Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 Imation DVD+R for 36.99

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I got Orange bulkpaq dvd-r's from blank disc shop last week and they're fscking awful! Literally every other one gets turned into a coaster, with loads of media errors! :(

Having said that, I've burnt about 20 of them that I bought from another shop a few months ago and 90% of them were fine. :-(
    I think I might stick with Imation, never had a problem with them, even if they are more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 flop71

A mate of mine bought 50 orange bulkpaqs recently from peats, i took one spindle of 25 he the other 25. I noticed that on 19 of the 25 discs, I had manufacturing errors with the dye,( i couldn't burn past 100mb) of course he lost the receipt so i couldn't bring them back.

A bad batch to be sure, but i have burned one coaster so far with the remaining 6 discs. So i'll be giving these a wide birth, until i'm convinced to do so otherwise.

Flop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

Received the 25 Bulkpaq Orange discs from Price Storm on Monday, funny, says that they're 4X but Nero only writes to them at 2X. Having said that, burned 4 DVDs last night and no problems at all. Watched one from start to finish and no skipping.
    Would recommend them, but from other postings it still appears that if you purchase inexpensive media its a bit hit and miss on whether the quality is guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by eth0_
    I got Orange bulkpaq dvd-r's from blank disc shop last week and they're fscking awful! Literally every other one gets turned into a coaster, with loads of media errors! :(

Having said that, I've burnt about 20 of them that I bought from another shop a few months ago and 90% of them were fine. :-(
    I think I might stick with Imation, never had a problem with them, even if they are more expensive.

eth0 make sure you use there no quibble money back garentee. I bought a bad batch of discs of em before and they arranged a currier to pick up the bad batch and drop off a good batch. Excellent customer service imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I'm using the same discs, bought from the same shop, and have had 0 coasters so far (and have had 50+ successes). Maybe I've just been lucky though? What burner are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Remember there's a big difference between getting a burned DVD to work in your burner and getting it to work in a DVD player. DVD players are more fussy than burners for reading...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Maybe we should have our own little sticky as regards our experiences with DVD media (& possibly CDR)

Where we could post the usual: brand, price, retailer, model of DVD burner, burn speed and maybe some information regarding standalone DVD players that the results were tested in ?

Dunno if 'bargain alerts' would be the best place for it, but I'm sure it would be useful in 'audio-video editing'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Originally posted by ozmo
    I find +RW disks dont last very long - they seem not to play after only a few months.
    I would never trust them for stuff I wanted to keep.
    :confused::confused: I have had a Philips DVD TV recorder for about 8 months, and a DVDR drive on my PC for 18 months. I have ripped about 50 DVD's from the video shop.
    In that time I have never had one DVD +RW to fail. Ozmo, maybe its your PC spec that causing your trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by 10000maniacs
    :confused::confused: I have had a Philips DVD TV recorder for about 8 months, and a DVDR drive on my PC for 18 months. I have ripped about 50 DVD's from the video shop.
    In that time I have never had one DVD +RW to fail. Ozmo, maybe its your PC spec that causing your trouble.

System is good. 3.2Ghz P4, 1G RAM, 250G Raid Array hardisk.
    NEC1100A burner is probably not so good anymore - I got it when they were just new out. Ordering a Pioner soon.

I was using it for hardisk backup.
    I have tried several DVR+RW. If theres a finger print on the disk and you burn it the laser destroys the disk. If you burn at too high a speed - disk is destroyed.
    And 3 of my disks ,with important data stuff - not video- on them - just failed to read after two months of being just filed away. I was lucky to locate a previous backup on other media. Just wouldnt trust +RW for long term storage of nonvideo anymore.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Originally posted by ozmo

Also I have to say "Mirror" Brand +R disks are truely awful. I bought 50 DVD+R (4 speed) disks really cheap and they just will not work at all (fail to verify after burning) even at 2 speed writing. I've tried them on two burners (both NEC1100A).

Well, I've bought 100 Mirror +R & everyone one of them has worked perfectly. I have a NEC-2100 burner and play them on a supervision (Lidl dvdplayer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I have considered buying a DVD burner and some blank DvD media for some time. After some consideration I've decided to go for the Pioneer 107 after good compatibility tests between that burner and various DVD media. However, I'm a little uncertain about what type of blank DVD media is best. AFAIK there is little in difference between the + and - standards (the major one simply being that they are incompatible), so this leaves me wondering what the difference would be between say an unbranded DVD- storage media and a branded one, perhaps with Ritec dye.

If anyone has some informative, objective links to help me determine what differences exist between different DVD media, I would appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 marksmithy

The Budget DVDs are excellent but make sure they have a clear centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'd just like to warn people off Bulkpaq dvd-r's. I got a spindle of 25 of them from Blankdiscshop last month, and about 10 of them were coasters, giving errors when burning. Of those that *did* burn ok, gave errors when used. Pieces of crap.

I think I might go back to brands like Imation, at least you know they aren't going to fsck up on you :(

I'd just like to warn people off Bulkpaq dvd-r's. I got a spindle of 25 of them from Blankdiscshop last month, and about 10 of them were coasters, giving errors when burning. Of those that *did* burn ok, gave errors when used. Pieces of crap.

I think I might go back to brands like Imation, at least you know they aren't going to fsck up on you :(

On the flip side, I got a spindle of the bulkpaq inkjet printable ones (8.99stg delivered) about two weeks ago from pricestorm and they're working a treat.
    Working fine on DVD-ROM drives and TV DVD players ( I have my mates test them on their equipment too)

They also take print very well too, fast drying.
    DVD +/-R: MSI 8x
    Media: bulkpaq inkjet printable (4x)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Dr. Dre
    They also take print very well too, fast drying.
    Off topic, but what kind of printer is capable of printing on CDs?

This baby!Epson R300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Bulkpaq printables have worked great for me.
    DMT - I see in another thread that Epson R200 is going for €75 in PC World. Its the same as the R300 but without the status monitor and built in card reader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

for anyone considering buying dvd media, I recommend to go for datasafe dvd-r's. With them and my Pioneer 106, I have had no coasters with about 40 burns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

Well I've just burned the last of my 25 Orange bulkpaq dvd-r's from Pricestorm, all of them were perfect, not a single coaster!!!
    The only thing annoying me at the moment is that my order for more of them is backordered for the past two weeks, looks like pricestorm are slow at replenishing stock!

Advertisement