Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2000 auto power-off? - Help

Options
  • 23-06-2004 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I've just upgraded a Dell Dimension V350 machine from Windows 98 to Windows 2000 Pro. When 98 was installed, the machine automatically powered itself down. However, now with 2000 pro installed, when I shutdown, the screen just comes up with the old windows 95 special "It is now safe to turn off your computer" and doesn't power off. I've seen this happen with older machines (older than the V350) but I thought it very unusual that it powered down when win98 was installed on it but now it doesn't. Has anyone any ideas on how to get the machine to power down fully without having to press the power button?

Cheers,

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Check your BIOS and make sure that ACPI is enabled (though I'm not sure if this is changeable on a Dell). If you installed Win2k with ACPI disabled i think you're shagged ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Stephen is correct - this is BIOS dependent.

Check with Dell if there is a BIOS update. Following that, you may need to perform an 'in place' upgrade to apply the new ACPI settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Thanks for the info lads, I updated the BIOS to the lastest version, but no change in behaviour. Can you tell me exactly what settings to look for and change in the BIOS?

Cheers,

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

"Advanced Power Management"

It can be listed unser "Power" or "ACPI" or "APM" or something similar. Take a look around for it and you should find it. Enable ti and your sorted.

I know it was turned off on one of my 2k boxes but i never got around to turning it back on until last night. It was litsted under "APM" on that systems Bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Great, I'll take a look...cheers!

DC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement