Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World class defenders don't necessarily mean world class defences!!!

• 23-06-2004 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Just done a bit of research. Since Kerr took over Ireland have played 18 and have kept 10 clean sheets. I was looking at the FIFA website to see how many clean sheets the other 19 teams in the top 20 (and Switzerland) have in their last 18 matches.

Last 18:

Brazil - 7
    France - 13
    Spain - 8
    Mexico - 10
    Argentina - 9
    Holland - 7
    Turkey - 5
    Germany - 8
    USA - 9
    Italy - 10
    Czech Republic - 6
    Cameroon - 8
    England - 5
    Ireland - 10
    Denmark - 7
    Nigeria - 6
    Belgium - 5
    Sweden - 5
    Croatia - 9
    Portugal - 9
    Switzerland - 4

Ireland's clean sheets were against: Holland (a), Jamaica (a), Romania (h), Poland (a), Brazil (h), Canada (h), Georgia (h), Norway (h), Albania (a), Scotland (a).

Not bad. I doubt any team not on that list would have more than 10 clean sheets therefore only France have a better defensive record (if you can call it that) than Ireland since Kerr took over. Switzerland are poor.

Suprisingly O'Brien has our best individual record at centre back. He has played a total of 490 minutes (The equivelent of 5.4 matches) and only conceded 1 goal. Breen has the worst record, playing 10 and conceding 8 (Ireland have only conceded 12 in total). Cunningham and O'Brien have partnered each other for 3 full games and haven't conceded a goal.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Eight of those games were friendlies, not exactly the greatest test of a defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Also O'Brien as far as memory serves me played mainly in Friendlies no competitive matches.

Alot of the teams in the top 20 don't give a fiddlers about friendlies. They are there because they have consistantly qualified for tournaments. Until Ireland do the same stats like this are about as useful as pissing into the wind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Eight of those games were friendlies, not exactly the greatest test of a defence.
    I agree but from the list of teams we kept clean sheets against, Brazil are probably the only team that didn't put in the same amount of effort as we did.

I know competitive matches are the only games that should count but that doesn't take anything away from the title of the thread. I've just got too much time on my hands TBH.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Hmm thems interesting stats eirebhoy...but yer right, you do have too much time on yer hands. ;)

Advertisement