+ games will sound just wonderful to someones moronic parent/guardian.

Matt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I play more PS1 games on my PS2. However its only because it is handy and there is better sound through AV. If I wanted to play xbox 1 games I'd get an xbox. Anyway the only games worth having on the xbox aren't bought by most people with an xbox. My two cents, it won't make much of a difference with sales.

It is true that no one in their right mind would buy a console so they could play old games, and i will buy an xb2 if they have a good lineup of new games (and not just because of my back catalouge), however, one thing that does annoy me about this is (and its very small) if i do want to play my old xbox games, I'll need to hook it up to my tv, which may involve lugging it from its press, finding a place for it, hooking it up etc etc. Nothing major, and not enough to sway my decision on which next gen to buy (if i buy any), but just one example of the slight hastle it causes..

i do still think that many chosing which to get first, ps3 or xb2 would go for ps3 because theyd have more games (albeit old games). It a brainless decision, but one I have no doubt will be made many times over.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by flogen
    It is true that no one in their right mind would buy a console so they could play old games

you're joking me aren't you? I bought a DC for €50 (last one in the shop w/ 8 games) because I heard they were stopping production and I wanted to play Shenmue. I also bought an N64 after I played Mario Sunshine on my cube because I wanted to play Mario64....

I musn't be in my right mind :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

By Tony Smith
    Published Tuesday 22nd June 2004 20:07 GMT

Microsoft today slammed claims that Xbox 2 will not play Xbox games as "irresponsible... pulp fiction".

The statement, published by web site Team Xbox, a site that's done as much speculating on Xbox 2's specifications as anyone else has, notes that: "Microsoft hasn't made any announcements regarding the next generation, so it's far too early to speculate about specifics, including backward compatibility."

Not so. This is exactly the right time to speculate about specifics, for the very same reason Microsoft cites. But we digress...

Microsoft's statement says there's no point talking about Xbox 2 because it's too early. We can infer from that that the company hasn't made it's mind up yet, and may take a while to do so. And until it does, MS says, anything anyone writes about the matter is pure speculation.

But if that's the case, why is Microsoft is sufficiently concerned about all this "irresponsible... media conjecture", as it calls such speculation, to issue such a statement that drools on about observers' apparent willingness to "compromise fact"? "Xbox fans," it adds, "are smart enough to distinguish truth from sensational reporting."

That suggests the speculation is wrong. But if it's too early to say one way or the other, Microsoft's own statement that the speculation is incorrect could also prove to be wrong, by the company's own admission.

"Blackadder, you twist and turn like a... like a twisty-turning thing."

It's worth remembering that the source for the original story is said to be someone close to the Xbox 2 project. That Microsoft might well have at the very least considered dropping backwards compatibility seems likely, and for sensible reasons: it will be costly to do and there's no guarantee that incorporating it will sell any more units. ®

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    you're joking me aren't you? I bought a DC for €50 (last one in the shop w/ 8 games) because I heard they were stopping production and I wanted to play Shenmue. I also bought an N64 after I played Mario Sunshine on my cube because I wanted to play Mario64....

I musn't be in my right mind :D

I think by 'old games' he meant games that he already has and plays on his current console - it would be mad to buy a new console to play those.

yeah, sorry robert, worded it wrong, I mean no one would buy a new console to play old games they can already play on something else...:D

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by flogen
    yeah, sorry robert, worded it wrong, I mean no one would buy a new console to play old games they can already play on something else...:D

Flogen

I get you now :D You wouldn't buy a PS1 if you had a PS2 sorta thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The PowerPCs processors that are being used in the future Xbox are based on the Risc architecture. The older version of these chips are also used in the Gamecube. The current Xbox uses Pentium 3/Celeron processors and these are Cisc processors. So is the PC.

There has been alot of effort put into making an emulator for the PC to allow it to play Gamecube games. Seemingly it is very very difficult to emulate across Cisc and Risc and any emulators created so far have offered tiny frame rates. The above problems could be the exact same problems being experienced by Microsoft in trying to emulate the Cisc architecture for the Xbox on the Risc architecture of the Xbox Next.

God I hope I didnt mix up Cisc and Risc :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

I just remembered talking to this ps2 fanboy who had convinced himself that the ps2 was more powerful than the xbox. When asked why he just went on about the memory bandwidth of the ps2 was better etc. I was too shy about it since I don't know much about the internal interworkings of cpu's, etc. but I knew damn well he was talking gibberish. Looked it up, and as I expected he was talking out of his ars*. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

R U M O U R W A R E
    Argue about it when it exists :). Happens everytime new consoles are due out

Oh and modern CISC cpus actually rely heavily on RISC operations internally. Intel etc. realised it was more efficient for most things and have many instructions converted back on the way. Bit of useless info. numero 2003634a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by huge
    at least the next nintendo console will have backwards compatilaty so i can sell my gamecube and still play all the games i have for it ive only ever been able to do that with my gameboy never had a ps1 (coz the N64 ruled) but i can sell my ps2 for ps3 but theres one problem gamespot are stating that the ps3 will cost $500 so im not gonna spend all that money on a console if you want a link here it is http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/21/news_6101035.html
    i thought the N5 wouldn't be backwards compatible...

Advertisement