Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless - advice sought

• 23-06-2004 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

I had the benefit of a local wirless broadband system for sometime up to recently through Irishwan. The service was at times intermittent but when it was working it was excellent, fast and convenient and of course free, though I had offered to pay for the service. I appreciated having it but about four months ago the connection ceased to be available to me due to technical reasons I believe. Despite several contact attempts to have the connection restored I am still without it. I am in the dark as to why and am left with my Eircom phoneline at 32 Kbps which is a complete waste of time. Can anyone help me or advise me as what to do or maybe give some idea of what alternatives presently are available or would be in the near future?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by mountgarrett
    Can anyone help me or advise me as what to do or maybe give some idea of what alternatives presently are available or would be in the near future?
    That would pretty much depend on where you live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

As someone who has been using a broadband connection for quite some time, I know how frustrating it can be to have it and lose it again. It is painful to go back to dialup.
    Let us know what area of the country you are in. It would be interesting to see.
    As far as I was aware, IrishWan is constantly growing so it's hard to see why you don't have service anymore.
    I would say that based on my impression of IrishWan, it seems that if you aren't acting as a 'relay' on the network and really participating in the tech side of things, you may not get service.
    I have often wondered where Joe Public stands with regard to this actually. After watching the video of the conference, I am still confused about what IrishWan is doing. Is it just a network for the enthusiast with the possibility of some internet bandwidth on it, or is it trying to get loads of people on board providing a service to the average punter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you think it's hardware related, offer to pay for new hardware. That'll get someone's attention. Whatever way you phrase the offer, make sure you don't tie yourself in to paying 500+ for the best of the best equipment :p (Even though that is still cheaper than getting your own internet).

Just remember, this is a non-profit organisation, and as until now, you were enjoying free broadband, do your best to repay the favor.

If you know what nde you were connected to, try posting on the irishwan forums. (is it www.irishwan.org?).

Advertisement