Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import charges

• 23-06-2004 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if there is anyway to accurately predict if youre gonna get nailed with these charges when importing?and how much....
    im gettting $60 worth of clothes and then $25 shipping on top of that.anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Time Man

I dont think there is, maybe it depends on the shipper. I got stuff from tshirts.com and I got a bill fro duty from fed ex who delivered it. This was January, I lost the first bill and they haven't sent another one to me yet. But I got stuff from Victorias Secret a number of times and no duty to be paid on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

thats great.its from abercrombie.hopefully i dont get nabbed for a big bill.thanks

If they do nab you they charge you duty on the shipping cost too as it's a service. Greedy pr1cks. It's sometimes handy if you know someone in the states, ship it to them and then get them to cut off all labels, crumple them up, and ship them with a letter saying they are sending on the clothes you left behind on your holidays
    Originally posted by besty
    thats great.its from abercrombie.hopefully i dont get nabbed for a big bill.thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

very crafty.theres noone i can think of that i could pull that scam with tho.think i might just take a gamble and go for it...thanks for the help tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

What they are charging is VAT at 21% and they do charge it on clothes but I think its pot luck as to whether they notice it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

You will get stung with abercrombie, expect a bill from fedex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Jorinn
    You will get stung with abercrombie, expect a bill from fedex.

But how exactly do you order stuff? I've tried registering on the site, but they won't allow non-American addresses.

[EDIT] I just tried it again, and they seem to have updated the site to allow for international addresses[/EDIT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sorry for hijacking the thread but i'm thinking of importing a guitar from the states worth $1,699.99 will i have to pay customs?

could i get it sent to my bro in boston and get him to send it to me as a present and hence try to beat the customs?

I don't know what the outcome will be but like I said, I didnt pay the fed ex bill and 6 months later they still haven't sent another. Fingers crossed.

I did the same with Esat for my No Limits for a 6 month bill. After numerous letters and calls I recieved one debt collection letter and then it all stopped.

Originally posted by Time Man
    I don't know what the outcome will be but like I said, I didnt pay the fed ex bill and 6 months later they still haven't sent another. Fingers crossed.

I did the same with Esat for my No Limits for a 6 month bill. After numerous letters and calls I recieved one debt collection letter and then it all stopped.

Doesn't the FedEx delivery company in Ireland (SDS?) just withold the goods until the balance is paid in full? I know GLS sends out postcards saying that the goods have arrived and that there is money owed that has to be paid before delivery.

The Esat BT No Limits thing - won't that adversely affect your credit rating? If they sent out a debt collector, then they must have it on file someplace? Could cause hassle in the future even if it is just for a few hundred.

• Advertisement

Fed Ex deliver their own packages here. I heard nothing about the charges until a month after I received the package. The ESAT thing won't affect my credit rating, it's just one of those bullsh1 scare tactics, I have a dude looking into whether I'm still on file as they got a whole new billing system in Esat. I've had two credit checks done on me this year and both were fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

see this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167893
    There's a link to a revenue.ie document that will answer all.

DIzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

sorry for hijacking the thread but i'm thinking of importing a guitar from the states worth $1,699.99 will i have to pay customs?
    ....you'd get screwed, it would be cheaper to fly over, buy it and carry it back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

afaik

guitar import charges

3.7% import duty and then 21% VAT

if you get snaged for them its about 300e

Fly return to USA is about 600e

would it be better getting it sent to my brother in boston and getting him to UPS it out and mark it as a gift? (a very expensive gift i know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

he could mark is as a gift , and lower the value of it , but if it got lost in the post u would only be able to claim what it was registered for , if he put down a gift and $1700 u would get stung with tax regardless

hmmm i think i'll just save up and pay the tax then, because it's about 1700euros including customs so i'd rather pay that than having the risk of UPS losing it or something.

i might also wait to see if he's coming home for christmas (i know it's a long time away but still)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

u getting much of a saving on it? , ie instead of getting it here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    would it be better getting it sent to my brother in boston and getting him to UPS it out and mark it as a gift? (a very expensive gift i know)
    No, you are importing something, you have to pay the tax.

It would be different if say you were moving country and bringing personal belongings, but this is patently not the case. You just want to evade tax.

yup it's a stupid tax though ain't it.

i can't find any european shops that sell it though as if i could then i just pay the countries VAT level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

check out musicstorekoeln.de or thomann.de - both are in germany and are usually cheaper that anything you will find in Ireland. Also cus its in the eu, there is no import duty,etc

If your getting for the US, definetly mark the full price on it, in case anything goes wrong. Dont try marking it as a gift - a gift is only excempt if its under e45 afaik. The best way to get around it is to get someone to bring the guitar home for you - if it is shipped, you will prob get charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

I just got 3000 euro worth of camera gear from the states and was delivered through, global express mail...usps to gls couriers and I didn't pay a cent in cutoms duty or vat...you can get away with the charges in most cases if you order over 350 euro worth of goods as they are not checked by the german customs (packages are delivered to germany from the states to be distributed by GLS to there designated country), put in a container to be delivered to Ireland, better chance of getting away with custom charges....and also any packages under 350euro will be checked by german customs and u will be charged at 13.5% as opposed to the 21 or 22% here in Ireland...thats my 2 cents...over the moon that I got away with paying duty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,095 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Where does the 13.5% come from?

I don't think Germand VAT is 13.5%...

aye i'm gonna wait to see if my brother is coming home for christmas.

as for the web shops from germany they have a good range of guitars but not the one i'm looking for :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

the import duty for germany is 13.5%, thats why alot of electronics and camera gear is alot cheaper from german websites...just a word a of note, just heard GLSIreland are laying of people so there service which was bad is going to get worse...

Originally posted by heffsarmy
    the import duty for germany is 13.5%, thats why alot of electronics and camera gear is alot cheaper from german websites...just a word a of note, just heard GLSIreland are laying of people so there service which was bad is going to get worse...

There are loads of threads about this... basically it depends on what depot your deliveries come from - Dublin = Poor service, Knock = Average-Good service. The delivery person also has an impact. Personally, I think GLS are great and I'd use them before DHL or most other couriers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I ordred 2 skateboards and some clothing from the states......20 days gone and nothing arrived yet....tried phoning GLS but no answer ffs.....do you think i'll have to pay duties on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    I ordred 2 skateboards and some clothing from the states......20 days gone and nothing arrived yet....tried phoning GLS but no answer ffs.....do you think i'll have to pay duties on that?
    Try contacting the website and say you are "disappointed with the speed of service" ;) Might get you something.

Yes you will have to pay VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

is it 21% vat, i don't have to pay german tax too surely?

Advertisement