Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend binoculars please!

Options
  • 23-06-2004 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hi folks

Can anyone recommend a good set of binoculars for a beginner's use, and a reliable merchant that provides value for money? Looking to buy a sturdy tripod also, total budget €150 probably, maybe more if recommended.

I've seen from previous posts that the A&S shop is not highly praised.

The idea is to see how interested I am in the subject in order to gauge whether or not it would be worthwhile shelling out for a scope. I assume that binoculars would be used mainly for the moon and near planets - would I be able to see any deep-sky objects at all, given clear skies and a location in suburban Dublin?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

'NightWatch' - Terence Dickson has a great section on entry level binoculars & scopes, if you can get your hands on a copy of it. I've used a pair of 10*50 binoculars, pretty impressive for lunar gazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Originally posted by PunyHuman
    Hi folks

Can anyone recommend a good set of binoculars for a beginner's use, and a reliable merchant that provides value for money? Looking to buy a sturdy tripod also, total budget €150 probably, maybe more if recommended.

I've seen from previous posts that the A&S shop is not highly praised.

The idea is to see how interested I am in the subject in order to gauge whether or not it would be worthwhile shelling out for a scope. I assume that binoculars would be used mainly for the moon and near planets - would I be able to see any deep-sky objects at all, given clear skies and a location in suburban Dublin?

Thanks.

Hello Puny Human... (like the name!)

you could go for almost any size binoculars you want, it does just boil down to how much you want to spend.
    I will give you this advice. For a cheap pair of binoculars at excellent quality, try and get a pair of Optus 8-24 X 50's. They were on sale in Aldi not long ago, so it should not be too long before they are back. Lidl had a similar pair, but most people I know who got a pair did say the lenses are a tad hazy. each cost less than €30!
    I have a pair of the Aldi Optus ones, and I am very impressed. They are truly worth it.

Also, as an experienced astronomer, I can say that if you want to get the binoculars to test your ability as a future astronomer and see if you have an interest, then you may be a little disappointed. There are certain visible deep sky objects away from the Solar System that can be seen in these bino's, but you will always get a clearer and bigger picture in e.g. a 3" to 4" refractor telescope.

On a final note, I don't think any telescope is a waste of money - maybe invest just a little more money in a small scope instead of the binoculars!

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

Thanks for the replies,

Seanie, maybe I'll take your advice and get a small refractor. I just don't know how much I'd be able to see from here; I'm pretty close to the city centre (Rathmines area) and I don't have a car (or thermal underwear for that matter).

Thanks again

~T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Originally posted by Seanie M
    Also, as an experienced astronomer, I can say that if you want to get the binoculars to test your ability as a future astronomer and see if you have an interest, then you may be a little disappointed. There are certain visible deep sky objects away from the Solar System that can be seen in these bino's, but you will always get a clearer and bigger picture in e.g. a 3" to 4" refractor telescope.

On a final note, I don't think any telescope is a waste of money - maybe invest just a little more money in a small scope instead of the binoculars!

I'd say stick with a decent pair of binoculars to start, and a book of what you can realisticly expect to see. Especially if you are new to the hobby, since if you find its not for you you can always find other uses for binoculars and tripod.

Before getting a scope get in touch with a local astronomy club to get a peek through the various types and see what you want to invest in.

Sturdy tripod, decent pair of 7x50's to 10x50's, binocular clamp for tripod, binocular observing book, planisphere, should cost under EUR200. Best bet is to contact a few astronomy suppliers in the UK (and andromedaoptics and North down telescopes here) and get them to give you a price for a bundle like that, they should be able to give a discount.

For the record I used a pair of old 7x50's for years before finally splashing out on a 10" scope a couple of years ago.

Cheers,
    ~Al

Advertisement