Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tremdously simple home network setup

Options
  • 23-06-2004 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Sorry for the noob question, but I am not versed on basic networking principals. My situation is I have a bb connection into a 4 port router/modem. 2 ports have desktops, another port has a wireless access point. All run XP and all work fine.

Now, if I´m on the laptop and want to access the files on one of the desktops, what additional bits to I need. A switch? Or a different router? I dont know the difference, so a simple answer would be great thanks. I want to keep the independent internet access I have on the PCs now too.

Cheers,

Robbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

You may not need any additional hardware if its a plain access point. If its not working it may be becuase the different systems are not set up on the same IP subnet - something like 192.168.1.x. How does each system get its IP address - from the router probably? check if the laptop has a similiar IP address with only the last digits changed.

Advertisement