Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who's protesting Bush this weekend ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

GAWD if every other person in history had the same APATHY as ye do what the hell would anyone achieve????........i suppose gandi, etc thought the same thing fuc k it im only one person ...jeez no wonder the world is the way it is...everyone is too bloody lazy to care

APATHY IS THE DRUG OF THE NATION

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Wheres the apathy?

1) It won't do any good? Comparisions to Ghandi are rubbish - lets not forget that he was fighting for the freedom of India, what are the protesters here fighting for? A day off work?

2)Its not a state visit, its a visit to Ireland in its capacity as the EU president. Are other countries planning on coming here to protest? None that I've heard of... So whats the beef?

3) Too lazy to care? What are you going to be doing? You'll be walking down a road, holding up traffic in a town that has enough problems by all this, shouting at a few Gardai who couldn't care less what you say to them, and probably going off to get stoned or drunk by the end of the day. Great achievement lads, keep up the good work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Originally posted by shinzon
    I just thought to myself whats the bloody point, Bush is going to do whatever the hell he wants to do when ever he wants to do it, might sound like a defeatest attitude, I dont see it that way i see it as a realist attitude

You can protest away its your god given right to do so, but remember it aint gonna make a blind bit of difference

Probably quite true. But i think we owe it to ourselves to make our point (if that is our point of view - if its not - fine). Dubya was the aggressor in this war. A war whose real victims were innocent people, men, women, children etc etc. He lied to everybody as to the reasons to go into war. I for one, do not want Americans to see Dubya getting a hearty welcome over here. It would be a nice message - look not only the weird scary franco-german euopeans don't like this guy, the nice shamrock wearing, leprechaun stroking irish europeans don't like him either.
    Originally posted by Only Human
    ...there was a country that was a big threat to the attack happening again wouldnt you want to neutralise that threat?

There was NO threat. None. No links, nothing. There is oil, and an old score from George Bush v1.0, but no terrorist links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

There was no links but that was not know at the time so it was still a threat. I dont think Ghandi would have cared much about Bush coming to Ireland. now on to more important things for me, how do you cook a beef? he he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

There was no links but that was not know at the time so it was still a threat.

That's fairly spurious reasoning. There was no evidence suggesting there were links. Surely the burden of evidence shuld be with the accuser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

I've never protested..but I will be out for my first one this fri in Parnell sq. at 7pm
    I only wish I had made it the 100,000 protest in dublin earlier this year (I think a little peice of history)

Note: I'm protesting against the Bush admin, shannon's use, Guantanamo(?) bay, and iraq war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lyonsy

i don't like him but i don't think anything he's done thus far was bad enough to merit the kind of mass demonstrations predicted, i mean he,s not hitler, he overthrew a real bastar d of a dictator wmd's or no wmd's, and probably saved many hundreds if not thousands of lives in doing so. i gurantee that most of the protestors there won't be there to protest against his wars or policies but those mayday protestor types venting anti americanism anti capitalism and anti globalisation.
    everyone's entitled to their view, but if the protestors get violent again i hope the gardai give them a good beating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by doodle_sketch
    what are the protesters here fighting for? A day off work?

and probably going off to get stoned or drunk by the end of the day.

It's on a friday evening and a saturday, so that would rule out a high percentage of people from looking for "a day off work". The suggestion is insulting to be quite honest.

As is the assumption that anybody who protests is a smoker or a drinker. Did you see any of the reports or witness first hand the large scale anti war in Iraq protest in Dublin? Of those 100,000 people, how many do you think were stoners?

It's time for people to forget about the bull**** stereotype of the crusty protester. Just because they're the loudest doesn't mean they're the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

I can't say I'm a big bush fan (other than being fascinated by his wonderful rhetoric), the guy holds the Irish with as much contempt as Rev. Paisley (he thinks we all scumbags and terrorists) but I would love to be a fly on the wall when he has afternoon tea with Bertie.
    A war whose real victims were innocent people, men, women, children etc etc.
    unfortunately these are the consequences of war, has there ever been one where the victims haven't been innocent?
    He lied to everybody as to the reasons to go into war.
    Ithink it's time to put the reasons for war behind us. Sometimes I wonder if he hadn't gone and garnered support for his "war against terrorism" would we be living in an Islamic governed country in ten years time. (that is if they didn't kill all us infidels first)

It's time to look to the future and the only way forward is by comming together as a whole, and comitting to a united force where decisions and policy making aren't left soley to what has been in the past a greater American force. American policy and American dictatorship.
    I won't be protesting because I reckon the rest of the member states will voice those opinions for me.
    ...and therefore I hope all those voices are heard (and listened to) at this summit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If Ireland was attacked by a bunch of mad Terrorists, and there was a country that was a big threat to the attack happening again wouldnt you want to neutralise that threat? Wouldnt you want to help neutralise that threat? (refering to shannon, not joing the army)
    Not sure what the middle part of your first sentence says but yeah sure, I'd be the first to drive to Shannon and try to ram some damned terrorist planes. Ramming hijacked planes that are actually on the tarmac is optional.

Do I pass the test?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I'm going to be there. Might be helping out as well.

I just don't want to it to go down in history that the irish people welcomed Bush. I could list the reasons that I'm protesting against him, but that's futile at any rate.

I belive his body guards got the right to shot [to kill] any irish person who they feel threathens the security of Dubya. I think it's hats off to Bertie for that. Another truimph for him eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by Jesjes
    I belive his body guards got the right to shot [to kill] any irish person who they feel threathens the security of Dubya. I think it's hats off to Bertie for that. Another truimph for him eh?

They didn't. They were (rightly) told to **** off with their diplomatic immunity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Glad to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

APATHY IS THE DRUG OF THE NATION

thats spamtastic munkeehaven

so protesting wont achieve anything, like i thought

ummm do you actually know what apathy means????==== im saying that if everybody bothered not do anything all of the time,, who the F UCK would achieve anything???......

• Advertisement

ummm do you actually know what apathy means????==== im saying that if everybody bothered not do anything all of the time,, who the F UCK would achieve anything???......

i know your type, your a joiner, you'll protest about any old crap, and not care what it will achieve

i recently watched penn and teller's new show, bullshjt. in this episode they sent around a girl with a clipboard at one of these lame greenpeace protests, asking them to sign a petition to ban hydrogen oxide, everyone signed it :rolleyes:

catch bullshjt on winamp tv, great show

ah yes of course you know me because of a few posts...well i suppose then i must make assumptions that you are just an ignorant buffoon...isnt this lovely??

a joiner!! ha if you knew me

ah yes of course you know me because of a few posts...well i suppose then i must make assumptions that you are just an ignorant buffoon...isnt this lovely??

i asked you what this protest will achieve, and you spammed on about apathy, avoiding the question

so, its not an assumption, you've managed to prove yourself as a joiner, someone with a big mouth about joining in, but clueless as to what they are trying to achieve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

He's only stopping off for a nap on his way to the NATO summit in Turkey anyway

http://national.snitch.com/2004/06/22/bush

Originally posted by munkeehaven

We'd be all so lazy that we wouldnt care were not achieving anythin. so whats the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Theres a bullet waiting for bush!!!

Originally posted by The Real B-man

OMG rofl. That line together with your avatar looks soo incredibly funny. you crazy Frog.

L3RIAN
    i asked you what this protest will achieve, and you spammed on about apathy, avoiding the question

so, its not an assumption, you've managed to prove yourself as a joiner, someone with a big mouth about joining in, but clueless as to what they are trying to achieve

WTF? well maybe i misread your post==i would like to protest because i disagree with his foregn policy, his hesitance to sign the kyoto agreement,the fact that he is in favour of the death penalty, is homophobic, lied about his military service, used tainted ballots to be voted, his ultra-patriotism,his ignorance of other countries views,coming over here knowing he is not wanted,IS THAT ENOUGH FOR YOU??

what shall a protest achieve ?? well lets see ..RECOGNITION,VERIFICATION,EXPOSURE,CO-OPERATION,LIE-SHATTER......

GOETHE== ein unnutz Leben ist ein fruher Tod : A useless life is an early death

no

only joking, everyone has a right to their own opinion. I supose when you put it like that it makes him look bad and i can see why you all hate him, but i cant disagree with him for invading Iraq and i still disagree with all the protesters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

in all fairness, without many of the protests, the general voice of the public wouldn't be heard. I would like to think the vehmenance displayed by other member states representatives (the people pleasers) has been someway influenced (and swayed) by the massive outcry voiced by protests.
    (take the result of the spanish general elections for example)

hope they get a could video clip of somone pulling a mooner or sumat to that degree at bush lol:D

Originally posted by The Real B-man

moo South_Park_3_-_BlackCow.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I hate protesters so much.
    They hold up traffic and most the time they're protesting something which it will obviously never change.

Not that I agree with Bush. Any man who gets Tommy Chong arrested is no friend of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

Originally posted by Jesjes
    I'm going to be there. Might be helping out as well.

I just don't want to it to go down in history that the irish people welcomed Bush. I could list the reasons that I'm protesting against him, but that's futile at any rate.

anti_war.jpg

that was done in galway. one of me mates ma was in it.

• Advertisement

Why did you quote me on it? Lol!!

I support anything that brave! Fair play to them!

Advertisement