Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Manager & Ad remover

Options
  • 24-06-2004 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hey all,

Was looking for the best place to post this but there doesnt seem to be a software section.

Looking for a good reliable (preferably no spyware, ads) download manager. Was looking at DAP 7, i have used 5 before but has anybody any ideas what 7 is like? Is it worth downloading??

Also while looking came across the gozilla ad buster. This seems like a pretty cool idea - I had used it for Firefox but never realised (never thought to look) for an IE equivalent Is this worth using or anyone know any other similar software maybe freeware :D

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Get Download Manager extension for firefox ,very cool extension can pause live downloads :eek:
    http://dmextension.mozdev.org/
    Kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I use flashget ( http://www.amazesoft.com/ ) For downloads and its good apart form the ad in the top right hand corner.

I also use ad-aware ( www.lavalsoft.com ) for removing ad-ware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

I used to use getright which is very good, but i've switched over to FLASHGET aswell. The dropzone thing is very handy, and you can set the default type of files to be selected when dragging a whole page say onto it. You can also set up filters in it to move certain files to certain folders. Then has the usual segment and resume stuff, and referers, batch downloads.

Oh and as for the banner ads on it, i think if you get the new spybot search and destroy it removes the ads in it :D I just have a big grey bit at the top now.

The download Manager extension doesn't resume if you disconnect or shut down your pc, i don't think? I know you can pause while your connected to the net but i think thats about it. If your using firefox you should check out the download status bar . Shows the status of downloads in the status bar, very handy.

DAP is dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Yeh I think your right about Firefox - thats why I kinda stopped using it. 0.8 anyway wont allow you to disconnect without killing all your downloads in progress. Ideally want something i can continue downloading on a new connection.

I'm gonna have a look at flashget now & spybot to remove the ads :D I already have lavasoft installed - its really good for removing ads and spyware but i was looking for something that actually removes annoying gifs and banners from webpages - it sounds like Spybot might do the job

*goes googling* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

spybot will only get rid of some ads on installed apps. If you want to get rid of ads on webpages you should try getting http://adblock.mozdev.org/ for Firefox, and a good list for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

yeh i discovered that once i downloaded spybot - still worth doing though - had 19 issues on my PC :confused:

Yeh I have used adblock - really like it - thought there may be an IE equivalent. Gozilla ad muncher is the only think i can find though

Advertisement