Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

standalone divx/xvid player

Options
  • 22-06-2004 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

anyone bought or used one of these?

any good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I got one in Maplins a few months ago and it's the best "gadget" I've ever bought. Wife even agrees on that count 'cos I download the latest Newlyweds, burn onto a CD/RW for her and she gets to see them before all her mates (without having to watch on the PC). I burn a few movies at a time in DivX format onto a DVDR and get almost 12 hours entertainment on a disc.
    A few of the family are planning buying them so I checked with Maplins the other week and they said they have a new model coming in in the next week or so for only €98.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

excellent milltown..

what make/model u got

and what make/model is coming in

more info ;)

I got a Yamada DVX6600 for €129 when they were supposedly on special. When I asked the other week it was still the same price. The guy didn't have any make/model details of what's coming in so if peace of mind is worth €30 I can't recommend the Yamada enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I bought an elta 8883 on ebay. Very handy for watching downloaded 24 eps, and for backing up many films in very good XviD quality on just one DVD-R.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

lads
    are we talking the same or better quality then playback on a pc with a CRT monitor ?

• Advertisement

The impression is of better quality than on the PC as you wouldn't be sitting anywhere near as close to your TV as you would a monitor. A decent DivX or Xvid encoding job and I would be hard pushed to tell the difference with a DVD.
    For anybody with a decent broadband connection (not choked with a poxy cap) I would regard it as a necessity. I now use CDRWs and DVDRWs like I used to use video tapes.
    If money is no object take a look at the Kiss brand of player. AFAIK they do one with a hard drive and direct encoding/recording from your cable or satellite signal, like a Sky+ box.

Advertisement