Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband for the Midlands

Options
  • 22-06-2004 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Apologies if everyone is already aware of this but came across an ad in local paper re wireless broadband in midlands. Looks like it really is happening - spoke to the guy responsible for this website http://www.nalcro.com/ who it seems is an agent for the company. Only a business product available at the mo but he said they were about to launch a home product. H ethinks it may be around the 45 euro mark. Prices for the business product seem a bit steep - e69 per month and 250 install fee plus 120 for a router. Contention is supposedly 1:20 and it's 512k up and down.

Anyone got this already or know anything about the company who are supplying it - I think they are called "Last Mile Wireless".

Here's a blurb from the agents site:

"Broadband Internet for the Midlands
    Wireless Broadband Internet Service is now available in most parts of the midlands. Our service area extends through Counties Offaly, Westmeath, Roscommon and some other Midland counties. Initially we will offer services in the region of Athlone, Tullamore, Mullingar, Edenderry, Roscommon, Moate, Clara, Kilbeggan. Kinnegad, Castlepollard and Ballinasloe..........Ferbane Longford Banagher,
    Lanesborough Daingean / Rhode, Moate Ballyleague Kinnegad
    Ballinlough Ballymahon Rochfortbridge
    Ballyhaunis Kilbeggan Edgeworthstown......

Pricelist
    Service Speed Monthly Cost Installation Cost Download Limit
    SOHO 512k/512k €69 €249 15GBytes
    Business 512k/512k €99 €299 Unlimited
    Enterprise 1M/1M €149 €299 Unlimited
    Network 1M/1M €199 Call Unlimited"

Edit:

More info here:

http://www.lastmile.ie/faq.html

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I was talking to Cyril from Last Mile for a while this evening. They seem to have the right approach combined with a good attitude, and they also have a raft of 3.5GHz licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Last Mile Wireless were awarded FWALA licenses from ComReg a while back so are commited to rolling out a service. Check out the link below.

Click Here
    thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭captainmustard

Was chatting someone in Last mile today and they said 30/month inc VAT (Residential) and 130 installation.Probably wont provide firewall for that price but 30/month sounds good.Said to register details on their site but when i tried to do this says all fields not entered.The site is not the best in the world by a long shot but FAQ is ok and will do the job i suppose.Seems like a great (and only)alternative to Eircom and waiting for them to roll out DSL to towns like Edenderry,Rhode,Clara,Ferbane and Kinnegad among others will be a long way away yet i reckon.There must be demand in places like these and surrounding areas for BB and the best of luck to all concerned in getting the midlands up to speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 P45

Any idea if the service is "line of sight" only? I live just southeast of Carbury, so their service looks interesting, that's if it in my neck of the woods, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

The reseller told me that it is line of sight dependent. In edenderry, that means the Water tower - don't know if that is close enough to carbury, but its worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭captainmustard

Daingean has its connection on the water tower also. 20 miles or so and signal starts to fade.Tom Mcdermot (Rhode man) is the reseller.Dead nice.Chatting him and installation is 150e and monthly cost is 30e. (inc VAT,although this is residential package) 70e for business package.With residential,4Gig month cap 512 up/128 down.Business 15gig cap,512 up and down.Rhode base station wont be up till Sept but i can see daingean base station and could connect through that

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

Originally posted by whiteyq
    Said to register details on their site but when i tried to do this says all fields not entered.
    It seems to work for me. Did you enter all the fields it asked for (Name, Address, Town and Phone Number)?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Last Mile are in talks with Viking et al re a group broadband scheme for Kinnegad.

Don't know how far this has progressed or indeed if it will fly at all but we live in hope.

They are the only player at the monent for edenderry, clonard, daingean, enfield, hill of downs, rhode, etc.

Considering this is all prime commuter belt area, I think they will mop up with users looking to telecommute/work from home.

JWT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by jwt
    Don't know how far this has progressed or indeed if it will fly at all but we live in hope.
    Progressing nicely indeed. Unfortunately, I can't give full details of where we're at and whats happening but hopefully a positive announcement will be made shortly.

viking

Advertisement