Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joystick/Gamepad help

Options
  • 23-06-2004 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭

I got a PS2 to USB converter. This job here
    Anyway, its acting a bit weird. It works ok in Vice city and in snes9x, but the other two games i tried it in, need for speed underground and gens.exe its acting odd. Its like up is being constantly pressed. This happens even when there is no controller plugged into it.
    My question is, is their any software out there that can tell me what's going on with it. Any utililites that show if buttons are being pressed?

Oh yeah, it works fine in games and video controllers in the control panels.
    Anybody want to throw their 2 cents at this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

In Need for speed is there not a center option?

Most games that req a gamepad (by req i mena its kinda meant for it). So any problems with gamepads cane be fixed in game.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I don't think there is, its ann odd thing. When i go to reasign keys in gens, they all just assign themselves. I'd say the converter is dodgy, but it works in some things, so, i don't know. What i'm guessing is that there is some signal being sent, but not from the ps2 pad, because it's all hunky dorey in the control panel.

I find with some emulators and games i have to edit ini and cfg files to make them work right.
    If its working in Control Panel it should be fine in game.

Most of the time its a not centred issue so the pad is always down.

Can you find any drivers newer ones for it?
    Or change it from HID to 8 button analog somfin.
    kdjac

I may be talking sh1te here, but i think the game pad is working fine. Its the USB converter thats not. I think its making some signal or something, thats not originating from the gamepad. The 'some button being pressed' thing happens with 0, 1 and 2 gamepads plugged in. So when i try to assign keys to something the game is picking up this erroneous signal and assigning functions to this 'phantom' button.
    I tried it on a different computer and i got basically the same results, but some how with a bit of fiddeling got it to work with NFS, but that was a fluke. I'd say its borked, and i should e-mail play or return it, but i'm just wondering if there is some program out there that could show me whats being received?
    Thanks for the suggestion thus far.

The button being pressed thing is cos one of the pads isnt centred, the USB converter if they showing up is working fine.

One of your PS pads may actually have a button pressed in or the nanlog sticks are a bit worn so droopy. My N64 pads went the same way. the analog stick drooped so had to centre it in Windows games a lot.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Well, they are not esactly centered, on a 100 * 100 axis it about 47,50. But it can vary, it doesn't always return to the exact same spot, but this is basically a brand new pad, i never really used it.
    But we also have the problem that 'the phantom button' thing happens when there is no pad plugged in. Oh well .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

My brother has the exact same problem with NFSU. He got the converter from play and an official ps2 joypad. The thing seems to send out wrong signals at times - when i played pro evo 3 with it, it was doing 'funny' stuff like as if i was pressing the wrong button or wiggling the dpad like mad. In NFSU it constantly goes down, without the pad even beng plugged in to the converter.

It doesnt seem to be a centering issue.

Hmmm, at least i'm not alone. I think i'll be returning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Did you try looking for newer drivers for it?

I use the Rockfire jobby, which never centres properly in control panel but works perfect in NFSU.

Dunno if it helps you any but mine used to cause problems with a few games (Vice City, Ford Racing 2, Nascar Thunder) but reinstalling WM9 sound codecs fixed it all up. Must've been a conflict somewhere(?).

Its hard to find drivers for it. The ones on the cd are fairly old if i remember, pre XP. Drivers probably would sort it, but i had no luck searching the other night. I'll try again tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

post up a link if you find em please?

Will do, i'll look later, going tro go far nap now, cycling in the wind has knackered me.
    I found that most manufacturers don't have software online, but just provide a driver disk.
    What i really want to find is some sort of debugging software thats telling whats been pressed and where its originating from.

Right, i tried the gens.cfg as i should have done awhile ago, and this is what i'm seeing.
    [Input]
    P1.Type=1
    P1.Up=200
    P1.Down=208
    P1.Left=203
    P1.Right=205
    P1.Start=79
    P1.A=75
    P1.B=81
    P1.C=75
    P1.Mode=75
    P1.X=75
    P1.Y=81
    P1.Z=75
    P1B.Type=0
    P1B.Up=4354
    P1B.Down=4354
    P1B.Left=4354
    P1B.Right=4354
    P1B.Start=4354
    P1B.A=4354
    P1B.B=4354
    P1B.C=4354
    P1B.Mode=0
    P1B.X=0
    P1B.Y=0
    P1B.Z=0

All those '4354's are whats being 'pressed' by the adaptor. I just set the P1.* to normal up,down,left,right,etc keys from the keyboard? Anyone able to shed anylight on that?

Advertisement