Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN Downgrade, HELP ME!!!!?

Options
  • 22-06-2004 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hey people ive been reading this forum for a long time.

just wondering, i have isdn, i want downgrade and get bb with a diff company. my line passes the test.

i rang €ircom and she said it would cost €29.99 to downgrade and get dsl enabled, this sounds quite cheap, considering if i get net source to do it, it costs 165 euro? does 29.99 sound right???anyone have exprience of this?

€ircom to do downgrade+netsource self install - around 115euro
    netsource to do all - 165euro ex-vat

netsource is 50-60 euro dearer? is this right.

also €ircom said there is a slim chance of the line failing once downgraded?

if any1 has advice about downgrading i would REALLY appreciate it :-)

(P.S i HATE €IRCOM)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭huge

ive isdn at the moment 64k and eircom flat rate 150hrs per month cant wait till bb gets to my area im paying more now than what id be paying for bb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

One word of caution:

If the line fails when you downgrade, you are charged installation fee to get your ISDN back in. And that's around €120!

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Niallmannion

is there a strong chance it will fail? what would be the reason for this?

has anyone had the downgrade and failed after it. or heard about anybody this has happened to,

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Niallmannion
    if i get net source to do it, it costs 165 euro? does 29.99 sound right???
    Just as a matter of interest, why are you going with netsource?

• Advertisement

well its either them or digiweb, prob digiweb -
    i want the 1024k service.

utv - dont want telephony packege
    eircom - too crap
    iol - not sure why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by huge
    ive isdn at the moment 64k and eircom flat rate 150hrs per month cant wait till bb gets to my area im paying more now than what id be paying for bb

Just wondering how much just something like that cost. My line fails BB test and my dialup is abysmal with dropped connection. Getting ISDN, at least they'd have to clean up my line. I could then get BB in the future. At the moment my net connection is useless.

Incidentally I have found my phone calls and dialup cost have dropped massively since I switched to UTVIP. But the dropped connection is getting progressively worse and its driving me mental now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Well I had an ISDN downgrade and the line fails the BB test. Of course with ISDN before that it failed the test also. Dialup speeds are not too bad on (about 4.5k) as a rule.

I am waiting on the 4 weekly line test to see if it makes a difference. Probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Originally posted by Delphi91
    One word of caution:

If the line fails when you downgrade, you are charged installation fee to get your ISDN back in. And that's around €120!

Mike

"also €ircom said there is a slim chance of the line failing once downgraded?"

If the situation is as you've described it, I think that is simply not acceptable. It just should not be at the risk of the consumer.
    Broadband penetration in Ireland is bad enough as it is and this hurdle should not be in the way of any person who wants to go bb.

Ask Comreg's director of consumer affairs Bobby Hannon bobby.hannon@comreg.ie and/or Ministers Dermot Ahern minister@dcmnr.gov.ie and/or the Consumer Association dermott.jewell@consumerassociation.ie to intervene.

If you do, will you let us know the response?

Dermot had to answer a Bruton question in the Dail recently about bb penetration in Ireland, and while he tries to wriggle and evade, the truth of the situation is obvious.

P.

thanx guys, ive ordered the downgrade so ill see what happens, anyway i have the name of the person who took the order and said that stuff to me, so if anything goes wrong - ill just blame him!

@eircomtribunal, thanks for those email addresses, i hope i wont need to use them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Why would a line thats been able to take ISDN not work with Broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

because richardo,

i speak for myself when i say this, from my expirence of eircom they are more interested in selling you ISDN because A its 35 yo yos per month and an eircom any time connection im on is 30 euro an month so its 65 euro per month for me.

If i went over to eircom Broadband which would be 30/40 euro an month therefore eircom loose their 25 or more euro for the dividents at the end of the year for their greedy shareholders.

Ireland is apparently the only country that you can fail an ISDN line for DSL compatability, because if you have isdn in theory the line should be capable of downloading at upto 14/15k a second (remembering that eircom only split your line in two for the second line).

When isdn was first launched here it was on an Qualification basis only, which was when we got it after having our line replaced (98/99?), now interesting thing here is ISDN is suppose to clean your line i dont know how but it dose. Ive had my line tested by the idiots in eircom 100,000 times and 4 out of the times i have called it had passed (nothing to do with weather conditions).

Yet i payed an engineer to pulse and tone test my line and guess what my line is of an high standard with below avarage noise, so in his opinion the line IS DSL compatable.

So it is self evident the eircom system is set to fail your line as many times as possible and notice how the sugjest HI-SPEED line (aka isdn) all just an revenue making scam.

I have written an email to above addresses hopefully they will be able to help.

My exchange is dsl enabled and is 100 feet away from my house, i know what direction it gose and is an max of 500 feet long from exchange to my house.!

Advertisement