Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on tft's

Options
  • 23-06-2004 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a tft lcd display.... What should i look out for??? i would want to be playing games on it....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Responce time is important for gaming.......... have a look at these two threads and all will be explained.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=195630

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=203663

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

I can't recommend TFT's over CRT's. Im still one of those that like having a very high refresh rate at more than 150Hz, TFT's as far as i know currently only go up to 75Hz.

But one plus about tft's picture quality, its much sharper but therefore the CRT has more resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Pyrogenx, you're talking out of your arse.

TFT's don't "refresh" like CRT monitors. When something changes in the image to be displayed, it changes on the TFT (within its specced response time). Each pixel will stay the same until it is required to change again.

I find TFT's far easier on the eye because of this lack of a constant flicker. As you mentioned, the image is much sharper.

Stephen - would you mind me asking you, how come TFT's are performing much worse at games ? We have tested it and on the same machine the games seem to run more fluent with the CRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Like I said that's down to the response time of the TFT, nothing to do with refresh rates. More expensive ones generally have lower response times. The lower the response time is the less "ghosting" or other undesired effects you'll have. The response time refers to how quickly each pixel can react to a change in the displayed image.
    A response time of less than 20ms should be pretty much unnoticable.

The threads col_loki linked to above probably contain all of this information and a whole lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by pyrogenx
    Stephen - would you mind me asking you, how come TFT's are performing much worse at games ? We have tested it and on the same machine the games seem to run more fluent with the CRT.

This is a known "flaw" with TFTs.

I personally find it very difficult to use a CRT anymore. TFT are far less stressful after alot of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Like I said that's down to the response time of the TFT, nothing to do with refresh rates. More expensive ones generally have lower response times. The lower the response time is the less "ghosting" or other undesired effects you'll have. The response time refers to how quickly each pixel can react to a change in the displayed image.

Yea thats bang on. With a decent Responce time (the better TFT's) its hard to notice any difference between CRT and TFT gaming / DVD etc wise. They have been improving more and more over the last while .
    I personally find it very difficult to use a CRT anymore. TFT are far less stressful after alot of use.

Yea i find the same. Love using TFT's , have a nice big 19" for general use, its ok for dvd & gaming. Also when comparing the size of CRT and TFT's people can get fooled, The TFT's list Viewable size while the CRT's dont (ie 17" CRT is 15.9" viewable or something like that).

Have used the Herc ProfetView, there very nice TFT's.

Yeah but still, i wouldn't go for a TFT yet. I think you would still have to spend too much money to get a good one. But maybe in about a years time they have improved so much that even the budget screens will be very good compare to what you can get today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by pyrogenx
    Yeah but still, i wouldn't go for a TFT yet. I think you would still have to spend too much money to get a good one. But maybe in about a years time they have improved so much that even the budget screens will be very good compare to what you can get today.

Aren't TFT prices slowly rising, not falling? Something about scarcity of raw materials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Aren't TFT prices slowly rising, not falling? Something about scarcity of raw materials?

Very true they are supposed to rise? Not much tho.

1. How can you compare a TFT to CRT, If you made the switch from CRT to TFT then you will never go back. They are so much beter.

The whole disscussion about response times / game etc... If you look at a few reviews you will get yourself the perfect TFT, there is no ghosting / draging / image loss on my TFT which is 2 years old no (I think) LG L1710B.

All I'll say is go with one that you have researched & has a DVI interface.

Thanks JoePC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

Have used the Herc ProfetView, there very nice TFT's

yeah but these have a response time of 20ms which is weird considering they are considered the best for gaming.

A bit off topic but i am finding it hard to find places that sell this tft apart from ebuyer, nethier overclockers or dabs has it

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭maxpower

cheers lads!!! What do ya think of de 17" benq ?????? any good???

If you can stretch to the price, the ViewSonic VP171s is a great choice. You can get them here or here. Personally, I would go with Amazon - cheaper and better shipping options. It's a relatively expensive screen, but definetly worth it.

Is the " Viewsonic VP171S " a good "TFT" for gaming???? I'm talking good enough for Half life 2 (if it ever comes out?????)

damm thats gona cost about 550!!!!!! good thing me 21st is next week!!!

hey lads what do ya think of this!!!! some lad is selling this ????? is it any good??? worth de money!!!???

Originally posted by maxpower
    Is the " Viewsonic VP171S " a good "TFT" for gaming???? I'm talking good enough for Half life 2 (if it ever comes out?????)

Well, there's no (well, I don't notice it anyway) ghosting as long as you use it in landscape mode - I find that when it's in portrait mode, there is a little ghosting. But I doubt you'd be playing games/watching DVDs in portrait mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Say a TFT has recommended resolution of 1600x1200 and goes to 1024x768 as its lowest, does that fúck you over if you wanna play games at 800x600 mode? (I can't play in any other mode!) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    Say a TFT has recommended resolution of 1600x1200 and goes to 1024x768 as its lowest, does that fúck you over if you wanna play games at 800x600 mode? (I can't play in any other mode!) ;)

TFTs have ONE resolution only. They can display other resolutions but they'll look like they've been heavily anti aliased. Some TFT's do this well, and some look awful. MY Sony Laptop TFT does this very well whereas my Relysis 17" TFT does it really badly.

Try before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Hmmm.... but I love my chunky player models! ;) Hehe, wonder if places would let you try FPSs on the models before you buy :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Vladimar

Originally posted by Einstürzende

If you can only play in 800x600 then it's not the monitor you should be spending money on IMO.

The standard res of a 15" TFT would be 1024x768.
    A 17" would normally do 1280x1024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by subway_ie
    Lordy no!, the opposite as a matter of fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

LG Flatron L1720B.
    :)Real fast response time, 16ms.
    :)Excellent quality, and I paly a good few games on it no problem.
    :( no DVI input but thats not really the end of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

generally tfts are terrible at doing resolutions other than their recomended optimum. that means if you get a big tft you will have to run games at its native resolution of 1280x1024 or even 1600x1200. try playing farcry at 1600x1200:)
    if you reduce the resolution you greatly reduce the picture quality.
    in the end it comes down to one thing, do you really need the space that bad to be willing to sacrifice theperformance advantages of a crt.

Originally posted by Dman_15
    generally tfts are terrible at doing resolutions other than their recomended optimum. that means if you get a big tft you will have to run games at its native resolution of 1280x1024 or even 1600x1200. try playing farcry at 1600x1200:)
    if you reduce the resolution you greatly reduce the picture quality.
    in the end it comes down to one thing, do you really need the space that bad to be willing to sacrifice theperformance advantages of a crt.

Not all TFT's look terrible in other resolution. Like I said early my sony looks great in 1024 even though the native res is 1280.

Apart from space TFT are less harmful on your eyes. Thats a big difference too.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

hi guys i just wanted to know if you think i made a huge mistake ordering this monitor;

TFT 19" Benq FP991

i couldnt get google to translate it there for me for some reason but my main issue is that the response time is 25ms

im not a huge gamer or movie watcher but i do do both now and again

the thing is when i ordered it i was more taken back my the pivot and probably didnt do as much research into TFT's as i should have

so i was just wondering how bad is 25ms?? and should i try change my order?

Lads What do ya think of the new tft's with 12ms responce time on Jes copmuters??? ne good?? like price V's Preformance.... for gaming... can spend up to 400 yoyo's

Wow thats a very short responce time.

25ms, you'll have to try it and see. Mines a 20ms and I find it ok. I don't think I could live with a slower one though.

The Samsumg 12ms are meant to be quite good. What make and model are on the Jes site? The samsung uses TN display modes rather than PVA. Apparently PVA is meant to be better, and TN displays typically have shallower viewing angles and do not appear as crisp. According to this article at least.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2072&p=2
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1918&p=5

here's the tft's on the jes site... only took a quick glance over them

tft's on Jes

tell me what yas think lads??? looking for a 17" @ round de 400 mark could go more!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

I got a Samsung 710n

12ms response time. 1280 res
    I'm big into my UT2k4 and this is a beauty. No blur/ghost/dead pixels

The diagonal is about 5mm less then the 19" CRT that just died on me

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=3457725 (bought here when on hols) Its on Elara.ie for about €440

Its the cheapest 17" x 12ms lcd I could find

Advertisement