Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beastie Boys CD - Virus?

Options
  • 23-06-2004 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

According to The Register, the new Beastie Boys CD installs a virus (malware, really) which prevents you from ripping CDs on your machine. It uses autorun on PC, and autoplay on the MAC.

A step too far?

Can anyone who bought the CD confirm this? (look at autorun.inf on the CD)

- Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

A step too far indeed.

Scratch that one off my 'to buy' list. That's €20 of my money now not going to Capitol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Would this be the same protection that was cunningly defeated by someone by holding down the 'shift' button on a Windows PC as he inserted the CD? :)

It doesn't appear to be on UK and US releases of the cd, however, as a point of principle, EMI gets veto'd from any future CD purchase by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Bought the CD at lunch time.

Must be true, it won't let me rip cds anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Time Man

I got mine from CDwow and it has the protection, it installs a player on your pc to play it. Ripped it fine with Audio Cat, it couldn't get the tracks from CDDB though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Originally posted by Sico
    Would this be the same protection that was cunningly defeated by someone by holding down the 'shift' button on a Windows PC as he inserted the CD? :)

hahaha....who was it who did it before and they tried to sue someone for telling people to hold down shift.....hahahahaha

the beatsie boys though... c'mon..... when will the madness end

/edit still gonna buy it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

From a stickie on the "official" B-boys bulletin board...

http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=20219

davej
    ian
    Administrator Join Date: Apr 2003

The skinny on the copy protection

Just to clarify, here's the deal with the copy protection on the CD:

a) The copy protection is in all territories except the US and UK -- US and UK discs do not have this protection on them;

b) All EMI CDs are treated this way, TT5B isn't protected in any special way;

c) Beastie Boys would have preferred not to have the copy protection, but weren't allowed to go against EMI policy in these territories.

There ya go.

ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I bought it lucky its not on mine or i woukld have brought it back i cant stand copyright protection and refuse to buy a cd that has it maybe ill boycott the label as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

Well, you should have autorun disabled anyway, it does nothing good.

I am presuming that this is one of these cds that has protected, uncopyable music files on em to allow them to play on PC's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

kazaa_logo2704031.jpg

Like Ma Bell I got the ill communication...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Zanza

wow, thats.. big. Simply big!

I am feeling that there will be a war soon. Most of the artists will do the same. Either that or no one will buy any CDs at all! heh.

Anyway, I don't play my CDs in my computer, just the CD player most of the time. The virus doesn't effect the CD player no? (Just overly suspecious :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Time Man

There is no virus, it doesn't affect your ability to rip cd's

Read the posts, "Beastie Boys would have preferred not to have the copy protection, but weren't allowed to go against EMI policy in these territories" - the software isn't on the UK and US editions of the CD, but they have put it on CD's from other regions.

It's only a matter of time before they start to do it here. For shame EMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Meh. I was going to buy that album, but i don't do DRM. Shame.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

surely your Anti Virus software would treat this as dodgy and give a warning?

hard to tell. is it a "virus" as such? I guess it is up to the virus scannage companies to decide whether to identify it as destructive. I would be all for that, but I think that they could get into a lot of trouble with the RIAA/record publisher should they choose to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Did not the Chili Peppers Greatest Hits CD have something similar?

Hrmm....hope this doesnt get too widespread. I don't know why they do this anyway, if people want to rip to mp3, they still will. True, idiotproof software like iTunes and the like isnt going to do it for them, but advanced users have advanced tools, and they will always win - even if they have to resort to recording it in an analogue fashion. The quality is still better than that which comes out the other end of most audio compression codecs anyway.

Then, once it is on the computers, it pops onto the internet. The masses download it anyway. So what is happening here? All that is being achieved is that those who actually buy the CD's cannot listen to it with as much freedom. Freeloaders still continue as usual.

It's on the Velvet Revolver CD too - read this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Vlad Drac

The new cd is great though :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by f®eak s©enery
    www.copyprotectionsucks.co.uk

As pointed out on the above, this kind of thing just pisses off people whom actual buy CDs.

Advertisement