Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Splendor

Options
  • 22-06-2004 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

Does anybody read this comic? I went along to the movie during the Kilkenny Comedy festival and Harvey Pekar and his family came on afterwards to answer some questions.

It's an interesting comic. I'm more of a Calvin and Hobbes, Asterix etc. fan than anything to do with superheroes so it really floats my boat. He writes about mundane daily experiences like shopping. You'd think it would be dull but it's actually very compulsive reading. And there's a different artist working with him every comic so it's interesting to see how different ones interpret his writing and illustrate it.

He's a gas man as well. He has this sort of pissed off expression he wears all the time thats kind of hilarious.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I got the collected book that was released after the movie and really enjoyed it, his writing is compelling, turning little anecdotes that could otherwise be dull into real character pieces. The different artists make it even more interesting, since you never know how he'll be drawn and there's a lot to be learned about drawing styles from looking over them.

Easons are carrying the book, as far as I know (at least, the one in Cork has had a couple of copies the last few times I've looked) so I'd definitely suggest it for anyone not looking for spandex-clad musclemen in their fix of comics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭moggie

loved the movie and tried to catch the kilkenny q&a but it was all chockers sold out

never read the comic but a mate of mine swears by them
    especially "our cancer year" - said it was amazing
    scary in a way too,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Just finished The Life and Times of Harvey Pekar book tonight and it was brilliant. I'll definately be picking up Our Cancer Year next. It was in Easons in Kilkenny. I hope they have it near me in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

didnt like the film much really tbh. Didnt see what the big fuss was all about. Fair enough - it wasnt totally shyte or anything - but I didnt think it was great at all.

Dont see how the comics could be much good either. Seems pretty boring.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Depends on what you look for in a comic, really. If you want characterisation to be more important that the stories themselves, American Splendor is a good choice. If you're looking for a straightforward story, probably less so.

I reiterate my earlier statement that anyone who reads superhero books on a regular basis won't like this - otherwise I'd still say it's worth a look. Although if you really didn't like the film, you probably wouldn't like his writing style.

• Advertisement
Advertisement