Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver 3 (Controversy)

Options
  • 22-06-2004 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭

for those who live in the south dublin area and would like to get thsi game NOW a few days early just drop to dun laoghaire computers on the 3rd floor of the shopping centre been there since saturday i think
    also it is excellent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Brock
    also it is excellent

not what I've heard tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    not what I've heard tbh...

I just got it in golden disks in waterford here today if anyones interested, bit harsh there m8, it doesnt have the open play option of say a GTA VICE CITY, but its a damn playable game

3 cities 176 square miles 25 plus main missions, what more could you ask for and an inbuilt director mode so ye can put together films of you most spectacular crashes etc

Well worth a purchase

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

the driving part (80% of game) is excellent! the onfoot part is brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's on sale in Game and Xtra-Game in the square too, €49.99 in both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Eurogamer forums has some interesting views on it, their review is of a game not to be looked orward to.

Last 2 weeks i been playing Driver on PC kinda hoping all the reviews were wrong, not even gonna bother getting it now.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Originally posted by lee_baby_simms

I also heard it was 50|50....

And the aiming isn't up to scratch (can't move and shoot or something) - and shiraz (from the daily mirror last saturday) gave it 2/5

I wanted to get this game, probably rent it first though, or wait for the PC version...

And no, I've not a "driver basher" or a "GTA fanboy" - I was just saying what I heard, not my actual opinion as I've yet to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

after how cool driver 1 was, i really hope driver 3 is decent. 2 was a shambles, and its always sad to see a game that pioneered a genre fall from grace, but i get the feeling ill need my baster to play this one, cause it looks like its gonna be a turkey...

This is superb ,make your own minds up about it.

I will try make it nice and short, Xbox World mag awarded Driver 3 9/10. Amid a lot of WTFS the seemingly isnt a 9/10 game.
    When the game came ouy there was a Xbox World 9/10 sticker on the front and a VOUCHER for the mag in the MANUAL all printed and stuff.

Official reply from editor
    Well then. Our review score for Driv3r seems to have created quite a stir and with half of you baying for blood and demanding a response from XBW, I thought I'd brave the forums. Ulp.

First off I'd like to totally refute the suggestion that magazines, and specifically XBW, take bribes - monetary or otherwise - to inflate review scores. Sure we might get the odd T-shirt sent to us or a pint bought by a PR but never, in 4 years of working at Future, have I ever given a game an inflated score because a/ I've been ordered to or b/ I've been thrown a bung. Sure I've over marked games - 9/10 for MOH: Rising Sun in OPS2 I will freely admit was a grave error of judgement but an honest mistake. But that's another story entirely.

Further to this, the allegation that there is some grand conspiracy between ourselves and Atari - 'you give it a nine, we'll lob a sticker on the box and a page in the manual' - is again wrong. The sticker was agreed on only after the review had been written and sent to press.

So to Driv3r. It's a great game and we stand by the review. Our staffie played it to completion and loved it, as did the man who wrote our tips guide. However, with regard to the technical issues raised on this forum then you may have a point. Because of the long lead times for magazines and the fact that it was an exclusive review, the code we reviewed from was not final. We were made aware of some bugs in the game and were promised that these would be sorted by the time of release. I cannot comment on whether these were fixed or not but I have an unopened boxed copy of the game on my desk and will endeavour to check it out this evening - there's been too much footie on for serious gaming sessions at home! If it transpires that what was supposedly going to be fixed wasn't, then we will speak to Atari. But like I say, can't comment on that yet. That said, the old PS1 games were greeted with rapturous applause and they were pretty ropy technically in places - slowdown and pop-up aplenty - but had the killer gameplay that we believe has carried over to the latest Driver incarnation.

So with this in mind perhaps a 9 was a little too enthusiastic. Perhaps. But for gamescentral to score it a 3 is just plain rubbish. A 3, or even a 6, would suggest that the game is fundamentally broken and the gameplay offers little if anything in the way of enjoyment. This is simply not true, far from it. If we were to review from the boxed copy and found that all the technical issues had not been resolved then I believe we still would have scored it an 8 or 9 but again, this is pure conjecture and I'll comment when I've played it.

At the end of the day, Bob, much of this is surely down to personal opinion and taste. Can I point you in the direction of OXM's Shadow Ops review in their current issue? This is in no way a personal attack on Gavin Ogden (we'll leave the petty bitching to Xbox Gamer) but 8/10 is, in our opinion, a very very high score for the game. We've only just gone to print with our review so I wont give out our score but I only mention this to illustrate that games, like most things in life, are so often down to the reviewer's/gamer's taste. An another example - I'm currently having a heated discussion with the boss about Leilani and whether she's hot to trot or not. She is, he's entirely wrong, I am entirely right.

Right, I'll stop rambling on now. Hope this goes someway to answering your points. I await responses with extreme trepidation...

Please note this post is speaking for XBW and not PSM2.

Nick Ellis
    Deputy editor, XBW"

Eurogamer thread on it.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=14548&forum_id=1

Gamesradar thread
    http://forum.gamesradar.com/viewtopic.php?t=43524

if you bored read it all very interesting, from what i have seen from indy reviewers the game is crap buggy and unfinished and aanyone who has it says the same.
    But this mag gives it 9/10 ....

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Smells like Enter the Matrix to me, and who published that?

• Advertisement

Atari :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

some of the reviews around the net are tearing it to shreads..

crashed my bosses xbox this morning, 15 minutes into the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I know for a fact that review scores in magazines are tied to exclusives and full page add's in future issues and all that kinda thing..

fella is talking out his arse if he says he has never seen it :)

Look at the scores in Offical PS2 or Offical XBox magazines and compare them to gameranking.com - most of them may level out, but you get the odd one thats a 9 in the print mags, getting 5,6 or 7 average across 10 or 20 websites

just rented it...I have it for a week. the conrols aren't too great on foot, and I wish I could re-asign them in car (I keep beeping my horn while trying to slide around a corner a la GTA :D)

shooting is not fun....aiming with the PS2 joypad isn't as good as using a mouse...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Future Publishing signed a pact with the devil years ago. Painkiller is based on their exploits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by lee_baby_simms

Yep, Id agree. Everytime an on foot bit comes up, its like "why, why??". Its a bit easy, hope there are more driving bits later.

Also the plot seems rather confusing... it doesnt really explain why you are such a bad cop... I dont mean a "badass", you just suck as far as law enforcement goes. In Truecrime (which had much better on foot, though worse car) you could arrest people and get involved in car chases etc.

Matt

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55870

Eurogamer review, they raped it....

kdjac

Driv3r:The angel of darkness.

Originally posted by KdjaC
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55870

Eurogamer review, they raped it....

kdjac

Bloody hell they did an all didnt they, i still stand by what i said, Driver was is and never will be a GTA beater, its a good game but not the classic is could have been, especially with the 4 year lead time

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Well that's what you get for reading a mag that reviews games based on a version that's not finished yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Blatant bribery and underhand dealings going on there. Driv3r is a shambles of a game. I hadn't read any reviews or heard anything before we rented it yesterday (so I wasn't influenced by any reviews out there), and IMHO it's a piss poor game. Enter The Matrix all over again.

Boy am I ever glad I didn't actually buy it though.

The gamesradar thread has all sorts of industry peeps posting in it., its at 14 pages.

Anyone bored in work read it its unreal how this happened.

kdjac

Originally posted by KdjaC
    The gamesradar thread has all sorts of industry peeps posting in it., its at 14 pages.

Anyone bored in work read it its unreal how this happened.

kdjac

Wheres that thread located KDJAC

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

It's here .

Interesting read alright. Hardly the first time this has been done though?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sure I've over marked games - 9/10 for MOH: Rising Sun in OPS2 I will freely admit was a grave error of judgement but an honest mistake. But that's another story entirely.
    lmao:D
    this guy should have his thumbs chopped off ffs

Souldve seen this coming really. Tomb raider:AOD, enter the matrix, all massive hype, all massive shite. Driver 3 no exception. Or as someone on EG forums dubbed it, 'driver 3/10' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

ive tried to just plough on with this game but i really couldnt be bothered.

shocking popup, unengaging and totally grey plot and characters, really poor aiming and movement conrol. The enemy AI is depressingly shallow...this game has everything!

flicking to thrill cam is quite nice though and the chase missions with a gunman are great, its fun to recreate a Ronin vibe in Nice for about half an hour...

driv3r has more glitches than well...driver 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

EG really ripped it apart. More Driv3l than Driv3r then it seems.

Advertisement