Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olsen Twin - Eating Disorder

• 23-06-2004 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

Looks like they both need treatment by the looks of that pic.

Illness casts doubt on Olsens' visit
    June 24, 2004

Twins Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen

A visit to Melbourne on Tuesday by the Olsen twins seems unlikely to go ahead after one of them was admitted to hospital, reportedly with an eating disorder.

The 18-year-olds, Mary-Kate and Ashley are the queens of teen glamour. They had been scheduled to appear in Melbourne at the Australian premiere of their first feature film.

But their publicist said yesterday that Mary-Kate was in hospital. It was widely reported that she is suffering from anorexia.

"Mary-Kate Olsen recently entered a treatment facility to seek professional help for a health-related issue," publicist Michael Pagnotta said.

"She is thankful for the encouragement and support of her friends and family who are with her every step of the way."

A spokesman for Roadshow Films, which will distribute the twins' film New York Minute, said he was unsure if they would come to Melbourne.

Earlier, US magazines and tabloid newspapers reported Mary-Kate was suffering from an eating disorder.

The pair, who have maintained a mostly wholesome image, started out in US television sitcom Full House at nine months of age, and went on to build a billion-dollar empire that includes clothing, movies, television shows, videos and books.

The twins each boast a personal fortune estimated at $215 million, while their company, Dualstar Entertainment, last year grossed more than $1.4 billion in global retail sales.

The twins took control of their empire on their 18th birthday, making them some of the most powerful women in entertainment.

Pic: http://members.boards.ie/daveydevil/twins.JPG

Comments

Poor girls. That is actually really sad. They do look a unhealthily thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

With all that money id say they could beat it. Even their will power id say should beat it. i mean why die from anorexia when youve all that money to spend!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Portable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Time Man

Didnt work for the carpenters singer why should it work for her? I blame the parents myself
    Originally posted by Only Human
    With all that money id say they could beat it. Even their will power id say should beat it. i mean why die from anorexia when youve all that money to spend!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

The pale one in that picture reminds me of et for some reasion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Why must some women not eat? Don't they know it's dangerous to be eating so little?
    It's so sad to see them like this, really it is. Thought they'd be smart enough to eat properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

you think with all there money they could buy as few big mac's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

A pair of little Calista Flockhart wannabe's. Damn that Hollywood and it's effect on youngsters. Damn it to hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I <3 skinny girls

Originally posted by Kold
    I <3 skinny girls
    Yes we all do, but not stick anorexic skinny. There's a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

oh my, they look awful in that pic, poor things. Hope they get well. A couple of years out of the limelight is what they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Demeant0r
    Why must some women not eat? Don't they know it's dangerous to be eating so little?
    It's so sad to see them like this, really it is. Thought they'd be smart enough to eat properly.

What a f*cking ludicrous statement. Anorexia/bulimia are psychological illnesses. Would you say to someone with bipolar disorder "Do you not think it's a bit dangerous to be a nut case?".

As for being "smart enough to eat properly", the majority of anorexics are of average or above average intelligence and come from middle and upper class backgrounds. Anorexia has nothing to do with your levels of intelligence; "stupid" people are no more or less susceptible to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

exactly what i was going to post eth0_
    some ppl are so ignorant

FFS Why do you need to call him ignorant? I mean indepth knowledge of Anorexia isn't common knowledge. To be honest, it's psychological but it isn't hereditary. It is due to issues with self image, if you ask me, that comes down to mental fortitude.

Originally posted by Kold
    FFS Why do you need to call him ignorant?

Look up 'ignorant' in the dictionary.
    The guy said because the girls are smart, it's odd that they have anorexia. It was ignorant of him to imply that only less intelligent people have anorexia, when he obviously has no experience of the disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Wasn't Mary Kate in hospital because she was in a car crash? As well? Her bodygard crashed into her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

Anorexia is NOTHING to do with the intelligence of the individual person.... it's a mental disorder that makes people (not just females) think that they are over weight, hence they keep on slimming until they make themselves really unwell and in some cases needing hospital treatment to help them get back to even a healthy weight.

Not a nice state of affairs and certainly having extremely skinny women on magazines etc doesn't help matters cos youngsters adolise these people and want to follow in their footsteps - wanting to be like their hero's.

I feel sorry for Mary-Kate, I also think a while out of the limelight would maybe do both girls a bit of good though, it would at least allow them to get better without having the press constantly in their faces and annoying them all the time. Let's face it, it's not as if they're going to go broke because they don't show their faces on TV for a while.

Originally posted by eth0_
    What a f*cking ludicrous statement. Anorexia/bulimia are psychological illnesses. Would you say to someone with bipolar disorder "Do you not think it's a bit dangerous to be a nut case?".
    That's not a good comparison, you can control your eating habits, but you can't control a bipolar disorder.
    As for being "smart enough to eat properly", the majority of anorexics are of average or above average intelligence and come from middle and upper class backgrounds. Anorexia has nothing to do with your levels of intelligence; "stupid" people are no more or less susceptible to it.
    Well, I used the wrong word. Substitute "smart" for "wise"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

sad state of affairs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭blobert

They really look quite scary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Originally posted by littleninja

Not a nice state of affairs and certainly having extremely skinny women on magazines etc doesn't help matters cos youngsters adolise these people and want to follow in their footsteps - wanting to be like their hero's.

How stupid do you think young people are? Oh, there is someone who looks unhealthily skinny, so I will go on a diet and be like them. Someone was young a very long time ago. Teenagers today are much more likely to become anorexic/bulimic because someone they know constantly calls them fat, then from seeing skinny rich people. Magazines today also constantly emphise (can't spell) how important it is to be happy with your size. Teenagers today are more independant, with a lot of their eduation based on teaching them how to think for themselves. We are less shallow then people take us for, and I'm sorry for ranting.
    Poor Mary Kate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

yeap all the pressure nowa days to be skinny or your not popular is getting to teens heads poor girls

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How could one of the Olsen Twins come to the conclusion that she wasn't popular?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Mary Kate Olsen

That picture was apparently taken just a month ago at some celeb party.... She looks frightfully ill...

Eating disorders are so awful..... I feel very sad for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Good sweet jesus, I "Know" someone that looks the exact same as her.....

/me runs away.

IT'S TOO FREAKY!

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

so tragic. most men would like nothing more than to see them swallowing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

he he

John

Originally posted by embee
    Mary Kate Olsen

That picture was apparently taken just a month ago at some celeb party.... She looks frightfully ill...

I actually don't think she looks sick in that photo - they've always been thin and I know lots of girls who are super skinny and eat normally, and have been that way their whole lives.

Originally posted by Demeant0r
    That's not a good comparison, you can control your eating habits, but you can't control a bipolar disorder.

You can control bipolar disorder with drugs, there are no such drugs to treat anorexia and bulimia. Unless you count anti-depressants, perhaps, but they only treat the symptoms and not the cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

kid_choice05.jpg

kid_choice87.jpg

kid_choice59.jpg

0_0

christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Originally posted by eth0_
    I actually don't think she looks sick in that photo - they've always been thin and I know lots of girls who are super skinny and eat normally, and have been that way their whole lives.

Aye, tis true - I eat whatever I want and never put on weight and it really pisses me off when people assume I must be on some freak diet.

Besides, in one photo it was the blonde one who looked really skinny, in another it was the brown-haired one. Surely they're not both anorexic or do they swap hair colours from time to time?

Still wouldn't say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Tbh, they're wearing clothes that don't suit them. Even though they're 18, they look much younger and so, those "sexy" dresses they're wearing look a bit creepy. I can't blame them for wanting to get rid of their angelic image but they really should get a better stylist.

23.jpg

theres a comparison

Originally posted by TimAy

0_0

christ.

I still don't think she looks thin to the degree of anorexia in that photo - and they do seem to be very short, not much over 5 foot by the looks of things

• Advertisement

that first ones pretty bad in comparison to what they looked like

Advertisement