Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal MP3 download prevention

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

While i don't agree 100% with his method of solving his problem (i would have used limiting), i have to admit, it was pretty ingenious.

Congrats on the successful prank :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Originally posted by zoro
    I've enjoyed myself immensly, and I'm glad that so many others enjoyed my little story too :D

youre going to spend the rest of your life suspicious of every legal letter you get in the post, because years from now youre little sister will realise how easily she was made the fool of and she will get her own back :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Hehe :) Don't say you didnt like it :p

Mutant: I'm looking at that already, but iptables just kept f*cking me over so I needed a quick fix :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

any chance you could scan & save the letter as a PDF or something? I'd like to put "The MP3 prank" on my website (with your copyright approval of course)...

Rymus: No problem what soever :) I'll grab the letter and envelope today and scan them for you when I get a chance!

I know that this thread will eventually be discovered by some of her friends, as she's currently telling EVERYONE she has ever known about the letter, but it'll be worth it :D

• Advertisement

*bump* a little update here - she's posted a thread on the boards of her favourite boyband telling everyone about it! :D

They're all sh*tting themselves!!! :D:D:D

My what tangled webs we weave eh? :D

*edit* but they all seem to think that if they don't use MSN to transfer the files then they won't get caught out ... hmm, maybe I was too specific with my letter...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

zoro, you really should be careful about how far this spreads.

You could be arrested for fraud for impersonating another person or group.

I know of a person who received a letter from his county council, informing him that he had to cut down a tree in his garden. He contacted the council and discovered that it never came from them. The council contacted the gardai, who unsurprisingly tracked it back to his neighbour, who was then charged by the gardai.

zoro, you really should be careful about how far this spreads.You could be arrested for fraud for impersonating another person or group.
    I have thought about this already - and although it may be naieve of me, I'd imagine that the fact that I put the sh*ts up a hell of a lot of teenagers that were actively sharing copyrighted music with each other, and have since stopped, then they may not be so strict.

That said, you are right, but I'm not all that worried that this would be traced back to me. I would have no problem with owning up to it in person if it caused a lot of grief for the IMRO. But to be honest, I think this prank has done more good than harm for them :)

Thanks for your post though - it has been noted, and taken seriously.

Zoro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

Very entertaining, very evil.

I think you'd get a pat on the back from the RIAA for reducing illegal downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

very entertaining ......now if i can think of a way to stop my wife buying crap with a letter like that ill be a rich man....:D

• Advertisement

do you want me to work on a letter? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by zoro
    Rymus: No problem what soever :) I'll grab the letter and envelope today and scan them for you when I get a chance!

I know that this thread will eventually be discovered by some of her friends, as she's currently telling EVERYONE she has ever known about the letter, but it'll be worth it :D

any chance of posting it here, or providing a link to where Rymus has it...?

when I get the details and have the thing up on my site I'll provide a link.

Well if you're impatient, the letter is in the very first post of this thread :) I never got a chance to get the letter this morning, and I won't be home tonight, so I'll do it all tomorrow afternoon if you dont mind waiting!

no bother at all.. I'm not impatient.. it's not like I'm working to a deadline or anything :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭istep

Pure class ....zoro take a bow :cool:

*bow* :)

I'll have that letter tomorrow :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Always tomorrow Dan, huh? :p

Just joking. Already told you this is pure evil and legend but it's worth reiterating! Hehe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ha, what a scam :P Myself and another guy sent a letter to another guy's parents telling him he was suspended from the school. We typed it on the offical school paper with the header etc and exactly the font they use etc. They killed him, mother was crying and all so we had to tell them it was us: thought it was really funny :P

- Sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

suppose thats one way to do it. Me I yank the cable and put in my headphones, their lungs tire eventually.

"THE INTERNETS BROKEN" "busy, go away"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

oldposts.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

You know...if I was Zoro's sister. I would look up the letter on the internet to check if other people got anything similar it. This post would be what I find........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

/golfclap the almost 1.5 year old post /bump.

Advertisement