Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reconnect my eircom mail

• 23-06-2004 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

How do I go about reconnecting my eircom dialup mail after installing EsatBT Broadband? I had a dialup connection beforehand and my settings were all lost after I connected up to bradband. I love the broadband but is there any way of connecting to my eircom mailbox with it?

All help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can "reconnect" your eircom mail, i.e. receive it, but you can't send it from Outlook Express the normal way. There are ways of sending mail from your eircom.net account, so post up if you want to know.

Set up a new account in OE, and for your Incoming (POP) server, put mail1.eircom.net and for your outgoing (SMTP) server, put 127.0.0.1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

If you have EsatBT BB then ask them if they have an SMTP server that does not require authentication. I use an eircom POP account with Netsource and had to set the SMTP server to Netsource's one.

LD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

Hi
    I had the same situation,so I called the eircom tech line:confused:
    All was so easy!

go into OE click on tools-accounts-properties-servers

incoming pop3= (in the box)mail2.eircom.net
    outgoing mail=(in the box)mail2.eircom.net

the next boxes down should have

a/c name(your name)
    password-This is the password initially used to set up the eircom account.

I hope this works for you.And I didnt leave anything out!
    I have esat for BB and ph calls but still use eircom for my email.

Good luck:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I tried that and it didn't work. Eircom told me that DSL is viewed the same as dialup in terms of connections. So they will not allow you to SMTP to one of their servers from a non-eircom connection. That's why I had to use the Netsource server for outgoing.

LD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If you use IOLBB then your smtp server will be smtp.iol.ie or mail.iol.ie

You can leave all your other settings alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭IrishPug106GTi

Thanks for the info I am going to give tylerdylan's suggestion a go first to see how it goes. I will post the results here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Tylerdylan is wrong where the outgoing mail is concerned. the setting should be as
    PaulW states.

The outgoing mail always has to be the setting of the ISP you are using as far as I can see.

What happens is when you look for mail the mail programme will search for the mail no matter who the provider is and find it via the settings you insert but you have to send mail via the ISP you are connected to - therefore the iol setting is needed!

I have the settings in the boxes just like I said.
    I have no problems at all getting my mail.
    I am on esat bb and even have them for the calls.
    I only pay eircom for the line rental.
    When I got the bb set up i called the eircom tech and the guy flew through
    the settings.less than a minute.I dont use any mail address w/ Iol.
    So there must be a way to get it done easily.I just looked at my settings an copied
    to the msg.So lets wait and C if he will be able to get it going this way;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by dub45
    Tylerdylan is wrong where the outgoing mail is concerned. the setting should be as
    PaulW states.

The outgoing mail always has to be the setting of the ISP you are using as far as I can see.

Tylerdylan is not wrong, he is actually authenticating with the Eircon smtp server.It will allow you to use it if you pass it a Login & Password.

P.S. I use the old esatclear smtp server still with my non Esat ISP.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by carbsy
    Tylerdylan is not wrong, he is actually authenticating with the Eircon smtp server.It will allow you to use it if you pass it a Login & Password.

P.S. I use the old esatclear smtp server still with my non Esat ISP.

Apologies to Tylerdylan! i was passing on what I was told when I was trying to do a similar thing.

Will all ISP's allow access this way?

• Advertisement

Apologies most graceiously accepted:D

P.S I am a Girl;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭IrishPug106GTi

Tylerdylan:

Thank you for your advice, my eircom email is now active through my EsatBT broadband connection. Your advice was spot on. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

:) Drinks on dub45! muahahaha :D

You are very welcome
    Delighted it worked for u!
    :D

Advertisement