Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spyware

Options
  • 22-06-2004 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

i've got a spyware problem, constant pop ups and i can't change my home page.
    Tried ad aware download but it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

try spybot search and destroy aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Use HijackThis , get a log file from it, and post it here. At least that way people know what spyware you have and how you can tackle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Having the same prob here aswell some Spy/ Mal ware is tough to move.

Make sure your AntiVirus is uptodate to get rid of the dialers and that kind of crap

then as Robertfoster said get Search and Destroy, I heard Pest patrol is meant to be good aswell, I havent used it though.

http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?showforum=50

For more reading try those guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I had the same problem, the newest version of Spybot should fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

my mate got a DSO EXPLOIT spyware dialer and he has tried everything to rid but still comes back.....constant pop ups....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm currently having a problem with an occasional pair of pop-ups telling me that I have spyware and/or a trojan virus and asking me if I want to run an anti-spyware program, without any indication of what's "detecting" these and where it's running from. I've just run Spybot and most of the programs listed weren't detected by Spybot and I removed a couple of obvious ones like Gator and Doubleclick. Waiting to see if that did the trick, but I find Spybot pretty reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Here is a good link for an ad-ware removel tool:

Adware 6

Great tool!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

You could try coolweb shredder

Just tonight I was infected with a little fecker of a thing that kept popping up an advert for "ihatepops", was a struggle to get rid of, but a google search helped out after a few links.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I have exactly the same problem as zaph . pair of pop-ups telling me that I have spyware and/or a trojan virus and asking me if I want to run an anti-spyware program, without any indication of what's "detecting" these and where it's running from . Ive run everything listed here and cant get rid of the buggers .

I think they came from an installation of Tune Xp which I have un-instaled .. Help this is driving me MAD :confused:

Spyware.JPG

Couldn't have made that screencap any bigger?

Neither Ad-Aware or Spybot are any good on their own. You need to use one straight after the other - with the most up-to-date reference files - and finish off with a bit of HijackThis to pick up the stragglers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

have done that , the bastardos keep returning ......

You'll need to get into the registry and do some manual removal then... They're probably getting reloaded from

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

or HKLU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Back up your registry before you make any changes, just in case....

As well as that, delete everything from c:\WINDOWS\TEMP, C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp, and C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Also check C:\Program Files\Common Files for any folders which appear to be spyware-related...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I recently got some ad-ware on my pc, I tried my best to remove it, but I was not unsuccesfull. I ended up having to format and reinstall Windows. But that was more of a virus than spyware I think.

I hope you do not have to do that.

Good luck with the removal!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Post you hijack this logs- I will give it a gander for you

Advertisement