Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chemistry stores in Irland

• 22-06-2004 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

How easy do chemistry stores in irland give out (sell) chemicals that are when mixed potentionally dangerous?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

As far as I know you've to obtain a garda permit or something.

I'm sure it very much depends on what you hoped to obtain, what combinations of products and the quantities etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

There are a number of house hold chemicals that when mixed are potentially dangerous (and of course in keeping with the Charter I will not tell you the chemicals or how to mix such chemicals). Then again, switching on a light switch with wet hands is potentially dangerous too.

However, I do remember quite an amusing anicdote (and widely know science) from a few years back when I was doing my Red Cross Ambulance training (I got to drive the Ambulance around the village) about a woman who was rushed to hospital after urinating in a toilet. It appeared that she urinated in a toilet that she had just cleaned and failed to flush. The acid from her urine mixed with the base of the bleach and the resulting mixture got so hot that she ended up cracking the toilet bowl and getting shards of porcelin lodged into her backside, ever since then I have always made sure that the toilet bowl didnt have any cleaning products in it before using it. Although years on I still have not been able to reproduce her "feat" of stupidity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

Thats a pretty mad story. By right she can sue the manufacturer of the toilet cleaner, even though it should tell something about flushing in the instructions.

Im not intending on purchasing any chem's, nor using household substances to make something. I was just wondering how the laws in Irland cope with this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Their is a list of controlled chemicals issued by the polis (normally these chemicals are those used to manufacture drugs or explosives). Any Laboratory supply house in Ireland will quote you these chemicals wily-nily but when you go to order them a sheet will be forwarded to you for completion asking your uses, requirements, and special permit number - they cannot supply you with Chemicals until they receive this sheet completed fully.

Advertisement