Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hot Chocolate

• 23-06-2004 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

I want to get some good Hot Chocolate in sachets or tins. I don't wish to go somewhere for a cup of it if you get what I mean.

What brands make the best ones ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Best hot chocolate is probably if you get decent chocolate milk and heat that :)

Failing that, the Cadburys hot choc in a big tin is good, if you make it with milk, nice and thick/creamy. You add a few teaspoons to milk, mix it, heat it in a cup in the microwave, stir, heat a bit more and you're done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭accensi0n

nah man, you heat the milk in the microwave first and then you add the hot chocolate!
    And then stir it like a mad man so that it becomes frothy.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Lazy way
    Aldi instant hot chocolate, hot water, stir, drink!
    Tastes ok

Tasty way
    One teaspoonful Fry's Cocoa powder or Cadburys in cup / bowl add a smal drop of cold water and whisk until creamy (very important because it will be grainy otherwise). Add hot milk or water for a lighter taste deeeeelicious :D
    To be really warming add a spoonful of dark rum or two:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Actually, Hershey's Chocolate Syrup mixed around in warm water is nice, too. But I always, always, always go for Cadbury's Drinking Chocolate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

like the Galaxy in the single sachets nom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

The best way to make Cadbury's Hot Chocolate:

Heat milk in a pot, add powder and mix with one of those handheld blender thingies... Creates a nice, slightly foamy texture. Pour into mug and sprinkle some powder on top...

I can't stand water-based hot chocolate :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

For extra guilt factor try a 80:20 (or more) mix of cream and milk. I like the flavoured chocolate milk mixes from Cadburys, Especially the mint one. Yummm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

Cadburys is good if you're into sweet things, otherwise green and blacks all the way man. Works well with coffee also.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Green and Blacks organic hot chocolate is the daddy. If you've ever tasted their chocolate you'll know why.

The only problem is that it doesn't form a solution as well as the Cadburys stuff but you get a more subtle drink then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

Green and blacks ?, dunno that one. Is it available in Tescos etc ?.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I've found it in health food shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

IMHO, the best hot choc is made from actual chocolate (and I mean REAL chocolate, not your Cadbury's vegetable oil muck). I once had a tin of hot choc from a Godiva shop in Belgium - it was basically a mixture of dark, milk and white chocolate flakes, presumably the ends from their normal production. There was no making this in a microwave, had to be heated on the hob, mixing till the flakes melted.

It was......... gwaaaahhhhhhhhhh..........

Don't see why you couldn't get some decent quality chicilate and mimic that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

ArthurG,
    what I do is, get a mug of milk and heat it in the microwave, stir a Cadburys Flake into it until melted! yum! :)
    for that minty tase keep some After Eights handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Heres a tip from the Naked chef for all those who like frothy coffee/hot chocolate...

Boil you milk and pour it into an emtpy platic milk container. Screw the lid back on and cover with a towel incase you get a leak (and 3rd degree burns will ensue). Shake like a madman for about 1 min then pour into a cup. I swear to god it tastes lovely.

Advertisement