Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal file sharing, caught

• 24-06-2004 2:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Has anyone in Ireland actually received a warning, or more serious, from their ISP or a recording association for sharing illegal mp3s/divxs etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yup,

The isps receive e-mails from various organisations telling them what client the user was using eg e-mule what films/mp3s/software was being shared eg Shrek,what time and the Ip address.

The Isp then has to inform the customer to stop as it is a breach of their terms and agreement and the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

yea thats the theory Moonbeam, but i cant imagine it actually happening

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It does:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i'll will never be stopped.

does no one here use DC++, its the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

As far as I know only Kazaa and its variations are actively targeted(for music anyway) - You should be safe enough for the moment if you use one of the less well known ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

yea stick to dc++ or irc. It would be farely difficult to track the millions of users and thousands of terabytes on these anyway:cool: :cool: :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Originally posted by dogz
    yea stick to dc++ or irc. It would be farely difficult to track the millions of users and thousands of terabytes on these anyway:cool: :cool: :ninja:
    I believe that there are more people on kazaa/fastrack than on IRC and DC++, and they still have no trouble "tracking" people"

And just to put something straight, they don't really "track" people at all, they jump onto a bit torrent/file (such as shrek2) and just write down each IP address that they see also connected to the torrent/file. So easy, and guarenteed to catch ONLY offenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Originally posted by Moonbeam
    Yup,

The isps receive e-mails from various organisations telling them what client the user was using eg e-mule what films/mp3s/software was being shared eg Shrek,what time and the Ip address.

The Isp then has to inform the customer to stop as it is a breach of their terms and agreement and the law.

Yes, ISP's receive the emails but usually Irish ISP's usually tell them there is nohting they can do about it. The reason being is that when they "track you" via Kaaza, they use a means of "hacking" that as a European user, they are not allowed to use & it constitues "hacking" which is an offense. The U.S. Law the way the D.M.A. is written with it's subsequent adjunct acts allows them to carry this out & seek prosecutions in the U.S.A..

It doesn't apply here as our laws are quite slow to catch up... so should you receive a prosecution, have the method used to "track" you disclosed, & the case will get thrown out as you can't break laws to catch/convict.

Little chance of getting prosecuted for it here but you are breaching your terms and conditions with ur isp and if this keeps happening they may disconnct you.

Your ISP won't disconnect you for it ....... they are not being pro-active about this, nor will they until Irish/European laws in relation to this change, & they are forced to.... so share & download away....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

hey who the hell uses kazaa anyway, bit torrent, now can u get caught using that ?

Originally posted by Placebo
    hey who the hell uses kazaa anyway, bit torrent, now can u get caught using that ?

not true. Irc is beter for films/ unusual apps. and dc++ is better for anything obscure.

Mutant think about the amount of irc servers, than think about the number of channels on each server then think about how long irc has been going for. Not that hard to believe there are more users on irc than kazaa.
    BTW how do i change to port 2000 to get back onto paddyland and be op again;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

As Mutant_Fruit said, there are ways to view all the incoming and outgoing connections to every torrent you download. Some Bittorent programs don't show these but others (like Azureus), do. Very simple for them to view who's downloading.

one of the reasons i rarely use btorrent and the fact im a leecher except on dc++

Originally posted by TheSilverSurfer
    Yes, ISP's receive the emails but usually Irish ISP's usually tell them there is nohting they can do about it. The reason being is that when they "track you" via Kaaza, they use a means of "hacking" that as a European user
    <snip>

Ill bite..
    At the risk of flaming you, I have never heard so much rubbish in my life.

All they need is your ip address after connecting to you when ur sharing files.
    When ur downloading in kazaa (or any other p2p prog) Go to your start menu -> run and put cmd the box.
    type netstat in the command prompt and hit enter.
    there will be a list of ppl u are connected too. Its that easy.

Not that its happened yet, but they would then get a court order from the ISP forcing them to reveal the person who was using the ip address at the time.

Again why would they want to track you? all they need is a file they downloaded from you and a record of the address they connected to get that file

Anyways I wouldn't loose too much sleep, ireland is small fries compared to other countries.

no offense taken, but in US courts when users have been taken to court, & in media interviews, MPAA & RIAA have both said they will hack people's systems to find out what they are holding & sharing out illegally - articles on this are freely available on ZDNet News....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

One of the ways to avoid connecting to/being connected from known IP addresses of MPAA/RIAA/flunkies is to use Protowall or peerguardian or similar... they wont stop them all ... just most of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

what's the story with downloading music video clips? are RIAA only focusing on mp3 files being shared? i mean can downloading a music video clip be put into the same category of illegal copyright infringement as mp3 sharing is??? I reckon downloading music videos may be a loophole around this , anyone care to coment on this?

sorry i know this is slightly ot but can u tell me how to get back onto paddyland mutant.

As for music vids no the riaa are not watchhing these downloads, sure go onto mtvs site and u can download them from there
    enough said and if u want to bother ur arse to extract the audio and convert it to mp3 go ahead, but it seems a bit paranoid to me i mean its very unlikely ull be done for downloading mp3s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

the address is: irishdcplusplus.no-ip.org:2000

you forgot the port number at the end

• Advertisement

The RIAA and MPAA seem to only be concerned with films

no offense taken, but in US courts when users have been taken to court, & in media interviews, MPAA & RIAA have both said they will hack people's systems to find out what they are holding & sharing out illegally - articles on this are freely available on ZDNet News....

True they have said that.

But they havn't (to my knowlege) done that yet and they are having enough success just doing it the way I mentioned. They don't need to "hack" people to track them or even sue them.

While i'm on the subject the RIAA an MPAA are American organisations and they have no special legal powers above any ordinary joe soap. They are simply organisation theat represent copyright holders in their respective fields and more recently have sued on behalf of them. Although they have been very sucessful as portraying themselves as some sort of legal agency .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i thought it was only illegal to share something, not to download it? in which case bittorent could nab you cause your always on the up aswell as the down but kazaa could be used alright if you turned off sharing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

No, it's just as illegal to download.
    They are often more interested in who is uploading though, stop them and you're stoping downloads.

how di i change to port 2000 mutant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Bring up mIRC options (assuming you're using mIRC).
    Where it says connect to IRC server and all that.
    Click the Add button at the top right.
    Fill in the details there.
    Then click Add when you're finished.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

never knew u were a fan of s club 7 mutant fruit!;)

and dirty dancing too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

dont ask me to find quote's on the net. but was in chartbusters the other day and they had one of their stupid "entertainment news" snippits.

but the mentioned a number of test case's in europe and a number of pple settling out of court for dl'ing music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Your ISP won't disconnect you for it ....... they are not being pro-active about this, nor will they until Irish/European laws in relation to this change, & they are forced to.... so share & download away....

I know several people who've been given cease and desist notices from their ISP's (eircom and irish broadband), and iirc one of them was told by eircom they'd be disconnected. I'll double check.

• Advertisement

I havent heard of anyones connection actually being ceased for it yet

Advertisement