Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Norton anti virus not auto updating

• 23-06-2004 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Since moving to broadband 2 wks ago my norton antivirus2004 wont auto update ! I have 6 months to run so its not a billing problem. Is there a setting on norton to change accesss type from 56k to bb ? I have looked and looked, Any ideas anyone ? Thanks Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭knucks

I had no problems with this..... why don't you uninstall and reinstall? should sort it out!

k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭Gerry

This may not be the problem at all, but I'll post it anyway just in case.

Some viruses change your hosts file, this file is where your machine looks for the ip address for a hostname before sending a dns query.
    They add entries which redirect hosts such as virus update sites to localhost, so your update stops working.
    The file is in windows/system32/drivers/etc/ ( I think ) or just search for a file called "hosts". Remove all the entries which point to 127.0.0.1 except one for localhost. Programs such as spybot can help stop your hosts file getting messed with again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

By "I have 6 months to run" I assume that you mean your subscription has six months to go?

if you have Broadband try to download the latest defintion file exe from Symantec from here:

Symantec Definitons Page

This will get you up to date and you should then run a fulll scan to see if it is a virus which has knocked out your ability to update.

If it helps here is a screenshoot from my Liveupdate program from the Control Panel applet.

When I changed over to Broadband I didn't change anything it just picked it up automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

why is it not using your internet connection ?
    How you tried running a manual update ?
    Have you checked your event log for errors ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Originally posted by cerbeus
    If it helps here is a screenshoot from my Liveupdate program from the Control Panel applet.

When I changed over to Broadband I didn't change anything it just picked it up automatically.

You need to allow it to use your internet Connection Settings as Amen said, from the screen shot it is not set to use anything!

sorry mickeyboymel but the screenshot is from my pc which is updating properly.

It's MarinoMark who is having the trouble. I just posted the image to try and help.

I advised him to try downloading the definitions manually from the site and running them so that he could scan his machine to see if it is a virus that is disabling the updating ability of his AV product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

My mistake,sorry.

I always use the manual LiveUpdate as I had problems with the auto in the past,plus its one less process running on an already heavy Norton load.

There is an automated checking facility on the Symantec website that runs a diagnostic on all your Norton Products also. https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/activedata/asa_product_detection.jsp?ref=sup4

I was using an older version of Live Update quite happily and unaware that there was a newer version available,and live update had not picked up on this fact,however the diagnostic tool recommended updating.

mickeyboymel no problem.

Never knew you could check your symantec products online before. Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

Sorry for delay in writing as I was away. Anyway I went to the virus defs page you linked and Bingo ! All up to date agian, Thanks to you and all others who took time to reply, Mark.

• Advertisement

Glad to help. Did you run a scan to see if there was a virus.... (just curious)

Still doesn't resolve your ongoing problem but a good way of keeping up to date if all else fails.

I use this page where there is a new virus as they are a bit slow in updating the site used by the LiveUpdate option.

Advertisement