Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who's protesting Bush this weekend ?

• 23-06-2004 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

(I'm posting this in After Hours as I think its a topical subject not just a specifically Political subject)

So is anyone going to be protesting when the American President arrives ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

I most certainly will not be!
    If anyone is considering such an onanistic priggish activitiy, be advised that there may be riots. I know an ambulance driver in the Civil Defence who is on standby during the weekend in case some do start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

no i won't be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

will most likely attend the march in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

I think it is disgrasefull that you can not welcome him or at least sit down and shut up if you have something against him. The war on Iraq was justified, he saved hundreds of thousands of people from Saddam's regime. I dont see what people have against Bush, he did nothing to Ireland. I think Irish protesters should mind their own buisness Iraq was nothing to do with Ireland. The Majortiy of people in Iraq are happy that America removed Saddam! and becides by protesting you are degrading the friendship between America and Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I'm not sure how peaceful demonstration could be considered arrogant or masturbatory.

Your friend in the civil defence is on call because there will be large crowds, you'll note that they are present at concerts too. There's no reason to think that there'll be riots, there were none at the large anti war rally in Dublin before the war in Iraq.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Only Human
    I dont see what people have against Bush, he did nothing to Ireland. I think Irish protesters should mind their own buisness Iraq was nothing to do with Ireland.

If you don't see, then do some reading about it. Irish protestors are protesting Ireland's part in the war against Iraq by the USA's use of Shannon airport.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I will try to make it, I'm opposed to the visit, but generally dont protest, however, I may well go to this one

oh, and as for Irish people keeping their nose out of it, as lodgepole pointed out, people are protesting against shannon, and just because his war hasnt directly effected Ireland, that doesnt mean we cant have and voice an opinion about it (I will be really annoyed to see any muppet using this as a chance to have the riot they never got on May Day, its important people opposed to this march dont get to say 'theyre all yobs anyway')

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

I think it is disgrasefull that you can not welcome him or at least sit down and shut up...

Troll!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

I think it is disgrasefull that you can not welcome him or at least sit down and shut up if you have something against him. The war on Iraq was justified, he saved hundreds of thousands of people from Saddam's regime. I dont see what people have against Bush, he did nothing to Ireland. I think Irish protesters should mind their own buisness Iraq was nothing to do with Ireland. The Majortiy of people in Iraq are happy that America removed Saddam! and becides by protesting you are degrading the friendship between America and Ireland.

I agree! The ONLY thing that will be accomplished by these protests is degrading the friendship between us and the US!

I meant priggish as in self-righteous. And it's masturbatory because it's a self-indulgent display of self-righteousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I think Irish protesters should mind their own buisness Iraq was nothing to do with Ireland.

I won't be protesting, but going by your own statement, doesn't that mean the US should have stayed out of Iraq as it was nothing to do with them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

personally..I couldn't be bothered..but I am looking forward to a wonderful enthusiastic bush speech (hope we get one)
    A trip to Ireland could do him the world of good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

well i actually live in the ****hole he is visiting and i can tell you noone here wants him to come.....and its not about ireland== just because he hasnt as of yet totally destroyed our country doesnt mean he isnt worth protesting about.

THE WORST CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY IS APATHY
    IGNORING THINGS WONT MAKE THEM GO AWAY.

WHAT ABOUT GUANTANAMO BAY?? AL GHRAIB PRISON?? TAINTED BALLOTS IN FLORIDA?? he may be against islamic fundamentalists but he is himself fundamentalist CHRISTIAN.different religion same thing==

TWO OUT OF 3 AMERICAN SOLDIERS GO THROUGH SHANNON TO IRAQ--INCLUDING THOSE WHO TORTURED PRISONERS.

where do you come from??
    DIOGENES:i come from nowhere, i am a CITIZEN OF THE WORLD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Why the HELL should my tax euros go towards an operation where we are taking none other then a security risk in to the state.Bush has antagonised just about everyone, and as such is an unjustifyable guest.

To those who say, that this only serves to degrade the relationship between Ireland and the Us, I say Hogwash, both are democratic countrys with freedom of speech and as such the opinions of politics are irrelivant.What matters in relations is policy.

Also given that this is election year, It is somewhat a consideration that this is none other then a cynical move to coddle the Irish amerian vote.Given this nations history and links with the us, we have every right to let our american cousins know the damage that bush has done to their international reputation.The us had no reputation for torture before bush.

"tà mè ìspìni"-Bush Ireland 2004

Originally posted by MrNuked
    I agree! The ONLY thing that will be accomplished by these protests is degrading the friendship between us and the US!

Nonsense. It may damage our government's relationship with the current US administration and to be honest I hope it does. But damaging the friendship between the US and Ireland? Won't happen.
    I meant priggish as in self-righteous. And it's masturbatory because it's a self-indulgent display of self-righteousness.

I don't agree with that last statement. While it is probably true of some of those who will protest, it is certainly not true of the majority. And even if us genuine protestors were in the minority, our dissenting voices would still be relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

Originally posted by Lodgepole
    Your friend in the civil defence is on call because there will be large crowds, you'll note that they are present at concerts too. There's no reason to think that there'll be riots, there were none at the large anti war rally in Dublin before the war in Iraq.

If the reason was that there was going to be large crowds then he would be there, not just on call. I'm in a similar voluntary medical organisation myself and the only time I have been on call as opposed to actually being at the place was when there was trouble expected. (ie. mayday in dublin)

Back on topic I'll be in any Dublin protests/marches but any outside I can't be there (much as I'd like to). One of the many drawbacks of not having my own transport. I'll be there in spirit though.
    I'm not gonna go too deep into why I'm opposed etc. but I'll just say I'm damn opposed, Damn! Damn! Damn! opposed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

Originally posted by Ajnag
    Why the HELL should my tax euros go towards an operation where we are taking none other then a security risk in to the state.Bush has antagonised just about everyone, and as such is an unjustifyable guest.

We are taking Bush into the state for an EU-US summit, he's not here on an official Irish visit. Seeing as how we have received millions of pounds/euro from the EU over the last 15 years I think it's fair enough that we pay for this one EU-US summit taking place during our presidency.

Also given that this is election year, It is somewhat a consideration that this is none other then a cynical move to coddle the Irish amerian vote.Given this nations history and links with the us, we have every right to let our american cousins know the damage that bush has done to their international reputation.The us had no reputation for torture before bush.

Do you think Irish Americans are retareded?
    Then why do you think that seeing their President visiting Ireland will automatically garner their votes. I'm sure economic, war, health, etc.. issues will have more bearing on their vote.
    Never mind that the only pictures/video they'll see of him will be with other world leaders. The images will look the same as any other major political event as he won't be out meeting Irish people.

At the end of the day, (officialy) refusing to welcome George Bush would be an huge insult to the U.S. and there would definately be ecomonic reprocusions(?) for us.
    Even France welcomed him a week ago and they had a much bigger falling out over the war in Iraq.

Originally posted by munkeehaven

TWO OUT OF 3 AMERICAN SOLDIERS GO THROUGH SHANNON TO IRAQ--INCLUDING THOSE WHO TORTURED PRISONERS.

Does That Make a Diffrence? Would they not have tortured those prisoners had they gone via somwhere else, and becides when they were on Irish Soil they handt tortured anyone? The Russians fly in and out of Shannon with their massive Anternovs every single day of the week and they along with America back in the a little thing called the Cold War nearly Destroyed all of Mankind! And There is no problem with them

no it wouldnt but the fact that they do makes the disgust that much more real..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by keu
    "tà mè ìspìni"-Bush Ireland 2004

sausage? it's been a while since I've done Irish, and I've done another language since...

• Advertisement

ich bin ein berliner.-jfk

I'd just like to say that I have no problem with Bush visiting Ireland, even with Irish money being used for his protection while he's here. As long as I can attend or organise a peaceful demonstration in my own country in protest of his actions, both past and present.

Much more tax payers money has gone to waste on other less publicised less important things, for instance when I was doing work experience with the Air Corps we were told that they spent just under (IRL) £12,000 on a carpet for the waiting room that all the Poloticians wait in before jumping on the Government jet. President McAleese got hilicopter transport to get to a place that was a 20 minute walk from the 'úras an úchtarán' Each time the helicopter is launched it sets the tax payers back a coule of thousand euro(the second time she wanted elicopter Transport to the same place they told her to f€ck off). Any way the point is at least Bush's trip here is for a reason( it might not be as important as other things but its not a waste of time) Where as money has gone to waste on bigger more un-nessesary things. another Un-nessessary thing is that bloody spire!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

if bush gets assinated here do you think america will invade ireland? they had less reason to invade iraq. and the IRA have more connections with al-qaeda than iraq did....probably :)

btw i will not be protesting as i don't like crowds

/runs back into bunker and locks airtight door

If bush was assinated in Ireland wouldnt it make the Protesters happy that he was dead? After all its not America their p1ssed off at its their Government! Sure the FBI and the CIA and maybe the army would be around for a few days but thats all exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

If bush was assinated in Ireland wouldnt it make the Protesters happy that he was dead? After all its not America their p1ssed off at its their Government! Sure the FBI and the CIA and maybe the army would be around for a few days but thats all exciting!

yeah but if he was killed by an irish guy or IRA head would they not want revenge. thats what started Afghanistan. the american people wanted to pound someone for attacking them so bush went to Afghanistan. i know most of the people in ireland wouldn't care if he was gone but someone would just replace him, i don't actually believe that all these wars and what not are just his idea and will disappear if he does.

The Diffrence between Ireland and Afghanistan is that Ireland is a stable country, Afghanistan was not, If anything an assination from the IRA would lead to an Investigation from one of the American Security Agencys, and would probably lead to America being more involved in Irish Politicts!

From a completely impersonal point of view, no it wouldn't be a good thing and we wouldn't be glad. It would cause absolute ****ing havoc if he was to be assassinated, whether it be here or anywhere else.

That's ignoring the fact that he's a son, a husband and a father and I as little as I respect the man as a politician and a world leader, I wouldn't wish death on him. Anymore than i'd wish death on anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

Originally posted by Trebor
    yeah but if he was killed by an irish guy or IRA head would they not want revenge. thats what started Afghanistan. the american people wanted to pound someone for attacking them so bush went to Afghanistan

Most of the hijackers were from Saudi Arabia. The Al-Quaeda training camps were based in Afghanistan. So they woudn't attack Ireland, they'd liase with our security (like they have with the Saudis) to try and find the terrorists.
    The chances of an Irish person killing Bush are beyond remote anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

was reading this:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1512&ncid=1276&e=1&u=/afp/20040624/wl_afp/us_eu_ireland_nato

couple of interesting quotes:
    Dublin is seen as one of Washington's historic allies, and Ahern is believed to have a good relationship with Bush.
    and
    However, anti-American demonstrations were still expected in Irish capital, a rare sight there.
    any thoughts??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Ive got better things to doing instead of waisting my time protesting about another stupid Yank.
    As for the tax money paying for his security- Irish should not have to pay for that- if the yanks want him safe they can pay for it.
    They would be better off giving that money to people who actually need it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

^ I agree with Mac daddy

The protest is a waste of time, just causing hassle for commuters

CombatCow

any thoughts??

quote:
    However, anti-American demonstrations were still expected in Irish capital, a rare sight there.

jesus christ they dont have a F UCKING clue do they????? this just shows how bloody ignorant they are about the rest of the world, they just make this idyllic hallucination that ireland actually is backing them...its all because of bertie ahern and his bloody spinelessness.

christ so i am anti=american am i??? i just hate this uber-patriotism , its so f ucking blind. i suppose that if someone from another country thinks bertie ahern is a prick that they are anti-irish....what kind of f ucking logic do they have??? AAAGH this kind of thing frustrates me so much!! america is such a f ucking great country why do they have to do such stupid things.........its times like these my heart just cracks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    jesus christ they dont have a F UCKING clue do they????? this just shows how bloody ignorant they are about the rest of the world:( [/i]

Sure the think ireland is in england and it is covered in little green men drinking guiness all day- :) idiots

you just really have to think at these kind of times of the good things in that country because all the S HIT can just load up and blind your face.....micheal moore.... black rebel motorcycle club....curb your enthusiasm...san fransisco...hunter s.thompson.....smashing pumpkins....martin luther king.....edgar allen poe...

there are a lot of greats , its just sad that bloody redneck-christians have the run of the country.i miss bill clinton...he had his faults and of course was not squeaky clean, but at least he was elected with untainted votes and he is not a bloody pretentious, unintelligent gobsheen.......

brmc_002.gif

brmc_009.gif

nevermore.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

munkeehaven... what was the point in those bloody huge images?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Originally posted by Lodgepole
    From a completely impersonal point of view, no it wouldn't be a good thing and we wouldn't be glad. It would cause absolute ****ing havoc if he was to be assassinated, whether it be here or anywhere else.

Yeah, that would only make him a martyr - better he get booted out of office by the American people.

As for the protests, I'm not going - I hate crowds and if I wanted to bring Dubya down, I'd do it by writing and diffusing articles about his policies. I don't do that because there are plenty of other people doing that already. All the same, people have a right to protest in public and I think it's silly that others complain this will give the country a bad image. This is a democracy, after all, not a Bord Fáilte dictatorship!

i was trying to show the band black rebel.....but when i got them off the site they were tiny...oops:o :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Munkeehaven, if you must post images, could you not reduce their size first?

sorry...im crap with computers.....***goes red***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Only Human, you must be on some very strong medication...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

I will not protest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Originally posted by MrNuked
    . And it's masturbatory because it's a self-indulgent display of self-righteousness.

Hehe. It's not a good troll if masturbation doesn't get in there somewhere :p

Seriously though, he's destroyed America's reputation worldwide, he's destroying the environment, he's destabablised the middle east, he's invaded another country against the desires of other world leaders.

And I don't think the American people will mind too much, after all, they didn't elect him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

I will be smokin peace spliff

Originally posted by Exit
    I won't be protesting, but going by your own statement, doesn't that mean the US should have stayed out of Iraq as it was nothing to do with them?

Just saw that post now. At least America Did some good with Iraq. They Removed a Dictatorship. Protesters against Bush Do no good. If Ireland was attacked by a bunch of mad Terrorists, and there was a country that was a big threat to the attack happening again wouldnt you want to neutralise that threat? Wouldnt you want to help neutralise that threat? (refering to shannon, not joing the army)

Just saw that post now. At least America Did some good with Iraq.

you obviously dont read much between the lines do you???

Ive been following this thread since the start! i just missed that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Im probably going to be flamed for this but i dont really see the point in protesting bush's visit, i saw 2 guys down the town today putting up banners loudly proclaiming stop bush etc etc etc

I just thought to myself whats the bloody point, Bush is going to do whatever the hell he wants to do when ever he wants to do it, might sound like a defeatest attitude, I dont see it that way i see it as a realist attitude

You can protest away its your god given right to do so, but remember it aint gonna make a blind bit of difference

Shin

shinzon i salute you! Theyre probably just doing it for attention. God Damn Hippys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i wont protest either

what will it achieve?

• Advertisement
Advertisement