Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating pressue dropped to 0

• 23-06-2004 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Pressure on gas heating has dropped to 0 ,should be 2ishi think so when on the rads only heat up a little.

Anyone know what needs to be done to fix it?

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

I take it you mean the water pressure?

If so, we also had the same issue with our gas boiler and I mentioned it to the guy came to service it recently. Basically, he said that in order to put the pressure back in the system someone had to go into the attic and do a thingymajig with the pipes up there while someone stood at the boiler and watched the pressure rise to 2. Then they would give a shout and the guy in the attic would stop doing the thingymajig.

Because we weren't having any drop in the performance of the rads I didn't pay too much attention to what the thingymajig the guy in the attic needs to do, but essentially he puts the pressure back into the system somehow.

If your boiler is fed from the tank in the attic and the bathroom taps (the ones fed from the tank) have a good flow then normally the boiler shouldn't have a problem. Did you recently bleed any rads as I think this can take a lot of pressure out of the system?

I'm not a plumber and the above is essentially 3rd party information, so if you are worried then I suggest you contact a qualified plumber.

viking

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Kdjac--Is it gas pressure youre talking about?If it is take the cover off the boiler,theres usually a red plastic screw type knob that can be turned to the right.Theres a guage for gas pressure so just keep turning the knob SLIGHTLY until the pressure is 1.5 psi which is what gas pressure should be.

How do I know this?
    Mine broke down a few Christamases ago with a similar problem couldnt get a repair man out so I decided to DIY it.And it worked.Never broke down again.
    Hope this helps

Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its the water pressure its attached to the inlet pipe, upstairs taps have dropped also.

heating breaks , 40 foot fukkin tree lands in garden, no job + bad week :(

Oh i wonder how worse it gonna get by friday.
    kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

you need to locate the cold feed to the system, open it until pressure reaches 1.5 bar (cold). then close.

If you do not close the cold feed you will blow the safety valve and drain the system.

If its a modern gas boiler, it may not operate due to insufficient water pressure.

I would also recommend that you investigate the cause of the pressure drop, it may be a leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Turned it on and off and it works now :confused:
    Amd the council took away the tree , got offered a job said no but did the lotto could be a lucky day :D

thanks for replies.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Could it be that the tree damaged your water main? Can I suggest you boil all drinking water / use bottled for the moment?

You should hopefully be able to trace the main from the stop cock on the footpath.

Advertisement