Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 Imation DVD+R for 36.99

• 23-06-2004 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

Just bought a spindle of 25 Imation DVD+Rs for EUR 36.99 in Argos. The cheapest I've ever gotten them for anyway!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

If you have a credit card, you might want to try shopping online for blank discs. You could save quite a lot. Places like Blank Disc Shop are quite cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Which factory are they made in? (Use a CD identifier tool to determine factory code)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Originally posted by DMT
    Which factory are they made in? (Use a CD identifier tool to determine factory code)

Why does this matter?

if you check out dvd media codes here, you can see that some discs are better than others. Some work with some dvd players, others dont. Some degrade faster than others. Its all about quality.

If you get a program called dvd-info you can see what media code your discs are and then check it on that site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

I'm in work at the minute but I'll check that out when I get home this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

blank disc shop is great. I got 25 dvd-r's for £6 and 50 cdr's for £5.50 there. Only problem is postage is £11 but it'snext day and I got my discs with a friend so it wasn't too bad.

Originally posted by IgnatiusJRiley
    Why does this matter?
    Some factories like Ricoh and Taiyo Yuden are superior to other.

For instance I got some Memorex DVD+Rs (factory code: MBIPG101R03) two weeks ago. Anything burned beyond 3GB won't play in my DVD player, whereas my Sony DVD+RW's made in the Ricoh factory work great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

i got unbranded ones in a spindal(25) DVD-R 4X for 18e in a place up in tallaght....they do the job for me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I dont know about factory numbers, media codes and the like
    but here are some prices that I dont think can easily be beaten:

Pricestorm

Bulkpaq or Datawrite
    25 DVD-R Spindle £7.49 (around 11 euro)

INCLUDING POSTAGE

I purchased the orange Bulkpaq DVD-R spindle last month.

Got my printer working again thanks to pricestorm.com - bought two inkrite catridges totally only 10 euro (free shipping), saving me 50 euro on what the epson ones would have cost.

• Advertisement

Pricestorm also have Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-Rs - they get good comments at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php

Some of them are made by Taiyo Yuden which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I buy my dvds off pricestorm all the time...

25 dvd+r's for 15 euros & free shipping. Where can you beat that?
    They're called Mirror & I've NEVER had trouble with them, excellent quality & plays in most dvdplayers

Click Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

i got those mirror dvd+ from pricestorm ages ago, out of 25 discs, only 2 work. I have a hp dvd 303c writer and these are the only discs i have ever had trouble with. maybe it was just a bad lot. I got some discs from pcn.ie at a good price. There better than the compustore prices anyways,

Originally posted by elvis2002
    i got those mirror dvd+ from pricestorm ages ago, out of 25 discs, only 2 work. I have a hp dvd 303c writer and these are the only discs i have ever had trouble with. maybe it was just a bad lot. I got some discs from pcn.ie at a good price. There better than the compustore prices anyways,
    Mirror DVD+Rs have a bad rep at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,051 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Datasafe 4x with Ritek G04 dye on Pricestorm are a superb disc.£10.99
    A cheaper disc but good too is the Datawrite DVD-R 4.7Gb Red Version 3 4x speed for £7.69
    I've burnt over 100 of each and never had a prob.
    If you enter this code :FNN0404 you get a 10% discount off everything.
    Nice eh ?

I have used the orange bulkpaq DVDs and out
    of 25, ALL dvds burnt flawlessly. : )

7.49 (11 euro) on pricestorm

Not sure about the "mirror" products though...

BlankDiscShop offer a 240 disc carry case for £3.75 with their discs though. You can choose it when you select what discs you are buying.

Very cheap - anyone got one of these before?

The only thing that puts me off ordering more regularly from them is the delivery charge - £11 sterling. Bit of a rip-off.

That price storm looks good though, delivery included. The biggest folder they have though is 32 discs.

Can anyone recommend a cheap disc carry case (over a hundred discs) thats say under €20?

If i was to order 75 Datasafe Ritek G04 Dye DVD-R 4.7Gb 4x Speed from pricestorm, it would cost me approx €45.

Ordering 75 Datasafe Ritek A Grade (4x) DVD-R Disc from blankdiscshop and a 240 disc folder works out at around €66.

Thats €21 for a 240 disc folder then. Can i do any better than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

You should check out:
    www.pcn.ie/special_offer.asp

Blank DVDs from ONLY 38 cents ea.

I believe they are in Kilmainham(?).

Originally posted by degsie
    You should check out:
    www.pcn.ie/special_offer.asp

Blank DVDs from ONLY 38 cents ea.

I believe they are in Kilmainham(?).
    Again, most of them probably made in crap factories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

Thanks for the tip on price storm, I was paying way over the odds for DVD-Rs, then bulk bought 100 unbranded DVDs from another site for approx 50Eur plus had to pay postage, none of them work, 80% of DVD is fine then skips all over the place.

....anyone want 100 unused coasters !!!

I've ordered 25 Bulkpaq Orange discs from Price Storm for 7.99GBP will report back on the quality.

Great tip if the media is fine, and the free postage makes it very attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Its worth paying the extra euro or so for DVD +RW. If there is an error in the transfer, you can just erase and start again. No more coasters;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Boro

The only thing that puts me off ordering more regularly from them is the delivery charge - £11 sterling. Bit of a rip-off.

Not really, I ordered 100's of discs along with a few other small items (pens, wallets, envelopes, spindles, etc) and still got charged £11. To me, that's cheap.

For bulk orders, I haven't seen a site that can come close to beating blankdiscshop.

Originally posted by freetoair

I've ordered 25 Bulkpaq Orange discs from Price Storm for 7.99GBP will report back on the quality.

Great tip if the media is fine, and the free postage makes it very attractive. [/B]

No need, I have already said that all 25 worked perfectly.(for me on NEC 2500a) ;)

I hate having to buy in bulk in order to justify the delivery cost.

I think if all sites integrated the delivery cost into their prices,
    then I would buy much more stuff from the net.
    Maybe thats just me,.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by freetoair
    Thanks for the tip on price storm, I was paying way over the odds for DVD-Rs, then bulk bought 100 unbranded DVDs from another site for approx 50Eur plus had to pay postage, none of them work, 80% of DVD is fine then skips all over the place.

....anyone want 100 unused coasters !!!

Great tip if the media is fine, and the free postage makes it very attractive.

I have had mixed results with Bulkpaq printable disks on my Pioneer 106.

I'll take those unbranded disks off your hands if you don't want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Best thing to do is to have a look at a review for your burner and find which media brand tested best with it.......... including cheap brands.

try www.cdfreaks.com for some great reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by 10000maniacs
    Its worth paying the extra euro or so for DVD +RW. If there is an error in the transfer, you can just erase and start again. No more coasters;)

I find +RW disks dont last very long - they seem not to play after only a few months.
    I would never trust them for stuff I wanted to keep.

Also I have to say "Mirror" Brand +R disks are truely awful. I bought 50 DVD+R (4 speed) disks really cheap and they just will not work at all (fail to verify after burning) even at 2 speed writing. I've tried them on two burners (both NEC1100A).

Cheapest +R Disks I've found are: (burner cannot deal with -R)

Fairyhouse Market (Sundays Fairyhouse Racecourse) - 75 Euros for 100 DVD+R disks. RICOH brand.
    Thats 75c each for DVD+R :) and no postage.
    They said the have packets of 25 disks sometimes - dont know price.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Boro
    BlankDiscShop offer a 240 disc carry case for £3.75 with their discs though. You can choose it when you select what discs you are buying.

Very cheap - anyone got one of these before?

Yes, I do, the 240 disc carry case are excellent.

BTW Datasafe discs are excellent. Don't get caught buying cheap discs, they might burn, but will they still work in a year from now?

Originally posted by ozmo
    I find +RW disks dont last very long - they seem not to play after only a few months.
    I would never trust them for stuff I wanted to keep.

Also I have to say "Mirror" Brand +R disks are truely awful. I bought 50 DVD+R (4 speed) disks really cheap and they just will not work at all (fail to verify after burning) even at 2 speed writing. I've tried them on two burners (both NEC1100A).

Cheapest +R Disks I've found are: (burner cannot deal with -R)

Fairyhouse Market (Sundays Fairyhouse Racecourse) - 75 Euros for 100 DVD+R disks. RICOH brand.
    Thats 75c each for DVD+R :) and no postage.
    They said the have packets of 25 disks sometimes - dont know price.

Man you have been ripped off unless they are very high quality.

you could get 75 dvds off pricestorm for 35 euro
    including delivery.

Originally posted by Shiny
    Man you have been ripped off unless they are very high quality.

you could get 75 dvds off pricestorm for 35 euro
    including delivery.
    I'm willing to spend €15 for 10 Verbatim DVD-Rs because I know they'll be good quality and probably made in Taiyo Yuden's factory.

€75 for 100 RICOH made (assuming they're not just RICOH branded) DVD+Rs sounds like good value to me...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DMT
    I'm willing to spend €15 for 10 Verbatim DVD-Rs because I know they'll be good quality and probably made in Taiyo Yuden's factory.

€75 for 100 RICOH made (assuming they're not just RICOH branded) DVD+Rs sounds like good value to me...

hence:
    unless they are very high quality

I made sure to include that part as I knew you were going to jump
    in and remind me.:)

Those disks (bulkpaq) will keep me ticking over until dual layer media becomes affordable.
    I actually might get a "blue ray" drive when they come out for a very large
    backup, but the "paper" disk thing freaks me out.:eek:

I'm going to do some research on the quality of disks since you
    always highlight its importance in each of these dvd price threads.

I'm going to try and find out where the bulkpak/datawrite disks are produced
    and will find out whether my data will be alive a couple of years from now.

Advertisement