Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's a tech help challenge...

Options
  • 22-06-2004 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I posted this in the Security board but no one can help..

I've seen this posted on other sites but none of the replys solved my problem. Basically when sending and receiving mail in OE6, I get the following error message:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail1.eircom.net', Server: 'mail1.eircom.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I've checked with Errorcom and there's nothing wrong on their end. From what I know it's something to do with my firewall. I've disabled email scaning in NAV 2004 Pro; I've tried shutting down ZoneAlarm, but sill no joy.

I'm running Win2k, with IE6 and OE6 all up to date.

For the love of God, can anyone help!!??!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Are you logged on using eircomnet dialup?
    isdn/analog/dsl?
    jd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 pharMinator

dsl - it was working fine for the last few months until recently I updated all my apps; and now this happens!

Any ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Did you check through the results from Google, particularly the ones on the Microsoft site?

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22Your+server+has+unexpectedly+terminated+the+connection%22

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

This guy seems to have found a solution:

http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID7/787.html

Can you telnet to the mail server? try running the following from the command prompt and see if you can make a connection:

telnet mail1.eircom.net 25

if it is able to connect it should display something like this:

220 mail90.svc.cra.dublin ESMTP

if that doesnt work then you definitely have some firewall / AV app blocking you..

If you do decide that OE is the problem (im not saying it is) here is some instructions from MS on removing and reinstalling OE6..

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/cgi-bin/external.cgi?http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q263837&

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Have you enabled SPA when its not meant to be enabled?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by pharMinator
    I posted this in the Security board but no one can help..

I'm running Win2k, with IE6 and OE6 all up to date.
    In case you wern't aware there are exploits for IE6 that not been patched. Firewall is essential. OE is famous for being the one email program that used to run viruses even if you DIDN'T open the email - it is more secure than it used to be, but that is saying nothing.

If telnet not work then at dos prompt try
    PING mail1.eircom.net
    PING 159.134.198.135 (last number may vary)

If only the second one works then DNS problem

Ok:
    dahamsta: I had tried these already but no joy,

fragile: tried uninstalling the account and setting it up again - still the same result; couldn't ping Port 25, I guess this means it IS a Zone Alarm / NAV problem. Do you know of a workaround? ps - that link is dead.

KdjaC: sorry for the ignorrance, but what exactly is SPA?

Come on guys we're almost there!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Are you using an Eircomnet bundled internet access ??

Vibe666 has done some extensive research into this over on Net/Comms and reached the conclusion that it was releated to the Broadband pop up ads which have appeared to Eircomnet Anytime users in recent months and found a solution....http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1665934#post1665934

No, not using their bundled SW. As I had said, things have been hunky dory for the past year - it's only in the last day or two that it's happened.

I'm guessing it's as a result of a recent update.

I'm surprised no one else has had this problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

pharMinator you cant ping port 25 you need to try to establish a telnet connection, when I try it from here I get:

220 mail03.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net ESMTP

if you are not getting this then the problem is not with OE but with your connection to the net.

What apps did you update, could there be any other app apart from Zone Alarm that is running a firewall?

Is POP working downloading mails?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Did that DNS flush work???

p.s. zonealarm is pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Uninstall Nav2004 and it'll work. Problem: Nav2004 is ****.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if it's only just started happening and you didn't get the eircom broadband adverts in your browser then it's most liekly to be NAV causing the problems, as this is always the most likely culprit.

having said that though you can normally ping the server even if NAV is acting up, so it might well be your firewall. as a test shut down the firewall and try again and see if it works.

if it does then you're going to have to trawl through your firewall settings and reset the ones for OE to allow it full access.

might be worth trying the flushdns thing too, just in case.

you could try recreating the email account too, sometimes that shifts it.

also try replacing the incoming and outgoing mail server address with it's IP address (159.134.198.135), again this can sometimes do the job.

basically the 0x800CCC0D, 0x800CCC0E & 0x800CCC0F errors are all to do with a lack of connection between you and the mail server. this can happen for a number of reasons, but mostly because you either aren't connected properly or there is something else getting in the way.

give the above a go and see how you do.

fragile:
    can't telnet with port 25, I get no response. I updated NAV Pro 2004 and NU 2002 (all through Live Update); now I know this might sound strange, but after trying to view a .pdf page online I downloaded updates for Acrobat!? POP is working fine.

joe_chicken:
    Remind me again, exactly what the dnsflush is?

vibe666:
    Just to recap, I've tried, disabling NAV and Zone Alarm(both independently and at the same time) turn off email scanner, ensured Internet lock is not on, I have removed my account and reinstalled it, I have tried the same acount settings through Outlook 2004(no joy!).

Is all thats left is to unistall NAV / ZoneAlarm?

in the command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns

this probably isnt the problem though!!!

thats why i was wondering if it worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by logic1
    Uninstall Nav2004 and it'll work. Problem: Nav2004 is ****.

.logic.

I've had a few people complaining about Nav2004, but I reckon most of the problems are to do with its compressed file scanning. This is slow as a dead bat buried in cement, and is on by default. I was close to removing it from 100-odd PCs until I discovered that turning this feature off solved any problems I previously had. Having said that, I've never used OutBreak Express so this might be completely irrelevant.

Joe, just did that and it worked.

Does anyone else have any ideas before I uninstall NAV?

OK guys, I have now uninstalled NAV, but it had no efect.

I also turned everything off on Zone Alarm, but still the same.

I'm getting desperate now, does anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

ok if you cannot telnet into port 25 and get a response something is blocking that port. Zonealarm is notorious for this even when it does not seem to be running. Uninstall it if you have it on you rmachine, then try and telnet into the port. IF you are still unsuccessfull then unistalll NAV and once again try and telnet into the port. It is most likely ZA causing the problem, try using Sygate instead

Originally posted by The Insider
    ok if you cannot telnet into port 25 and get a response something is blocking that port. Zonealarm is notorious for this even when it does not seem to be running. Uninstall it if you have it on you rmachine, then try and telnet into the port. IF you are still unsuccessfull then unistalll NAV and once again try and telnet into the port. It is most likely ZA causing the problem, try using Sygate instead

I second this : ZoneAlarm is pants

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Guessing you've checked for any crazy spy / ad / spamware that could already be using port 25 ?

Laters

Steve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Can you run sysconfig and disable the startup group and restart you computer.

Try your email if it it works then enable each item in the startup group one by one until it stops again and you've found the culprit.

Keep an eye open for apps that start themselves up again even when disabled - these are usually malware or virii.

I agree about zone alarm and NAV :)

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

I seen someone ask before but I did not see you answer the question. Can you ping the server? >> Msdos prompt, PING MAIL1.EIRCOM.NET

Second, change your DNS server to 194.125.133.10 >> Network connections, Properties of TCP/IP, DNS

Third, uninstall ZoneAlarm (I have it on my pc, no problems at all with it. Despite it not being popular here, I like it)

Forth, go into MSdos prompt and type >> IPCONFIG/FLUSHDNS

Fifth, CAN YOU PING THE DAMN SERVER :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Originally posted by ando
    I seen someone ask before but I did not see you answer the question. Can you ping the server? >> Msdos prompt, PING MAIL1.EIRCOM.NET

Second, change your DNS server to 194.125.133.10 >> Network connections, Properties of TCP/IP, DNS
    that's one of the indigo servers. i know it's much of a muchness, but occasionally the indigo dns servers can cause problems with eircom connections (although very rarely). if you want to give it a try tho the other one is the same IP address except for the last bit which is 11 instead of 10.

Did you ping the server?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I remember one of my family having a problem where they'd somehow inadvertently enabled or disabled the X.25 protocol in their settings, and were getting a similar problem.

Does anyone know if Eircom require X.25 to be enabled or disabled? Anyhow - try changing whatever the current value for X.25 is, and see if that helps. It should be in the connection properties somewhere as a checkbox.

Advertisement