Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Music Download

• 22-06-2004 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried the legal music download service from eircom yet? €3.00 a track sounds extortionate to me. itunes charge 79p in the UK and are talking about a europe wide launch in Autumn. Is it true that MP3s download from itunes can only be played back on an ipod (crap battery life and no radio).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

No, I'm pretty sure the Itunes can be listened to on anything.

The Eircom Music site will fail with prices that high, or even lower as nobody likes Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭huge

with competition like that theyll have to drop the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

I wasnt aware iTunes allowed you to download mp3s? I thought it was all DRMed AAC? Please enlighten me if this is incorrect.

You can of course use iTunes to burn these AAC files to CD, and then rip the CD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭istep

Is it true that MP3s download from itunes can only be played back on an ipod (crap battery life and no radio

DO NOT BUY AN IPOD.

I was that soldier ..... crap piece ok kit.

Sold my creative to my son for buttons got an ipod and hated it..

1. I run alot and it stops playing after 10 mins which the creative never did ( even tho they claim a 20 min cache)

2 Firmware is europe friendly so volume is limited ( so no running on roads then ) can't hear a damn thing. on 2G models there is a fix but on 3G ipods there is no fix apart from a program that boosts the gain on your mp3s ( don't like dat! Creatives are also euro friendly now also but you can flash them with the US firmware no probs

3 You can't transfer your music back to your computer from your ipod unless it's stored as a file in ipod hard disc mode ( if its stored in this mode on the ipod you can't play it you are only storing the file ! )

4 crap battery life ( didn't keep it long enough to discover this but read all the reports

Looks cool tho !

So brought it back to dixons and swapped it for creative Zen 40g got 100 euro back and a far superior player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by digitaldr
    Has anyone tried the legal music download service from eircom yet? €3.00 a track sounds extortionate to me. itunes charge 79p in the UK and are talking about a europe wide launch in Autumn. Is it true that MP3s download from itunes can only be played back on an ipod (crap battery life and no radio).

€3 a track?:eek: And record companies wonder why people pirate music?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 bobthebobbob

just looked at the site now....

it is €3 for 3 tracks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

try www.allofmp3.com costs about 1c a track!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by istep
    DO NOT BUY AN IPOD.

So brought it back to dixons and swapped it for creative Zen 40g got 100 euro back and a far superior player!

Agreed, also people should take a look at the iRiver iHP-100 (H100) series of MP3 players.

- Same size, weight and shape as the iPod.
    - 18 hour battery
    - Radio
    - LCD remote
    - Optical and analog line in
    - Optical and analog line out
    - Recording to MP3 or WAV from line in's or builtin dictaphone.
    - USB Mass storage device.
    - Cheaper then iPod.

iRiver also have a new series, the H300, coming out at the moment, similiar to the above, but adds a Colour screen, photo viewer, USB On The Go which allows you to directly connect to digital cameras and copy photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by L5
    try www.allofmp3.com costs about 1c a track!

If you encode at 32k, maybe. (or just download the preview tracks at 32k, ha)

Do have a look, though. Just don't give them your credit card details, pay by paypal. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Originally posted by phaxx
    If you encode at 32k, maybe. (or just download the preview tracks at 32k, ha)

Do have a look, though. Just don't give them your credit card details, pay by paypal. :)

At 128kbps most albums work out between 50 and 70 US cent. Thank you Russian Copyright Laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

It is obvious some of you are either blind or know nothing & hate eircom (well, we all do come to think of it - LOL).... Eircom's "music store" is nothing more than a reseller of OD2, so Eircom isn't charging those amounts, as they are merely reselling OD2 with an Eircom front end (which I believe is part owner by ex-Genesis man Peter Gabriel)......besides - come on, this is rip-off Ireland guys did you really expect anything you buy in Ireland to be as competitively priced as an American or UK company ;););)

::: SURF THE BOOB TUBE.............AND FIND BOOBS!!!! :::

originally posted by bk
    Agreed, also people should take a look at the iRiver iHP-100 (H100) series of MP3 players

Sweeet ! Looks good.

Lets start an ABI campaign ( anything but IPOD )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Have to agree with the Ipod comments. Its way to yuppie yuppie decaf latte for my tastes.

Have the zen xtra 40GB and its pure class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I wuv my ipod.

That is all.

sorry Duffman the ipod is duff .......man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

bah! you're just jealous because my ipod is prettier than you..

And on a slightly more serious note :) The ipod is better than the Creative players as a USB disk as it requires no drivers... It's also far prettier..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Fashion victims... A Creative nomad jukebox is miles cheaper than the equivalent ipod, and you'll have loads of money left to buy Notmad Explorer if you like accessing things through Windows Explorer, not to mention a few quid for some legal music downloads :ninja:

Yup ... remember duffman it's a marathon not a beauty contest !

Advertisement