Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver 3 (Controversy)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by smiaras
    New evidence has come in regarding the controversy :D

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/driv3r.jpg
    hehe :)

Pff who trusts games mags anyway?
    Mag writers are no more qualified to rate games than some random muppet from the G-team, or your little brother... the only difference is that they (a) can get the games first (b) can write a few snappy paragraphs about it... they're entitled to their opinion, but let's face it - that's all it is... one mans opinion.
    I prefer to play a demo first and decide if I like it.
    Burned by a review? boo-fkity-hoo, live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Rented Driv3r yesterday.

Played it for an hour or two and gave up. It's prob not far to give it a review after such a short time but I would definitely recommend that people rent it first if they were thinking of buying.

I found the game to be uninspiring and glitchy.
    The on foot sections are pretty dreadful.
    Theres not much sense of speed either IMO.
    Popup is pretty dodgy...etc...etc

Just rent before you buy for your own sake

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    Burned by a review? boo-fkity-hoo, live and learn.

...and find a reviewer, or site, which agrees with your idea of a 'good' game [+ use demos etc].

Using demos alone is just as bad as picking up a magazine, or newspaper, you’ve never read and trusting the review because you see five little stars under it.

Reviews should not say…
    - this game is da best game ever – bleeding rapid

Reviews should say… this is a truly brilliant game if you…
    - like such and so
    - can forgive such and so
    - are buying it for your five year old
    - , but it’s exceptionally short – go rent the bloody thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

damn right monument.
    read multiple reviews and check a demo before buying a game if at all possible.
    it always helps if you actually read the review, instead of only looking at the pictures and the score.

having said that, i usually buy a game after a quick scan over a eurogamer review and a peek at the score.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

seen the Tv add thought it was GTA San Andreas for a mo looks pretty cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Eurogamer and Edge seem to lie the same gams i do.

But neither can be relied upon for the review when i need it.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Edge can't be relied on? They were they only reviewers out there to give Enter the Matrix a really crap score; 3/10

Not like that i mean game comes out on a friday and a month later its reviewed.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by monument
    Using demos alone is just as bad as picking up a magazine, or newspaper, you’ve never read and trusting the review because you see five little stars under it.
    I don't think it's as bad personally, I can't think of any demo I've played where I've gone and bought the game based on the demo, then been dissapointed... but then I'm very picky about what games I buy.
    Usualy if I find myself playing the same demo over and over again and the novelty hasn't worn off - then I know it's a winner :)

I'd seen excellent reviews for Project IGI before I bought it (and without having played a demo of it) and I was disgusted by how unfinished it felt.
    Although I take your point, if they'd released a demo of only the first level, I might have thought it was great... as it only started to stink badly as you got further into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Not like that i mean game comes out on a friday and a month later its reviewed.
    If you like reading a magazine review based on actual finished code available in the shops there's nothing that can be done about that.

Originally posted by sceptre
    If you like reading a magazine review based on actual finished code available in the shops there's nothing that can be done about that.

The way it should be for websites is they get the game on a monday and its released on friday. So review is up thursdays , IGN do it that way but they kinda rate games i dont like higher than games i do like.

kdjac

Atari announced today that 2.5 million units of Driv3r have already been shipped worldwide. The game is available for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox and carries a price of $49.95 and an ESRB rating of 'M' for Mature. Check the screenshots if you haven't done it yet.

http://www.gamershell.com/news_2.5MillionUnitsofBDRIV3R.shtml

job done.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Over the last too many years I've played games that got crap reviews and didn't sell and really enjoyed them and vice versa found a few top selling mega review games that I've hated. Maybe I should get a job as a reviewer then or does it point to the fact that everyones taste is differrent.
    BTW Driver 3 seems OK not a 9/10 but definately not a 3/10 either (ok i'v only tried 20 or so mins last night)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

<<merged>>
    Originally posted by sceptre
    EG really ripped it apart. More Driv3l than Driv3r then it seems.

"Driv3r is a game that fails on so many levels that it would be impossable to call it fun - less Driv3r then Driv3l"

- Nick Gillett, the Guide, the Guardian (today)

Originally posted by KdjaC
    job done.

In the short term, yes. However, in the long term, it may be damaging for a publisher to make such an apparently Driv3l game. (sorry, I couldn’t resisted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by monument
    <<merged>>

"Driv3r is a game that fails on so many levels that it would be impossable to call it fun - less Driv3r then Driv3l"

- Nick Gillett, the Guide, the Guardian (today)

In the short term, yes. However, in the long term, it may be damaging for a publisher to make such an apparently Driv3l game. (sorry, I couldn’t resisted)

I prefer driver 3/10 myself :)
    I played it for a bit in gamestop, it didnt seem TOO bad, i think some reviews are a bit harsh, maybe 5 out of 10. Tho maybe longterm playing would bring it down to 3 tho *L*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was in Gamestop Santry yesterday to pick up an xbox. Was telling praetorian the other day about the Driv3r contraversy. He pointed out that they had a kid was playing Driv3r so i had a look. The first thing I saw was the guy getting out of a car and a pedestrian running straight through a solid wall. Not good impressions. In the 5 minutes I was looking at it I noticed lots of other silly bugs. The streets were almost always completely empty. The graphics were also crap. Probably the worst texturing i've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i don't think the graphics are that bad to be honest. the lighting could be better (night time view is awful), but i think the graphics are alright. car handling is like trying to control a pregnant elephant, and the motorbikes handle like nible mice.

everyone's mentioned the bugs. first bug i noticed (got the game today) was when i was on a motorbike. the spawning engine showed it's true colours. a motorbike spawned on top of another car. what the hell? then peds started running into and through walls for no reason.

i was hoping for this to be a stop-gap until gta:san andreas (which is looking absolutely amazing right now), but alas it wont be.

Advertisement